Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New iPad Air  (Read 6706 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 13:07:03 »

I am thinking about buying the latest iPad Air. Does anyone have one? Are you pleased with your purchase or do you regret not buying an iPad Pro (or waiting for the next Pro model)?

I appreciate that a lot depends on what you propose to use it for.

I use a tablet for the usual sort of stuff- streaming, email, surfing, games and some video editing. 

Many thanks

Nothing to see here
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 13:26:51 »

Interested in what others say - Had some's old ipad to use with Zwift Companion app, but it no longer works with the latest version. Keep pinching the wife's newer one - She hates me doing it and won't swap with the old ipad (eventhough it would run all the things she wants)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
china red

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 13:38:55 »

I have an iPad Pro, the only benefit to it for me is that it has 4 speakers rather than 2
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 14:01:51 »

Unless you are going to really work the tablet hard (which it doesn't look like you are) I would just go for the cheapest one that meets your requirements with obvs latest IOS so all apps run.

I got a new bog standard ipad last Christmas when my older one stopped supporting one or 2 apps I regualalry used (eg BBC Sounds) and it has been perfect for me.  Wife is still using the old one as she only uses it for web/mail/games and all is fine though I am thinking of getting her a new one just to update/protect against apps not being supported in the future.

In short - I wouldn't bother with anything too expensive unless you truly need the spec.  £579 for 64gb IPad air versus only £329/£429 for 32gb/128gb ipad makes the argument for standard ipad compelling for me.

No one kills a thread like me....
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 14:39:13 »

I have the new Ipad air, it does what I need it to do, slightly bigger screen than the standard Ipad and quicker than my old Ipad which was a standard one - as you say it depends on what you are going to use it for.

I use it for Ifollow, Zoom, Netflix and general browsing, especially when in the normal world I would be travelling a lot for work.

I don't use it enough to justify going for a Pro, don't get me wrong, i would prefer one - but the pricing is so much out of kilter with the standard/air it's not worth it for me.  My daughter has one but she does a lot of art/design and college work on it, so more justified.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 15:15:31 »

Unless you are going to really work the tablet hard (which it doesn't look like you are) I would just go for the cheapest one that meets your requirements with obvs latest IOS so all apps run.

I got a new bog standard ipad last Christmas when my older one stopped supporting one or 2 apps I regualalry used (eg BBC Sounds) and it has been perfect for me.  Wife is still using the old one as she only uses it for web/mail/games and all is fine though I am thinking of getting her a new one just to update/protect against apps not being supported in the future.

In short - I wouldn't bother with anything too expensive unless you truly need the spec.  £579 for 64gb IPad air versus only £329/£429 for 32gb/128gb ipad makes the argument for standard ipad compelling for me.

Noted, many thanks.  I haven't completely ruled out the 'basic' model.  I suppose I should go to the local store and have a look at both of them.

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 15:19:40 »

The slightly bigger screen is worth it, and my thought between the 2 is that the air is likely to last longer as far as speed to goes to justify the additional cost.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 15:21:42 »

The slightly bigger screen is worth it, and my thought between the 2 is that the air is likely to last longer as far as speed to goes to justify the additional cost.

Yeah it occurred to me it should have a longer 'shelf life'.

Nothing to see here
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 15:44:14 »

Just took another look at the I-pad air to avoid i-follow adverts.  Certainly seems more (foreseeable) future proof the 2020 i-pad.

One thing struck me was it is USB c connection - I am not an Apple user/fan other than i-pad, but are they moving away from Lightning connectors?  I wonder if they are going to revamp the i-pad/do away with it and replace with the air only.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 15:51:09 »

Just took another look at the I-pad air to avoid i-follow adverts.  Certainly seems more (foreseeable) future proof the 2020 i-pad.

One thing struck me was it is USB c connection - I am not an Apple user/fan other than i-pad, but are they moving away from Lightning connectors?  I wonder if they are going to revamp the i-pad/do away with it and replace with the air only.

Ive got the iphone 12 and its a lightning connection with a usb c connection. Which is great, if they give you a usb c plug. But they dont.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 16:01:56 »

Ive got the iphone 12 and its a lightning connection with a usb c connection. Which is great, if they give you a usb c plug. But they dont.

Standard Apple marketing strategy, like a crack feeder. They get many hooked on the brand. It's a great marketing strat but ethics goes out the window.

A real shame the way Apple has gone. They were always about interoperability but in their "i" series of products it is now so far away from that.

Edit: Oh and there is usually better or at least matchable products for less $$$$

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:08:58 »

Which leads to another thread maybe - what is the best alternative to an i-pad? I have never looked at any other tablets so haven't a clue.  Even though I have an I-pad I am a much bigger fan of android/samsung phones over i-phones.  I have an i-phone for work that I dont really like, and a personal Samsung mid range thing that I love (third Samsung I have had I think).  Would an Android tablet be good alternative path to go down?

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:20:07 »

Which leads to another thread maybe - what is the best alternative to an i-pad? I have never looked at any other tablets so haven't a clue.  Even though I have an I-pad I am a much bigger fan of android/samsung phones over i-phones.  I have an i-phone for work that I dont really like, and a personal Samsung mid range thing that I love (third Samsung I have had I think).  Would an Android tablet be good alternative path to go down?

I had previously looked at a Surface but the Go 2 didn't appear to have 'enough' power and the better models seemed quite pricey.

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 18:35:07 »

It didn't take long for the inevitable Apple sheep theory to get raised.  I want a phone and a tablet to work for me, and Apple does.  Have tried Android and found it cumbersome and frustrating to use.  Apple does exactly what I need it to do, i know where everything is and how it works - but I don't see android users as suckers for using it because Android happens to work for them and they have a different opinion.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 21, 2020, 18:57:27 »

It didn't take long for the inevitable Apple sheep theory to get raised.  I want a phone and a tablet to work for me, and Apple does.  Have tried Android and found it cumbersome and frustrating to use.  Apple does exactly what I need it to do, i know where everything is and how it works - but I don't see android users as suckers for using it because Android happens to work for them and they have a different opinion.

I wasn't saying that Apple products are wholly poor but they are more focused on marketing the brand than making better products these days. Recent launches of products that are not as good as the previous generation or just rehashes of a previous generation to me is pure robbery but very good marketing nonetheless. The interoperability thing is true though, they've pretty much totally abandoned that process. Which is definitely a shame. It was part of their core (no pun).

You're correct on the user element though, pass me an iPhone and temporarily it is like I been passed an alien object never before seen on Epsilon-5, I mean Earth. Especially the top/bottom element on swiping down/up etc. It's soon conditioned for the user but yes we all like what we like/become comfortable with.

For me it's kind of like if the Xbox had the licence for TLoU then I wouldn't need a PlayStation. That's another issue though but I would like to see true cross-platform gaming sometime soon because the actual tech between consoles is now getting to the negligible end of things; like Apple/Android the market share via "loyalty" means there is no reason why not to integrate C-PG.

Anyway, you can't bang on about people sniping at each other when you've had your own subtle dig here too  Cheesy Not having a go by the way, you're a good bloke but it was just an observation and I couldn't resist letting you know Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: