Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Favourite Season, Match, Manager & Player  (Read 15423 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #45 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 11:53:48 »

However this all pans out, it's pretty safe to say that this season will end up being a lot of peoples' most memorable one....certainly the weirdest Wink
Damn right mate, memorable in so many way!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Valid Pint

« Reply #46 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 16:16:48 »

I was at the Stoke game, that's also one of my favourites, it was packed our end.

Also at the Southend match in April 1985, Lou Macari came and sat in the North Stand about 4 minutes after kick off, 3 or 4 rows behind me. I'm sure everyone applauded when he came in, people went onto the pitch to protest etc, it was an incredible atmosphere.

Ah yes, the "Southend Seven". They saw a gap in the security & ran on to the pitch as the teams came out. As they were being "processed" by the OB, they heard an all mighty roar from the ground & assumed Town had scored an early goal. In fact it was the cheer greeting Lou's arrival in the stand.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 16:39:21 »

That away game at Northampton under Macari was a right one as well
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 19:19:06 »

Season
79/80 as a young teenager to be a Town fan facing and beating (most) teams from the top division that we played in Stoke, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, getting to the league Cup semis and being one foul away from the final and getting to the 4th round of the FA cup.
Beating Bury 8-0 at home and putting 6 past Rotherham too, an amazing season and for me even more memorable than the Ossie and Hoddle play off seasons. Also having 2 total sell out crowds of 26,000 (even though there were more there) and 22,000 for the Arsenal game. Also playing in front of 2 crowds of around 40,000 in away games.

Match
Arsenal at Home in the above season beating them AET 4-3 with them having an almost entire international team that night.

Manager
Lou Macari, transformed Town from a poor Div 4 side that finished in 17th place in Div 4 to the play offs in the old Div 2 (now the Championship) in 5 years.

Player
So many good players over the years so many to choose from, easier to pick a whole team than a single player.
If I had to pick one it would probably be Chris Kamara, a man who gave everything for Town but had the skills to play in the top division too.

Unbelievable identical to this.
Joint players Kamara being a Pompey lad and Rowland just a wonderful number nine.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 19:31:36 »

Same season for me Duke, skipping school for Arsenal away to be with 8000 Town fans, standing up the Town end flood light in extra time watching us beat Brady, O Leary, Jennings & co. Watching Spurs fans set light to the hot dog stand in the Stratton bank, losing my ticket for the home Wolves semi final and buying from a tout as I left my mates and was about to go home nearly in tears, watching the Wolves players train on the county ground extension in the morning before the game after going for a job interview whilst still at school.

Hoddle as best manager for the class football we played

Hoddle for best player as he was just class even at 36

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 19:56:47 »

The 2003 - 2004 season was a great one as, for time immemorial, we can say that we waz robbed etc

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman

« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 22, 2020, 10:01:13 »

Unbelievable identical to this.
Joint players Kamara being a Pompey lad and Rowland just a wonderful number nine.

Great minds and of similar age probably has something to do with it Wink

woolster

« Reply #52 on: Sunday, March 22, 2020, 21:09:21 »

That away game at Northampton under Macari was a right one as well
was at this one, someone stabbed before the game, afterwards it kicked off, IIRC we won 1.0
Peter Venkman

« Reply #53 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 09:40:38 »

was at this one, someone stabbed before the game, afterwards it kicked off, IIRC we won 1.0
Town fans were stabbed in games vs Northampton on at least 3 occassions in the 80s, also they bottled my old mate Sid Sellars before the Kettering away cup game.

They used to be some nasty fuckers back then. Used to be a shit ground too, open to the elements and with the cricket pitch down the side, we always took a fair few there.

I remember Charlie Henrys goal in that game, we had well over 2,000 fans there for that game almost half the crowd, great but nasty atmosphere in and around the ground.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:10:52 »

Town fans were stabbed in games vs Northampton on at least 3 occassions in the 80s, also they bottled my old mate Sid Sellars before the Kettering away cup game.

They used to be some nasty fuckers back then. Used to be a shit ground too, open to the elements and with the cricket pitch down the side, we always took a fair few there.

I remember Charlie Henrys goal in that game, we had well over 2,000 fans there for that game almost half the crowd, great but nasty atmosphere in and around the ground.

Effectively, only the two ends were open as you had the cricket ground on one side as you say and IIRC, the stand on the other side was condemned. The only way they could accommodate all the Town fans was by erecting a temporary 'rent-a-stand'...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #55 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:13:39 »

Awful ground that should have been condemned way before it was. With awful fans.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:34:34 »

Our lot were no saints afterwards - chased the Cobblers fans all over the place. There was a milk float on the road outside the ground and the air was filled with bottles being flung at them. Remember Macari saying afterwards it was worse than any Rangers-Celtic game!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #57 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:36:50 »

Our lot were no saints afterwards - chased the Cobblers fans all over the place. There was a milk float on the road outside the ground and the air was filled with bottles being flung at them. Remember Macari saying afterwards it was worse than any Rangers-Celtic game!
Oh we gave as good as we got back then! and yes I remember Macari saying that, I had forgotten that until you mentioned it! mental scenes.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 11:47:06 »

Effectively, only the two ends were open as you had the cricket ground on one side as you say and IIRC, the stand on the other side was condemned. The only way they could accommodate all the Town fans was by erecting a temporary 'rent-a-stand'...

I was in the rent-a-stand that day. I also remember Kenny Allen making a blinding save, thankfully didn't come across any trouble after the game.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #59 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 12:00:55 »

I was in the rent-a-stand that day. I also remember Kenny Allen making a blinding save, thankfully didn't come across any trouble after the game.

The temporary stand.

The away end that we filled regularly.

The cricket pitch side.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: