Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Window pane replacement  (Read 4257 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 08:53:29 »

Discovered over the weekend that one of our upstairs windows have a gurt big crack on the inside of the double glazing.

Any one have any ideas what the cost will be to replace the pane? The frame is 103 x 103 cm. Just trying to gauge if it will be cheaper to do it myself rather than insurance as my excess is £250
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 09:25:45 »

Discovered over the weekend that one of our upstairs windows have a gurt big crack on the inside of the double glazing.

Any one have any ideas what the cost will be to replace the pane? The frame is 103 x 103 cm. Just trying to gauge if it will be cheaper to do it myself rather than insurance as my excess is £250

Normally the sealed units come out fairly easily as they are just clipped into the frames, from recollection (although I haven't bought one for a whole) sealed units are a lot cheaper than you expect and I would expect to be cheaper than the £250 plus effect it might have on premium going forward.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 09:28:08 »

Normally the sealed units come out fairly easily as they are just clipped into the frames, from recollection (although I haven't bought one for a whole) sealed units are a lot cheaper than you expect and I would expect to be cheaper than the £250 plus effect it might have on premium going forward.
Thanks horlock, just been speaking to my brother-in-law whos a builder and he said it shouldnt cost too much and he's happy to help me remove and replace rather than pay someone.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 09:33:05 »

Thanks horlock, just been speaking to my brother-in-law whos a builder and he said it shouldnt cost too much and he's happy to help me remove and replace rather than pay someone.

My FiL is a builder and thus I would be doing the same!  Cheesy

How old is the window, normally the glass is removed from the inside after removing the clipped in beading although when uPVC first rolled up they were accessed from the outside until someone noticed that to break in you could just pop the beading off from the outside, remove the glass and you were in!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 10:05:07 »

We have condensation inbetween one of window panes. Right nuisance.

Suggestions how to get rid? Can't be paying out to get it replaced.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 10:08:19 »

We have condensation inbetween one of window panes. Right nuisance.

Suggestions how to get rid? Can't be paying out to get it replaced.

Not sure that there is a way, condensation only gets in when the seal is fucked and thus the vacuum compromised, think its a new unit job, although one of ours has been like it for years but as its the spare room we have never bothered changing it,.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 10:11:38 »

Thats our quandry. Its a kitchen/playroom window, and in a few years we are looking at doing some work so would be replaced anyway.

Yes it's not nice to look at, but it's at the back of the house anyway.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 10:15:48 »

Thats our quandry. Its a kitchen/playroom window, and in a few years we are looking at doing some work so would be replaced anyway.

Yes it's not nice to look at, but it's at the back of the house anyway.

We're in the same position.  A few panes are shot, but also at the back of the house so biding our time until we replace them all anyway.

We did replace a number of individual panes a few years ago.  Reiterating advice made by others, once the condensation is in there, it's in there.  You won't be able to get it out.  It's replacement, rather than repair, I'm afraid.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 10:16:36 »

also same issue, so thanks for the info!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 12:54:54 »

Have a look at glasstops UK, guessed a price not knowing full specs, between £80 and £90
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 08:10:42 »

Just had a quote from these guys.. for a 75cm x 81.5cm £33 + vat to supply only.

http://www.completeglazingservices.co.uk/

I'll take that. Thought it was going to cost me an arm and a leg.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:18:40 »

Just had a quote from these guys.. for a 75cm x 81.5cm £33 + vat to supply only.

http://www.completeglazingservices.co.uk/

I'll take that. Thought it was going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Hopefully it's not too much of a pane to install it
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:42:07 »

Hopefully it's not too much of a pane to install it
I need to decide who's going to install it for me. There are a few names in the frame....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: