Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Display issue - Acer Aspire laptop  (Read 2440 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 16:29:43 »

I've got this old Acer Aspire (5551) laptop (10+ years old) that I've rescued. I've updated it to Win10 and put hours and hours into getting it running (trackpad wouldn't work, accidentally deleted keyboard from the registry, etc etc) but the display has a habit of going almost completely black when booting up from idle (as in, not switched off). If I hold a torch up to it I can just about see the display, and managed to find a ridiculous solution that actually worked (when booting up, I press down on the middle of the keyboard, effectively 'bending' it).

I did a lot of googling and haven't really found a decent long-term solution - can anyone suggest one or should I just give up and look for an alternative?
« Last Edit: Monday, February 4, 2019, 16:48:08 by ibelieveinmrreeves » Logged

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 18:02:32 »

Sounds a bit like a connector problem inside the lappy, open it up and reseat everything.

Windows 10 does have some older screen driver compatibility problems with portable devices too, when it does boot up make sure Windows 10 is showing up the correct display adapter in devices as that is a known issue when upgrading to Windows 10 on older hardware..

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 18:33:52 »

Good luck in finding drivers for that! We struggle for devices older than 5 years old. Although, Windows 10 is fairly good and finding generic ones.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 08:13:00 »

Drivers seem to be up to date, I'll try re-seating everything and see how that goes. In the meantim, I've stopped the laptop from being able to go into 'sleep' mode as it always happeneds when coming back from sleep mode. I've put it to hibernate instead which has done the job so far.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 09:49:22 »

I have heard also of a lot of problems of laptops going into power saver mode and not being able to come out of it, as you describe, there appears to be no reliable answer as its a known issue on Windows 10 with older hardware.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: