Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WiFi- Internet Speed.  (Read 4774 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 07:31:22 »

Being a bit of a Luddite with all things computers, I am getting pissed off that having upgraded to BT all singing and dancing intergalactic WiFi or whatever the cunts call it (told you I was a Luddite) that all our devices (iPad and phones) are starting to buffer anything video clip or movie related and internet browsing pages like newspapers for example, are slow to load. I want to call BT out on this but am not sure how to go about it.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 08:08:36 »

Have you tried rebooting the router? We had this, seemed to sort the problem out
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 08:26:19 »

Do you know what speed you are getting?  If not go to speedtest.net which will test it and tell you what upload and download speeds you are getting.  BT promise a minimum.  If its the all singing all dancing bullshit they advertise it will be somewhere in the region of 50mbps.  If its below what the paperwork promises call them out on it.

Never knowingly overstated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 08:35:04 »

As Saxondale says, take readings from speedtest.net 3-4 times a day for a few days, maybe first thing in morning, early evening, 8pm ish and last thing at night (so you can prove it's consistently poor, not just a spike or a busy period). Then ring them up and point out they're well below the SLA (if the speeds are below the quoted speed). It may also be worth seeing if you get better speeds from a PC directly connected to the router - i.e. via a wire rather than via WIFI. That would indicate whether the problem is with the connnection to your property or the Wifi signal in the house. If it's the WiFI signal in the house, restarting the router may sort it out, or you may need to adjust the settings, but knowing where the problem lies will save you a lot of time on the phone.

But be prepared to get the runaround from their customer services, they're terrible (or they were a couple of years ago, may have improved since). We signed up for their Inifinity fiber service and it was terrible. And they couldn't/wouldn't fix it. We had 8 weeks of non-returned calls, engineers' visits that didn't happen, broken promises and being outright lied to, plus countless hours on hold waiting to go through the whole saga again every time (because they couldn't maintain a simple case history of what had happened, or if they did they never read it), before we junked the whole lot - broadband, TV and the home phones and went completely 4g for both broadband and phones. As I say, they may have improved since then. But with all these things the more legwork you can do before you get on the phone (like checking if the problem is the connection to the house or WiFi in the house) the more time you will save yourself
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 08:55:27 »

" BT all singing and dancing intergalactic WiFi "

Is this the 100mbps+ fiber to the premise offering?
https://www.bt.com/broadband/ultrafast/

If not and you are confident of logging in to your router, please post your synch speed stats.

It may also be worth seeing if you get better speeds from a PC directly connected to the router -

Defintely this.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 09:52:08 »

Right. Good points thank you. Will start the process tomorrow as i’m home for a few days to revise an exam on Monday. All sound advice, thank again. 👍
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 09:53:47 »

We are on the top BT package and get 100mbps when connected directly but wifi can error fairly quickly with the smarthub.

As Tans says turn it off, I turn ours off once a week to clear all buffers down even if its working OK, wifi will always be slower than wired anyway but we get 100mb all day long even at peak times (we are close to the exchange which helps) with never a drop out at all, as BTs active line management gives priority to the faster lines at peak traffic times anyway.

Do a full reset on the HUB login into it and reset all the settings go to http://192.168.1.254 and make sure it all looks ok and 5ghz band is turned on too which sometimes it isn't out of the box.

If that doesn't work try putting a paperclip into the reset hole on the back for 20 seconds then power it back up.

If that doesn't work and you still have buffering issues then ask BT for a replacement, I have seen a few fail straight out of the box.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 10:06:50 »

We have at best 10mbps and are about 15m from the exchange, the joys of rural living!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 16:36:43 »

We have at best 10mbps and are about 15m from the exchange, the joys of rural living!
TBH we are lucky, where I live in Chard could easily be described as rural! we got BT Ultrafast before the larger towns around us about a year ago.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 16:41:28 »

Normal ADSL got us 2mbps. In Swindon.

Praise the FTTC
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 20:10:50 »

Being a bit of a Luddite with all things computers, I am getting pissed off that having upgraded to BT all singing and dancing intergalactic WiFi or whatever the cunts call it (told you I was a Luddite) that all our devices (iPad and phones) are starting to buffer anything video clip or movie related and internet browsing pages like newspapers for example, are slow to load. I want to call BT out on this but am not sure how to go about it.

I'd be very surprised if it was 100mb. They are notorious for well, Lying.. Even so, even if it is 100mb, then thats to the router, if you have multiple devices on Netflix say streaming over Wifi. Then more than likely it will be slow(er) by a lot, It's also limited by your hardware and wifi signal strength and wouldn't matter if you had mega black hole mega mega broadband to the router
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: