Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444362 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:59:10 »

TBF thats a pretty big rise on population in just the 1960s of about 45%. (obviously changing the subject somewhat) so Town gates didn't rise in proportion to population either.

Some more about it here.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-two-attendances-dons-grimsby-2266318

Ha, mid to low mid table
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:01:14 »

I think I'm pretty much done. Walked away this season over signing of McCormick and apart from the first couple of games I haven't missed it. I'm going to watch Supermarine and really enjoying it. I haven't enjoyed Town for a while now. There are so many things that I'm pissed off about but a lot of these are about league football in general and not specific to Town.
Can't see me coming back (even part time or big games) in the forseeable future - 47 years and out.
Will still spout my bollocks on the non STFC bits on here though.

That's a sad read but totally understandable.

I was sick of it at the end of Lukes reign and just stopped going to the last few games.

Clems Army!
Panda Paws

« Reply #32 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:10:59 »

My mate is a season ticket holder at Pompey and has been for 30+ years and he says the atmosphere is a damp squib this season desipte their position in the league, barely one or 2 Po,pey chimes all game at the moment which is so unlike them.

I would encourage him to have another team as following just Swindon is not good for his health or sanity!

This is really interesting - as I've mentioned before, I watch Watford fairly regularly (4-5 times a season) and away from home it's so refreshing to be involved in a big, positive, proud away following. Palace away a fortnight ago was fantastic. Can definitely see how people slip and slide to new allegiances.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #33 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:14:12 »

Can definitely see how people slip and slide to new allegiances.
Most definately, I just couldn't follow another team though, I go to games locally to me in Somerset/Devon and at bigger grounds from time to time but I personally feel detatched from the experience, a bit like when I see England play, but I fully understand fans wanting to follow bigger better teams as well, teams that win games regularly! reflected glory Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:24:50 »

Who knows, I have been very meh about football generally for a few seasons now, not sure if that is just down to Town or the general cesspit the game has become in terms of cheating and overall bollocks.

Being an exile I only get to 1 or 2 Town games a year, however I get to a fair few non-league games, over the years I have had time following fairly regularly (at home) Gateshead and Lancaster City and less so Workington, need to get myself to a Barrow game this season.

I cannot be arsed with football, whether a Town revival would help who knows.... at least I am not that Spurs lass crying on Twitter.... Video had to be taken down as lots of pervy men started DM'ing the poor lass
« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:50:45 by horlock07 » Logged
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #35 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:44:49 »

This is really interesting - as I've mentioned before, I watch Watford fairly regularly (4-5 times a season) and away from home it's so refreshing to be involved in a big, positive, proud away following. Palace away a fortnight ago was fantastic. Can definitely see how people slip and slide to new allegiances.
I am the same Panda. I have always had a soft spot for Liverpool but over the years could just never justify going to a Liverpool game if Town were playing whether that be home or away. That has changed the last 3-4 years and it hurts me to say that the whole match day experience i enjoy more. Still never really celebrate goals at Liverpool properly and will never have the same buzz
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:57:55 »

In my twenties I would watch almost every live TV game, watch Match of the Day every week etc. I used to love going to Town games (due to living abroad) and really had the buzz.

For about 5 years now, that buzz has gone, I barely watch any live games anymore and often going to see Swindon is proving more of a chore than something I enjoy.

Living in London I have been to a couple of Fulham and Spurs games (going on Wednesday at home v Watford) which I enjoy, only because the standard of football is so high. I 'cheer' on Fulham but its never the same as when Swindon score, it never will be.

the Sky era has more or less sucked the enjoyment out of football these days.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:12:23 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a bit Meh about football. I still avidly follow the Town, go to a few games, more away than home but the whole buzz that was here in the PDC era has long gone. Back in the 80s, 90s, 00s I used to go to games and really expected to win. Nowadays I just hope we don't lose.

As already stated I think football has changed as a whole and spoilt completely by money. The gulf between the rich and the poor has grown to a level where it is so extreme that it has sucked the life out of the domestic cup competitions.

I've been thinking about going to MK and thought I'd take in Bletchley Park with the boy. I'm more excited about planning the trip and visiting BP than the game itself. Read into that what you will.   
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:13:17 »

Great, another wankfest over who goes the least.
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:14:12 »

I could win that one, though.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:18:57 »

Not sure about that.... on reflection I am not sure when I actually last went.....
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:19:40 »

Ahem! ...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:20:18 »

I think that's part of the problem, we have all reached a certain age where we have no fests in life, just kids and discussions about second hand cars, mortgages and thermostats   Cheesy Hmmm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:25:37 »

the Sky era has more or less sucked the enjoyment out of football these days.

I'm not sure it has. Over a life time of fandom, there will always be changes to how you see it.  

So there have been times when due to circumstances I've barely missed a game, then other times when it's not really fitted the lifestyle, so would only do highdays and holidays.

I'm not as rabid as when a lad, but still get the buzz.

However it's quite rare these days to find those with a lifetime commitment, more common are those who maybe go for a bit when things are promising but flake off, when the going gets tough, and become armchair and probably follow a Prem side.

They'll prob only go and watch said Prem side once in a blue moon, esp if Man City, but will talk about it in the pub.

You can see it on here, and of course it's reflected in the gates.

I know a few who are similar about other lower league clubs, and it's always fun to take the piss out of plastic Prem followers.

« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:30:23 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #44 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:29:36 »

Hang on. You made a point of telling everyone when you were going to reading games?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: