Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stereo Fuckwit Question  (Read 4200 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:22:55 »

Right showing my age time....

I have a separates system from about 20 years ago that I have recently uncovered as we are getting the house sorted, CD Player, decent Amp (Denon) and decent speakers. The amp has about 4 inputs but I have only ever really used as a CD player so only used one.

Now my missus mainly uses Spotify for her music needs now, if I buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Streaming-Wireless-Receiver-Speakers/dp/B01CZVCYU0?pd_rd_wg=75oIc&pd_rd_r=f76c1f10-9ecd-4125-adba-5d9845221ec4&pd_rd_w=RoIRe&ref_=pd_gw_wsim&pf_rd_r=Z0BJV1JGFSV1GZTZ2P3W&pf_rd_p=5156d4eb-e61d-58ef-a5df-2b0dcda3c2e5 and plug into the Amp via the RCA adapters (I assume the colours will just tally up on an input like the CD player does, will this work fpor her?

Ta ....
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:32:16 »

Looks the ticket.

Bluetooth obviously means she doesn't need to plug the device in to the stereo to hear Spotify. But if that's not necessary you could use the cheaper solution of cable in to the back of the amp....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-3-5mm-Jack-to-2-x-RCA-Cable-Twin-Phono-Audio-Lead-Stereo-Short-GOLD/351607655560?epid=1242608040&hash=item51dd730c88:g:vwEAAOSwzJ5XZCfl:rk:7:pf:0
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:33:53 by mystical_goat » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:33:37 »

I've got that exact one.
yes you can stream from phone/tablet/anything to it to the receiver.
its mains powered fyi.

the only disadvantage of this is the phone may autoconnect to the receiver when its in range as it's always on. when it does your media sound won't come out the phone unless you turn off Bluetooth (or unplug the receiver.) This may or may not be annoying!
scillyred

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:54:26 »

Showing my age here.......
I also got my expensive old hi fi out of storage - eventually managed to figure out how to connect it up.
It sounded really awful !
I am now developing a Sonos system which is absolutely brilliant.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 13:33:59 »

Get a chromecast audio and a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

The Chromecast Audio will mean you can control the music app from your devices e.g. mobile etc but it will play directly from the internet over WiFi and in theory that means it will sound better than Bluetooth (AptX bluetooth isn't too bad but that adapter isn't' AptX from what I can see). Also Bluetooth gets interrupted by texts and notifications from other apps so it's not very good if you're in a group message which is pinging every 10 seconds.

You can pick up the Chromecast Audio for £30 or less and the additional cable will be cheap enough.

You can also use other apps, BBC Sounds/Iplayer Radio, Google Music, Tidal, Acast, Soundcloud, Spotify etc. The only issue I've had is with Deezer which for some reason the developers can't get to work with Chromecast properly without issues.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 17:24:17 »

Get a chromecast audio and a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Also Bluetooth gets interrupted by texts and notifications from other apps so it's not very good if you're in a group message which is pinging every 10 seconds.

I guess you can turn off notifications for your apps though, obviously not the most practical but if you're driving/entertaining/hosting etc then you're likely not going to be checking on your phone every 5mins. I get your point though.

Another good thing would be a feature within an existing speaker/system that scrapes then replicates your MP3 data (and only that) in their permissions and temporarily stores them in an internal playlist (whilst connected) and then deletes the file 5/10mins after playing. Of course, the item would need a memory chip but would remove the need for any external interruption. Almost like an MP3 Player/iPod Nano but instead of just storing one users playlist, anyone can connect to it (like a Beats Pill/JVC/Ultimate Ears/JBL) but with the added element of the temporary files on the device. There are sites and software that does this but no "at home" device. However there's likely a device out there already but as far as I know, most stuff is either as described above (a WiFi/BlueTooth connection but no Temp or E2EE) or is limited to just an MP3 playback.

Unless anyone on here can enlighten me  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 20:16:05 »

Plenty of ways of doing that, you just need a local server connected to a DAC with something like Bubble UPNP app you can control the music stored locally. I did have a similar setup on my Linux computer using MPD server.

You can buy dedicated network players for hifi too but these start at £500+.

All depends on how techy you want and need, for something simple the Google Chromecast Audio is a decent little network/smart DAC given the cost.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 23:33:52 »

Plenty of ways of doing that, you just need a local server connected to a DAC with something like Bubble UPNP app you can control the music stored locally. I did have a similar setup on my Linux computer using MPD server.

You can buy dedicated network players for hifi too but these start at £500+.

All depends on how techy you want and need, for something simple the Google Chromecast Audio is a decent little network/smart DAC given the cost.

Nice one, I did think there may be some workarounds via an existing app. We're essentially talking about an additional feature to existing devices. Be cool if companies did integrate it into a sub £100 unit.

Yeah the Chromecast is a handy it bit of tech. Cheers Si Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 18:04:02 »

Similar to Si Pie's Chromecast Audio, I have an Echo Dot plugged into my amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. You can link a Spotify account and play stuff with voice commands.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 18:41:13 »

yeah I use my dot + Spotify but with Bluetooth.

complete pain though that every time I disconnect Bluetooth so I can hear through the internal speaker it reconnects.

I solved it with an Alexa enabled Bluetooth plug which the Bluetooth receiver is plugged into.

Win.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 21:53:49 »

Nice to see that there are plenty of work arounds and capitalism hasn't fully taken us over. Kinda. Yet.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 10:52:14 »

Similar to Si Pie's Chromecast Audio, I have an Echo Dot plugged into my amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. You can link a Spotify account and play stuff with voice commands.
Ah that sounds like the most sensible solution as the missus has been looking at Amazon stuff - ta!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: