Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The good old days  (Read 8540 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:53:13 »

I'll be dead by then  Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:54:06 »

Same here😀

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #47 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 09:03:58 »

It's always been the same though really. Not the kids fault today that your generation had fuck all growing up  Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #48 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 10:28:43 »

No surprise for you all to learn that I grew up in East Devon. 'The good old days' were when the sun shone, the grass had been cut, and the air was warm and balmy in the evenings, that memory will live with me for ever. But, it's wet, often it is wet, and very wet. Oh, and it can be windy, very windy. There are plenty of 'chocolate box' villages, cream teas, caravans stuck in country lanes, and cows. I feckin hate the accent, couldn't give a shit whether the cream went on first or not, and I hated the fact that you seemed cut off from the world, miles from anywhere, because, well it is. It is also chockfull of retirees (especially in Torquay hee hee).

The Cup away trip to Norwich was an absolute nightmare by coach, west to east see, still have them about that particular trip. Sunderland was better, south to north, but heck what a trek that was. I know Plymuff has it worse, but time has stopped still down there, no calendars or clocks, and they don't even notice long journeys.

I love Swindon, especially its location, its accent, there's a kind of westcountry burr/cockney mix thing going on, and has far fewer cows and pensioners, always a bonus. Cotwolds to the north, Downs to the south, pop to Wales, Bath or the smoke and think nothing of it. Bliss.

Went to watch Purton v Redhouse yesterday in the Cricklade Cup, cracking little village, sun shining, brilliant views of the countryside, I really felt at home, just like the good old days.
I did the opposite to you, brunged up in Swindon Smiley move down South Somerset/Devon/Dorset border 20 years ago.

Its like chalk and cheese, I am proud to be from Swindon even if every time I go back it seems to have deteriorated in several ways all my family are still there, sons, sister, cousins, granddaughter etc.

The place seems a bit run down especially the town centre but the position of the town is wonderful for London, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham etc with all under and hour away, living down here London is 3 hours by car or 3 and a half hours on a train, Bristol is over an hours drive away but yes I am only 10 mins from the sea side which is a benefit.

The pace of life down here is far slower and public transport is mythical, there is no home delivery "fast food" for 20 miles in each direction, the nearest railway stations are 8 to 10 miles away and 25 if you want a proper service, if you have no car then you have no way of getting about if you are even slightly infirm.

We get flooded out once a year and the town/village landlocked even though it doesn't affect us it does the area hugely, if you want anything to eat then the last shops shut by 8 and thats just a small shop.

The place is constantly full of grockles and caravans, and I mean constantly all year with no rest even during lockdown, any houses that come on the market are bought by weathly out of towners who often bid well above the asking price just to get out of the rat race, there is no social housing for my daughters who both in their 20s still live at home due to there being no council houses/social housing in the area and no chance of being able to afford to buy.

I like living in the country but I do miss the city/town and all its amenities, something my wife has never been used to having grown up in Sherborne/Yeovil, but it was a huge culture shock to me when I moved down 20+ years ago.

Beautful area but bloody hell its miles from anywhere, we end up going to your former city Exeter for any form of shopping/entertainment and even that is half an hour drive away.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 10:59:29 »

The good old days represent the time when you had your youth.

Nothing to see here
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:05:07 »

The good old days represent the time when you had your youth.

True but also a time when you wanted to leave school and be an adult.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:10:05 »

I did the opposite to you, brunged up in Swindon Smiley move down South Somerset/Devon/Dorset border 20 years ago.

Its like chalk and cheese, I am proud to be from Swindon even if every time I go back it seems to have deteriorated in several ways all my family are still there, sons, sister, cousins, granddaughter etc.

The place seems a bit run down especially the town centre but the position of the town is wonderful for London, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham etc with all under and hour away, living down here London is 3 hours by car or 3 and a half hours on a train, Bristol is over an hours drive away but yes I am only 10 mins from the sea side which is a benefit.

The pace of life down here is far slower and public transport is mythical, there is no home delivery "fast food" for 20 miles in each direction, the nearest railway stations are 8 to 10 miles away and 25 if you want a proper service, if you have no car then you have no way of getting about if you are even slightly infirm.

We get flooded out once a year and the town/village landlocked even though it doesn't affect us it does the area hugely, if you want anything to eat then the last shops shut by 8 and thats just a small shop.

The place is constantly full of grockles and caravans, and I mean constantly all year with no rest even during lockdown, any houses that come on the market are bought by weathly out of towners who often bid well above the asking price just to get out of the rat race, there is no social housing for my daughters who both in their 20s still live at home due to there being no council houses/social housing in the area and no chance of being able to afford to buy.

I like living in the country but I do miss the city/town and all its amenities, something my wife has never been used to having grown up in Sherborne/Yeovil, but it was a huge culture shock to me when I moved down 20+ years ago.

Beautful area but bloody hell its miles from anywhere, we end up going to your former city Exeter for any form of shopping/entertainment and even that is half an hour drive away.

Gorse hill isn't as you may remember it as it's now really run down.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #52 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:51:00 »

Gorse hill isn't as you may remember it as it's now really run down.
None of my relatives live there now they have all moved to other parts of Swindon, I still drive through all parts of the town when I come up to visit, none of it is the same now TBH, I still miss it though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:52:59 »

Extremely disappointed no-one's mentioned white dog shit in this thread yet
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:57:29 »

Extremely disappointed no-one's mentioned white dog shit in this thread yet

It's still around if you look closely😀

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 12:04:04 »

None of my relatives live there now they have all moved to other parts of Swindon, I still drive through all parts of the town when I come up to visit, none of it is the same now TBH, I still miss it though.

The new houses pin Tadpole and North Swindon are nice but you pay a premium and have really small gardens

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 13:48:15 »

I know there is a thread to discuss old members (people that used to post on here, not granddad penises!!) but I can't find it so putting it here instead.

I was looking through some of my old DMs, and came across a couple of names that used to be pretty regular posters on here. 'Sade' who was a really nice woman who offered to text me Swindon updates from one of the games she was going to be at as I was going to be at a wedding, and 'Spencer White' who used to be quite busy on here. He DMd me once to offer me tickets to a Rangers game as I lived in Scotland at the time.

I wonder what both are up to these days.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 13:52:47 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 13:55:36 »

'Sade' who was a really nice woman who offered to text me Swindon updates from one of the games she was going to be at as I was going to be at a wedding,

Is that a euphemism you sly old dog....  Wink Wink Cheesy
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 13:57:21 »

Is that a euphemism you sly old dog....  Wink Wink Cheesy

moi!!  Embarrassed

Nah, boringly that was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 13:59:04 »

Disappearing members Bobster. Not by way of getting fat  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: