Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Jewell appointed DOF  (Read 32912 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 18:34:58 »

Smiley 
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 22:35:50 »

As far as I know we have only ever had one other DoF ever and that was Sherwood.

We had a sporting director I think a couple of years back who became Academy Director...Seamus Brady, is that who you thought it was?

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=56223.0
That's the badger

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #62 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 10:48:36 »

From todays adver...

SWINDON Town manager Richie Wellens feels Paul Jewell’s appointment as director of football at the club this week can help lighten the load on his shoulders.

Former Premier League manager Jewell’s arrival at the club was announced on Tuesday morning, resuming a partnership alongside Wellens that began at Oldham Athletic last season.

Back at Boundary Park, Jewell served as Wellens’ assistant manager, but his remit at Town will be away from the training pitch and instead focussed on player recruitment.

Wellens says the volume of prospective signings lower league managers have to appraise can be overwhelming.

Therefore, the Town boss hopes that with someone of Jewell’s experience now casting an eye, potential transfer targets will be vetted more thoroughly and a higher calibre of player brought in.

“Dealing with agents and dealing with player recruitment is quite tough on a manager at times because you get agents emailing you to send videos and making phone calls every single day,” said Wellens.

“There’s that many of them that sometimes it can drain you.

“Paul can dilute the ones that are wasting our time, so that the ones that are serious and the ones that are of a good enough quality to get in, we can then go and have a look at them.

“Paul has obviously got a lot of experience in the game and his eye for a player is very good.

“He has got a lot of contacts in the game, so I will basically put the agents on to him.

“He is someone that I trust and someone I am looking forward to bringing some good players to the club.

“Paul is from Bradford, so within an hour-and-a-half radius, there is a hell of a lot of clubs and a hell of a lot of players.

“He can cover up there and Ben Chorley (chief scout) can do down here. They can liaise with each other and we can come to a conclusion about what we want to get in.”

Wellens and Jewell’s previous working relationship was a brief one, with the latter opting to leave his position at Oldham after only six weeks at the club.

Town boss Wellens feels the role Jewell will now hold at the Energy Check County Ground will suit him much better and hopes that can bear fruit with quality player acquisitions.

“I didn’t really work with him for that long,” said Wellens.

“He came in at Oldham as assistant manager, but under the circumstances – lack of facilities, lack of organisation and lack of everything, really – he got frustrated and it didn’t really work out as I wanted it to.

“I understood where he was coming from and I ended up going the rest of the season without an assistant manager.

“He has come here in a different role this time and one that he should enjoy.”

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:10:43 »

Like the sound of that.  Sounds reasonable.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:19:31 »

Is the Ben Chorley our Chief Scout, the same Ben Chorley who was a centre half knocking about in our leagues? If so, if we get short and all that?

BTW what happened to the Irish guy, not Brady (although what happened to him as well), the guy who came over from Waterford with some grand title in the Power regime?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #65 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:20:21 »

Like the sound of that.  Sounds reasonable.
Absolutely.

He keeps going back to quotes like these...

“I didn’t really work with him for that long,” said Wellens.

“He came in at Oldham as assistant manager, but under the circumstances – lack of facilities, lack of organisation and lack of everything, really – he got frustrated and it didn’t really work out as I wanted it to.

“I understood where he was coming from and I ended up going the rest of the season without an assistant manager.

“He has come here in a different role this time and one that he should enjoy.”

Suggesting that there were many many problems at Oldham off the pitch (and with the pitch too!), something he seems far more happy about with Swindon.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:24:08 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Peter Venkman

« Reply #66 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:22:26 »

Is the Ben Chorley our Chief Scout, the same Ben Chorley who was a centre half knocking about in our leagues? If so, if we get short and all that?
It is indeed the very same massive centre back.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:22:53 »

BTW what happened to the Irish guy, not Brady (although what happened to him as well), the guy who came over from Waterford with some grand title in the Power regime?
Pat Fenlon? He's general manager at Linfield now.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #68 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:24:45 »

Pat Fenlon? He's general manager at Linfield now.
Thats him, he arrived and disappeared within a few months it seems.

Panda Paws

« Reply #69 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:42:43 »

He was never on the staff here - was on Power's payroll as a general football advisor I believe, looking at other clubs and opportunities.
Flashheart

« Reply #70 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 11:49:38 »

Some were adamant he was going to be appointed manager here, some were even kicking off about it.

We appointed Brown instead. Maybe we should have tried Fenlon after all? (he says, with hindsight)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 12:07:31 »

Some were adamant he was going to be appointed manager here, some were even kicking off about it.

We appointed Brown instead. Maybe we should have tried Fenlon after all? (he says, with hindsight)

Rob T was a Fenlon man.... even when it was pointed out he'd reached 50 odd, and never played or managed a game in England, which probably wasn't the job spec required for Div 4.

Brown was a credible pick in the circumstances... ok it didn't work out, but managerial success isn't easy to find, by definition more will fail than succeed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 12:32:15 »

Garry O'Connor would not agree... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25754630
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 18:11:20 »

Garry O'Connor would not agree... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25754630

Judging by the below quote...

He blames the Irishman, for the in May 2012.

...the BBC and an anti-Fenlon agenda.  Smiley

Fenlon’s Linkedin suggests that he was only consulting Power for six months.

I was one of the ‘Fenlon to Swindon’ assumers, it made sense. Jewell is a part of the Power universe so it was plausible.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, December 14, 2018, 19:25:17 »

Rob T was a Fenlon man.... even when it was pointed out he'd reached 50 odd, and never played or managed a game in England, which probably wasn't the job spec required for Div 4.

Brown was a credible pick in the circumstances... ok it didn't work out, but managerial success isn't easy to find, by definition more will fail than succeed.

Yep, but then I didn't fancy Brown.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: