Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Animal tick  (Read 3574 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 20:33:47 »

My Nan has described what sounds like a tick on her cat's face. Can it be removed at home instead of a trip to the vet?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 20:36:09 »

My Nan has described what sounds like a tick on her cat's face. Can it be removed at home instead of a trip to the vet?

Yes, pair of tweezers as close down to the ticks head as possible and make sure you twist as you pull it out.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 07:45:09 »

You can get tick removal tools which help grip the tick at the head and twist it out.  The key is to get the tick as low down as possible, don't leave the head behind.

And wear gloves, you want to avoid any liquid coming out of the tick, it is not good for you and the cat.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 08:20:05 »

Not sure whether its advised anymore but my mum used to just put a dab of nail varnish on the ticks arse as its apparently how they breathe when they are locked on and thus they have to release?

Might be an old wives tale (but seemed to work) as she was from deepest Gloucestershire!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 08:49:57 »

Soak a peice of cotton wool in alcohol or nail varnish remover first that makes it let go so you dont get left with part of the tick still inside, that can cause blood poisining. Soak it for about a minute, tweerer it and twist it off. If you dont see the long middle part that looks like a spiders leg then you havent got all of it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 09:12:16 »

When i was around 10 i for a tick in my nipple from swimming in a lake in Poland.
Just thought you'd like to know that. 
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 10:46:10 »

Our dog got a tick and we took it to the vets, nurse removed it and got charged £35!!  She told me to get a tick removal tool from Amazon for about £4 ando it ourselves in future.  He has had one since and it worked a treat
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 12:31:32 »

When i was around 10 i for a tick in my nipple from swimming in a lake in Poland.
Just thought you'd like to know that. 

Just as well it didn't attach itself to your knackers.
A Polish tick would probably be drunk anyway.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 20:16:45 »

Given it is on a cat two methods spring to mind.  A shotgun blast will definitely sort the tick (some collateral damage possible), or alternatively kill the cat to cut off the food supply to the tick!

I am not a cat lover!

No one kills a thread like me....
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 23:26:00 »

Nail varnish remover and a thimble....drown em...soon let go..

Clems Army!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 4, 2019, 06:15:35 »

Given it is on a cat two methods spring to mind.  A shotgun blast will definitely sort the tick (some collateral damage possible), or alternatively kill the cat to cut off the food supply to the tick!

I am not a cat lover!

Seconded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: