Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: American Football college seasons  (Read 8270 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 09:52:15 »

Been watching Last Chance U on Netflix, which I've found enjoyable but in places baffling as I'm not a fan of American egg chasing. One thing in particular that puzzles me is when their season (sporting not TV) runs to/from? And is it different for the junior colleges? They seem to start the season in late summer/autumn but then it looks like they finish in December? Which seems awfully short. If that is correct (and it may just be the way it comes across in the programme and/or me being a doofus), then what do they do for the rest of the year? Do they have two or three "seasons" in a calendar year? Or just a very long break in between each short season?

And is this just a junior college thing or do all the colleges do this? Or dovetail into each other's seasons as you get higher up the ladder somehow?

Apologies if I'm being a complete idiot here (wouldn't be the first time). But I thought I'd ask as I know there's a few NFL fans on here who might be able to enlighten me
Panda Paws

« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 10:37:49 »

I think...

JuCo runs from the start of the academic year to December, with bowl matches and play-offs perhaps extending that. Same as the College season, and the NFL season.

LCU is amazing. Didn't love the most recent series though. Definitely the least interesting. Check out QB1 on Netflix too - similar vibe.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 11:49:19 »

If you have a batshit crazy scene stealing Head Coach then you need to replace him accordingly. They did not.

Slight derail but I know the usual collegiate soccer season begins in August and is over for most in November (with the NCAA Championship game in December). Former Town youth goalkeeper Declan Lehmann has recently joined the wonderfully named Dragons of Tiffin University.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 12:48:50 »

Cheers guys. So it's just a really short season then? So what do they do the rest of the year?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 12:51:33 »

Cheers guys. So it's just a really short season then? So what do they do the rest of the year?

Friendlies, tours, gym work and, y'know, earning their degrees Smiley

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 12:52:23 »

Friendlies, tours, gym work and, y'know, earning their degrees Smiley
How odd. But then they're a very odd bunch.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:19:47 »

US collegiate sport is a very strange concept to grasp for any of us this side of 'the pond' but a fascinating one. Top college football coaches get paid millions...as much if not more than NFL coaches in some cases and the top teams play in front of 80-100,000+ every week. And they're just 'college kids'...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:34:04 »

Is the Michigan Stadium still the biggest? Well over 100,000. College pride is a heck of a thing, not something we share in the UK.

Up the mighty Plymouth Blitz...!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:40:26 »

Is the Michigan Stadium still the biggest? Well over 100,000.
'kin 'ell !  Jawdrop
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:48:24 »

'kin 'ell !  Jawdrop

It's a Wiki rabbit hole I venture down from time-to-time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._stadiums_by_capacity
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 14:07:46 »

To consider the support of College Football teams, you should relate it to following Swindon.  Professional sports teams came about many years after College and are limited in locations, plus they franchise and vanish every so often.  That has meant local support tends to be College based, on top of the College student base themselves.  Where I live, about 35 miles South of Atlanta, I can find Georgia Bulldog fans (based out of Athens GA) and Alabama fans.  A bit further South and you get more Alabama and then start finding Auburn.

On top of that, the College system here does manage to create a sort of life lasting affinity with it's students.  Wherever they go after Uni, they continue to refer to it with pride - I'm involved in lots of conversations where 50 year old businessmen from different companies will figure out they went to the same College and sidetrack discussion for 15 minutes.

College sport also has significant female following as well, it's a true family affair.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 14:09:28 »

Is the Michigan Stadium still the biggest? Well over 100,000. College pride is a heck of a thing, not something we share in the UK.

Up the mighty Plymouth Blitz...!

They are also quite loud, not like the more sanitised version you see in NFL & MLB etc.  Much closer to a proper football crowd.  In fact, College football crowds remind me of the Dutch national team fans.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 14:37:01 »

To robs point - 1 minute 20

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 14:59:10 »

Bloody hell, that's impressive.