Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking Good  (Read 2146 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Sunday, August 16, 2020, 05:48:12 »

Don’t want to rely too much on yesterday’s very promising display - remember, we lost 6-0 to Birmingham last pre season - but there seems to be a continuity still left over from last season. Replacing goals probably being the major sticking point at the moment, but we seem to still be producing enough chances to win a lot of games.

There has obviously been some fairly serious backing from Power et al to attract the likes of DJ and Payne and I’d imagine the loan fees were a fair bit, too. Add to that another 6 players that Wellens wants and it’s looking good for the season ahead.

If we do sign another 6 players won’t our numbers be way over the EFL maximum? Plus I fail to see how we’ll be within the cap - albeit a few of the new players are of an age that they don’t count against the total.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 16, 2020, 06:17:11 »

Definitely,   much better than expected,  never looked overrun by a team a division above us. Although I suspect Coventry underestimated us a bit and possibly didn't play to their full strengths it was a mighty impressive performance.   Looked very good going forward and players seemed to anticipate/know other players next move, something I've not seen so early in the season for many years.   Looking forward to another Wellens triumphant season !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 16, 2020, 07:43:15 »

If we do sign another 6 players won’t our numbers be way over the EFL maximum? Plus I fail to see how we’ll be within the cap - albeit a few of the new players are of an age that they don’t count against the total.

I’d be surprised if we are are anywhere near the wage cap at the moment. We’ve only signed players in positions we have lost - as Wellens said yesterday.

Odimayo is a replacement for REG
Payne is a replacement for Keshi
Smith is a replacement for Rose
T Smith is a replacement for Muskwe
DJ we already had.

I highly doubt Odimayo’s wages are very high, and we won’t be paying much towards the wages of the loan players.
So we should be fine, considering he wants 6 more, and again - they are all to replace players we have lost.

2 x Goalkeepers to replace Benda and McCormick
Winger to replace Isgrove
Winger to replace Woolery
Striker to replace Yates
Striker to replace Doyle

I’d imagine our current wage budget is pretty similar to last season at the moment.

He’s been very shrewd as always, and I’m very confident going in to this season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 16, 2020, 08:41:42 »

Don’t want to rely too much on yesterday’s very promising display - remember, we lost 6-0 to Birmingham last pre season -
6-1 Wink that single goal made all the difference!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 16, 2020, 08:44:53 »

The squad size is limited to players over the age of 21 only at the turn of this year, so no we will be right on limit with 6.

Fryers
Broadbent
Baudry
Reid
Palmer
Doughty
Lyden
Iandolo
Hunt
Conroy
Caddis
Grant
Hope
Payne
DJ
Smith (Sheff Utd)

So that means we currently have just 16 players counting to the squad limit of 22.

Most loans will be U21 players (barring Baxter or Benda) I would imagine so I doubt they will count to it either.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: