Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swap car insurance provider?  (Read 1315 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:23:12 »

Current car insurance policy is £415pa and expires in April. Cancellation fee £60 but will refund (negligible) remaining period of insurance. So I’d lose about £45.

Best quote I can find now is £315, beginning about 3 weeks away (sweet spot) with exactly the same excess etc. So this policy is £100 cheaper; £55 overall after the £45 loss of cancelling current policy.

Do I gain for paying £315/12x3 instead of £415/12x3 for Feb/Mar/April? Can’t get my head around that bit.

Also not sure what the car insurance market is like with regard to going up or down in the future. Inflation would say up but I think they recently dropped?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:36:39 »

Although you've got a quote within the three week spot which is guaranteed on their system call them a couple more times throughout the week as you may still get it cheaper.

So, give no fucks
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 13:34:50 »

Can anyone advise whether it's better to lock in to the £315 now or wait a couple of months?

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 13:51:36 »

Who knows? Shrug

If it were me, a £55 saving isn't worth the effort.
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 15:49:24 »

I would check if your current insurer will also give you this years no claims proof as you are cancelling mid term. Potentially they won’t so could be pointless moving for that little saving. Unless you have over 9 years then it doesn’t matter. As a rule of thumb, insurance is a lot cheaper currently due to the pandemic. People are driving less, less accidents and bigger savings for insurers. This will most like continue for sometime as peoples working habits have changed dramatically with more of us working from home and not commuting.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 16:01:15 »

Thanks, that's really helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: