Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Sam Burton  (Read 2308 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 15:24:30 »

Former keeper, 93. Grand old age.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 15:25:25 »

RIP Sam, one of the first players my Dad remembers watching. A Legend at Swindon.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 15:30:53 »

How very sad, likewise my old man talked very fondly of him, I believe he lived near my old man when he was playing for the club.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/remembering-sam-burton-1926-2020/

RIP Sam!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 15:44:15 »

RIP Sam. A true Town legend.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 15:59:18 »

My dad was always speaking about him, pretty sure my dad said he used to own a transport cafe after retiring close to where my dad worked in Lyneham as a lorry driver.

RIP Sam.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 17:27:03 »

RIP Sam.  I saw him play many times when I was a kid.  He always wore a green jumper and long baggy shorts, and he didn't mind craftily  punching the opponent as well as the ball. As I remember from the Stratton Bank. It was tough for goalies in those days, they could be bundled in the net and no free kick.

ust be the oldest
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 19:20:00 »

A little before my time (Turner was keeper when I first went) but heard of him. RIP
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 19:43:05 »

My dad was always speaking about him, pretty sure my dad said he used to own a transport cafe after retiring close to where my dad worked in Lyneham as a lorry driver.

RIP Sam.
Dad was totally correct!  Went in there when the first moon landings were happening, saw the historic moment
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 20:43:02 »

My Dad's hero growing up as a budding goalkeeper.
I introduced him to the Loathed Strangers podcast with Sam, and he absolutely loved it.

RIP Sam, you bonafide legend.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 9, 2020, 14:23:24 »

Response from my old man when I emailled him to tell him...

Another link with my past severed!  Sad news indeed, but he had a long life which I hope he enjoyed   I have vivid memories of him and his playing days with Swindon.

He obviously eventually married, but I can only remember him living with his Mum probably about half a mile from my home in Pinehurst.  At that time, the best player Swindon had was probably Billy Lucas who was an inside forward, either No 8 or No10 (old terminology), who had played for Wales.

Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 9, 2020, 14:44:33 »

RIP Sam.  I saw him play many times when I was a kid.  He always wore a green jumper and long baggy shorts, and he didn't mind craftily  punching the opponent as well as the ball. As I remember from the Stratton Bank. It was tough for goalies in those days, they could be bundled in the net and no free kick.

Saw him play in the late 50’s, always gave me the impression that you would not want to tangle with him! RIP Mr Burton.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: