Print
Author Topic: Sparky  (Read 1852 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« on: Monday, February 15, 2021, 19:27:39 »

Need a fuse board upgrading/replacing.

All works ok but just not to today’s standard. What would this sort of thing cost?

Any recommendations on someone who would do it cash in hand?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
china red

« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 15, 2021, 19:41:16 »

You Swindon based?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 09:36:06 »

All works ok but just not to today’s standard. What would this sort of thing cost?

What links to the fuseboard, if its the mains supply directly then you have to get the supplier to move the supply which gets very pricey.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 09:47:19 »

Yeah, I wouldn't be getting notifiable work like that done cash-in-hand unless you know the electrician really well.

What links to the fuseboard, if its the mains supply directly then you have to get the supplier to move the supply which gets very pricey.

You can always pull the main supply fuse at the meter as my, er, friend did when they had their consumer unit replaced by a trusted family member.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 09:52:58 »

Yeah, I wouldn't be getting notifiable work like that done cash-in-hand unless you know the electrician really well.

You can always pull the main supply fuse at the meter as my, er, friend did when they had their consumer unit replaced by a trusted family member.

Can you do that?  Wink
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 10:08:20 »

Well, technically it needs to be done by the network operator.

Obviously at the time there was an electrical issue at the property that meant the main fuse needed to be immediately disconnected for safety...

When my friend later had a smart meter installed and the engineer had to remove the same fuse, he made no comment about the fact it was missing the security tag and replaced it with a new one.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 10:18:52 »

I wouldn't hire anyone cash in hand, why should they get away without contributing taxes like most people? Also, work needs certification.
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 10:45:13 »

It would depend on the size of consumer unit, number of circuits etc, but usually a day's labour and cost of materials.

Cost of consumer unit can vary from £60 for basic dual RCD one to about £200 for one with RCBOs for each circuit, plus SPD if required.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 14:15:30 »

I wouldn't hire anyone cash in hand, why should they get away without contributing taxes like most people? Also, work needs certification.

Grass! Smiley Smiley

Clems Army!
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 15:49:03 »

Not sure on cost but you could try CS Electrical Contractors  https://www.cs-elec.co.uk/
Colin the owner is an old mate of mine, but i agree with 4D (that's a first) this isn't a job to be done cash in hand, as you need to have it Certified if you try to sell the house.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 15:49:06 »

Anyone will take cash. Most reputable trades people will take a bank tranny and or a cash payment. It depends whether you want an invoice, warranty and a proper job by a certified trades person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: