Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Colosseum  (Read 8527 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 20:53:25 »

Anybody been? Trying to buy tickets online and it's as clear as mud  Smiley
Any links, tips, advice welcome  Popcorn
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 21:24:30 »

The Colosseum is amazing from the outside but I was a little disappointed inside if I'm honest. I love Roman history but just feel they could do more with the interactive aspect. Still, quite the sight.

The Forum next door was incredible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:31:00 »

The Colosseum is amazing from the outside but I was a little disappointed inside if I'm honest. I love Roman history but just feel they could do more with the interactive aspect. Still, quite the sight.

The Forum next door was incredible.

I'm interested in the Romano-British period...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/22/mystery-of-chedworth-1800-year-old-roman-glass-shard-solved
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:40:57 »

What's the question - "which ticket" or "when to buy"?

The official website is a bit rubbish, they release tickets in blocks a few months before. You need to buy on that day and as early as possible because they get snapped up very quickly.

If it were me I'd make sure to do the 5th tier over the underground tour. I can't get on the official site from work to see the tickets available for some reason.

Also, if you have to meet inside the Collosium (can't remember where official 'tour in English' starts), make sure you get there in plenty of time. There is airport style security, skip the line still has a line - just shorter. If you meet outside then fine.

I don't recall what the official tour includes. Which I suspect was the actual question.

EDIT . Just checked. We ended up using "The Roman Guy" rather than official tour - can't remember if that was because of unavailability of the official tour or whether it didn't do top tier. Was good but pricey.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:52:31 by Batch » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 07:57:16 »

The official site says adults €12, kids free. It seems you have to use within 48 hours of purchase, but I may be reading that wrong. Anyway, none available. Other sites (and there's a lot!) have them but kids seem to be charged. I'm getting prices for 8 people at around £280  Shocked
Also, it states that kids tickets are purchased at site rather than in advance, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:04:06 »

I agree, the website is shite.  I have no idea on the 48hr thing, normally pre-book is a specific time on a specific day due to visitor number restrictions. Are you sure that's not the price of the 48 hour Roma pass?

When are you going?

I'm getting prices for 8 people at around £280

£35 a head seems cheap if that's a tour Smiley
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2019, 10:06:19 by Batch » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:20:26 »

We've got tickets   Too Cool
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:34:37 »

We've got tickets   Too Cool

Nice one
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:36:42 »

Someone else sorted it and bought from the official site  Embarrassed
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:40:01 »

Someone else sorted it and bought from the official site  Embarrassed

When are you going? Couldn't see any availability earlier, I did try and check Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:42:48 »

PS. if you fancy a closer view of the city than St Peters, there is an elevator to the roof of the "wedding cake" building. Its not obvious its there.

edit: apparently its official building name is "Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II"
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:03:11 »

Some historical sites that I've visited have been quite underwhelming to me (e.g. Machu Picchu) but I thought the Colosseum was amazing.

We also pre-bought tickets to avoid the queues of lemmings. Once inside I would highly recommend the audio tour as it added so much - I really liked the fact that sometimes they used to deliberately flood the arena and put navy battles on in there.

Our ticket included the other areas of the complex, which we did walk around, but I think the best use of time would just be to explore the Colosseum extensively then go for a pizza & Peroni as there wasn't anything else of note for me.
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:06:01 »

Some historical sites that I've visited have been quite underwhelming to me (e.g. Machu Picchu)

Getting there must be an experience in itself, though?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:30:42 »

Ah, the trek there was amazing! 5 days I think. That was part of the underwhelming nature of the end of it seeing the Machu Picchu ruins - it was more or less the same as all the other big sites we had toured on the way, this time set in picture-perfect landscape. That sounds pretty good now actually.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:32:26 by mystical_goat » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 12:46:17 »

PS. if you fancy a closer view of the city than St Peters, there is an elevator to the roof of the "wedding cake" building. Its not obvious its there.

edit: apparently its official building name is "Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II"

Cheers Batchio, I'll put it on the list  Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: