Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bit of fun....  (Read 6555 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:05:40 »

The goal scoring list seems low numbers even for league games only. I think Doughty might make the list just behind Obika.

Would love to see a top 10 league goal scorers for the 80s and 90s decade. Feeling it would be higher with Mayes, Rowland, Chalky, Bamber, Quinn and Deadly Dunc

Mayes and Rowland scored a fair few in 78/79...79/80. You had White and Shearer on 87 and 79, then then spread is pretty much like for the last 20 years, perhaps a few more around the 30 goal mark.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:07:37 »

Parkin
Cox
Paynter
Austin

There's the gimmes.
Eoin Doyle another gimme and Reg's unsung striker Michael Smith
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:12:04 »

Peacock?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:18:02 »

Matt Ritchie has to make this list surely?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
stfcben

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:34:30 »

Tommy Mooney?
Rory Fallon?
« Last Edit: Friday, September 18, 2020, 19:37:08 by stfcben » Logged
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 20:04:53 »

Doyle
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 08:59:49 »

On the original question, Jerel Ifil's 206 puts him 42nd on the all time list - not a huge surprise that players used to stick around longer than they do now, but interesting to see by how much.

To my shame, I'd never heard of the guy in sixth on the list with over 400 - http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=HUDSONGE - sounds like an absolute unit at the back.

(Full listing here http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/StatAttack/PlayerMostAndLeast.asp?Opposition=NO&Type=Appearances&Order=DESC&Season=)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 09:44:25 »

To my shame, I'd never heard of the guy in sixth on the list with over 400 - http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=HUDSONGE - sounds like an absolute unit at the back.

I know of him as my Dad talks about him a lot. My Dad started going in 48 so saw him play loads, he also remembers George Hunt too who played at the same time (who's 22nd on the list).

As my Dad says, their job in those days was just to get it up the field, no passing around at the back (that would please a few in the North Stand these days).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 09:49:00 »

I know of him as my Dad talks about him a lot. My Dad started going in 48 so saw him play loads, he also remembers George Hunt too who played at the same time (who's 22nd on the list).

As my Dad says, their job in those days was just to get it up the field, no passing around at the back (that would please a few in the North Stand these days).
My Dad started going in the very early 50s and he spoke about him too but I know little of him.

I think a lot of the "get if forrarrrdddd" blokes will actually remember him playing TBF!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:05:14 »

Had to get the Plowman out and check just to be sure. In my 46 years of watching I count 19 that I have had the pleasure of cheering on. Thankfully The Don in my 19, but on his return, and Frank Burrows which I needed to confirm. Does seem that recent players move on much sooner.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:08:37 »

Had to get the Reg out and check just to be sure. In my 46 years of watching I count 19 that I have had the pleasure of cheering on. Thankfully The Don in my 19, but on his return, and Frank Burrows which I needed to confirm. Does seem that recent players move on much sooner.
Reg out?? Plowman. When I type 'Plowman' it puts in pokemon. No idea why Reg has been inserted. I'm off for a beer.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:10:50 »

The 1957 Cup Final - you can get the full match online, shows exactly what that time was like.  It's brutal, but worth a watch just for the keeper who gets taken out, has to go off but later comes back on to play on the wing.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:12:30 »

Reg out?? Reg. When I type 'Reg' it puts in pokemon. No idea why Reg has been inserted. I'm off for a beer.
This is spooky. I type P l o w  m a n and Reg gets inserted. Some in-house joke that I am not aware of?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:12:54 »

Had to get the Plowman out and check just to be sure. In my 46 years of watching I count 19 that I have had the pleasure of cheering on. Thankfully The Don in my 19, but on his return, and Frank Burrows which I needed to confirm. Does seem that recent players move on much sooner.
This is my 46th season too, but I was not lucky enough to have seen Don play a competitve game for Town after his return.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, September 19, 2020, 13:15:51 »

This is spooky. I type P l o w  m a n and Reg gets inserted. Some in-house joke that I am not aware of?

Yes, it gets lost somewhere in the annals of the TEF, but I think it's LL who was convinced that Reg and Paul P are one and the same.

Though I'm not sure I understand you getting your P lowman out any better...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: