Hope - 0 (0%)
Pitman - 2 (3.4%)
Stevens - 1 (1.7%)
J Grant - 0 (0%)
Broadbent - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 52

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon T vs Bristol R MoM  (Read 4894 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 18:18:37 »

Hopefully a bit of perspective will be restored on the TEF after that. Not pretty, but several players put in a proper shift, admittedly against limited opposition.

Outside of Pitman, has anyone claimed that our players have not been putting in proper shifts?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 18:26:58 »

So all that getting forward to suppport Smith, a
a couple of runs into the box and even a shot or two went unnoticed by you then???

no it highlights it me even more??? he is very much a cb playing at rb is my point. runs forwards dossnt know what to do then back tracks. you can see smith waiting for overlaps throughout the game. Smith knows that a rb or a caddis would always be an option on the overlap and you could see that Smith always had to cut inside then keep going on his own. his shot from 30 yards when he panicked with options is the same.

as I said this isnt a criticism it is a cb playing at rb issue and he played well but it shows his limitations in that position.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 19:10:29 »

Outside of Pitman, has anyone claimed that our players have not been putting in proper shifts?

You might be looking for the wrong argument. The comment about shifts related to today's game. The comment about perspective related to the amount of wrist-slashing that went on here after Tuesday night. You can't extrapolate for the whole season from either performance in isolation.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 20:15:38 »

You might be looking for the wrong argument. The comment about shifts related to today's game. The comment about perspective related to the amount of wrist-slashing that went on here after Tuesday night. You can't extrapolate for the whole season from either performance in isolation.

Have you still not got over Tuesday and the fact people had a different opinion to you?
The "wrist-slashing" comment is rather extreme.

Come on RF, just enjoy the fucking win.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 23:03:01 »

Have you still not got over Tuesday and the fact people had a different opinion to you?
The "wrist-slashing" comment is rather extreme.

Come on RF, just enjoy the fucking win.

I dont think RF original post needed questioning.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 22, 2020, 07:46:27 »

Matt Smith (obviously) and Donohue the stand outs.

Nice to see Baudry put a composed performance in.

Surprised to see four votes for Odibayo - completely limited with the ball and that flick near the end in our own box almost cost us the game. He wasn’t bad, and he isn’t bad, but just not sure he was or is particularly good either.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 22, 2020, 09:26:42 »

Matt Smith (obviously) and Donohue the stand outs.

Nice to see Baudry put a composed performance in.

Surprised to see four votes for Odibayo - completely limited with the ball and that flick near the end in our own box almost cost us the game. He wasn’t bad, and he isn’t bad, but just not sure he was or is particularly good either.

Agree re Matt S., Donohue and Baudry.

I too was surprised to see 4 votes for Odimayo but this was his first game as a FB.  It might not be saying much but for a 20 year old to come from Hungerford this time last year and be the best central defender, even at Swindon, is definitely "good".  IMO.

Whilst his flick was nearly an assist for a late equaliser, it would not have been a mistake.  Letting the ball continue into the penalty box would have been and he did quite well to prevent that given his body position.  Offensively, I agree.  He wasn't great but for a first game in that position, we got we wanted from the young lad.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:18:48 »

I went for Donohue - as did almost everyone else. Solid defensively and decent when bringing the ball out of defence.

It was interesting to read people's thoughts on Odimayo, I personally thought he had a very good game and I'm surprised to read some people say he only passed the ball backwards, I thought he strode forwards with purpose and always looked to move us forwards. Lets not forget J.Smith was knacked and so his movement was severely hindered and therefore couldn't really link up with him as much as he probably wanted to. Also unless my memory is playing terrible tricks on me, I can remember him second half overlapping well and actually putting crosses into the box?? I think he's going to be a very decent replacement for Caddis eventually.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:26:35 »

Not MOM, but I thought Kovar was a lot better. Asides from a couple of fumbles, one of which may not have been his fault.

A good save toward the end, too.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:27:59 »

Not MOM, but I thought Kovar was a lot better. Asides from a couple of fumbles, one of which may not have been his fault.

A good save toward the end, too.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't think he lacks any confidence for a young keeper anyway and hopefully he gets better and better.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:55:14 »

Just to note that this weekend's MoM winner attracted the highest number of votes of any MoM to date which, while merited, slightly surprised me.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 13:23:34 »

I went for Donohue - as did almost everyone else. Solid defensively and decent when bringing the ball out of defence.

It was interesting to read people's thoughts on Odimayo, I personally thought he had a very good game and I'm surprised to read some people say he only passed the ball backwards, I thought he strode forwards with purpose and always looked to move us forwards. Lets not forget J.Smith was knacked and so his movement was severely hindered and therefore couldn't really link up with him as much as he probably wanted to. Also unless my memory is playing terrible tricks on me, I can remember him second half overlapping well and actually putting crosses into the box?? I think he's going to be a very decent replacement for Caddis eventually.
Good point.  Caddis is our most talented FB going forward imo.  He gives a defender pause for thought as to whether he will go outside and cross decently or cut inside and then look for an array of passing options.  Despite Caddis' defensive canniness,  Odimayo has shown himself to be decent defensively and is faster, stronger and taller/springier than Caddis.

If he can develop a good partnership with a wing or midfielder, then he could become very decent offensively. If you have good lungs and can cross half decently then you can be very dangerous.  Johnny Smith, and indeed Matt, could work well with Akin O offensively, imo.  Overall, I've found Rob Hunt performing below his previous standards, albeit on his unfavoured lhs.

Plenty of potential.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 13:48:10 »

Credit to Kovar for improving but I'd say his lack of confidence in coming for the ball (still evident and nearly costly on Saturday) for now a quarter of the season has been expensive. 

Whether better defensive or goalkeeping coaching is more to blame, I do not know.  By contrast, a less needy keeper of experience, as good or bad as any other L1 defender, might be expected to help organise a struggling defence. 

Tbf to Kovar, he is an excellent prospect whom I enjoy watching and seeing improving.  If he were our own, I'd be excited and would readily accept dropping a few points to see him develop.  Accumulating points is a higher priority than developing young players for other clubs however and Kovar was not quite ready imo. 

Would prefer to see an experienced keeper targeted for January.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 14:06:13 »

Credit to Kovar for improving but I'd say his lack of confidence in coming for the ball (still evident and nearly costly on Saturday) for now a quarter of the season has been expensive. 

Whether better defensive or goalkeeping coaching is more to blame, I do not know.  By contrast, a less needy keeper of experience, as good or bad as any other L1 defender, might be expected to help organise a struggling defence. 

Tbf to Kovar, he is an excellent prospect whom I enjoy watching and seeing improving.  If he were our own, I'd be excited and would readily accept dropping a few points to see him develop.  Accumulating points is a higher priority than developing young players for other clubs however and Kovar was not quite ready imo. 

Would prefer to see an experienced keeper targeted for January.
I think Fryer is on about the same level as Kovar but nobody is backing him, Fryer made a couple of similar saves to the one Kovar made at the weekend in his last match vs Accrington but because of his earlier slip ups they were glossed over.

Fact is he still made 1 mistake that nearly cost us and blatantly made no attempt to get even close to the one that hit the post.

If that was Fryer that made the same mistakes he would have been called the worst keeper in the world....again by some of our fans.

Fact is we have 2 poor keepers and badly need a better one as soon as we can get one/afford one.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: