Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pub quizzes  (Read 7312 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 18:50:34 »

Reminds me of another lost pub The Bell... the owner Claude a Frenchman wanted to do some alterations so got punters armed with sledge hammers etc to work after closing. It was probably a listed building and so needed planning but they don't seem to worry too much about such things in France.
Christ Reg I'd forgotten aboput Claude!!  Used to do contract work on his fire safety systems for him, only twice a year.  Used to let myself in - it was never locked during the day - and make my way up to the kitchen where inevitably you would find Claude, ciggie in hand, dog wandering around whilst he was preparing the food!  One day I couldn't find him but a young lad came through and I asked him to tell Claude that the man from the income tax people was there to see him.  Five minutes later Claude came rushing in, grey as a sheet, saw me and called me every name under the sun.  We had a great laugh about it!!  Subsequently I used to get to the bottom of the stairs and shout that the drain inspectors were on the premises, used to get a reply like "Fuck off then!"  
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 18:52:22 by ronnie21 » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 19:48:24 »

Christ Reg I'd forgotten aboput Claude!!  Used to do contract work on his fire safety systems for him, only twice a year.  Used to let myself in - it was never locked during the day - and make my way up to the kitchen where inevitably you would find Claude, ciggie in hand, dog wandering around whilst he was preparing the food!  One day I couldn't find him but a young lad came through and I asked him to tell Claude that the man from the income tax people was there to see him.  Five minutes later Claude came rushing in, grey as a sheet, saw me and called me every name under the sun.  We had a great laugh about it!!  Subsequently I used to get to the bottom of the stairs and shout that the drain inspectors were on the premises, used to get a reply like "Fuck off then!"  
I worked in the butchers opposite The Bell (Keith Berry Butchers) as it was back in the day from ‘78-‘88 I can tell you some fcuking belting stories about Monsieur Ausette......

You knew there was trouble coming when you saw him coming across the road with a tray of beer! Any time of the working day TBF.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 19:56:54 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 22:50:30 »

I used to live near the Iron Horse Pub in Wroughton and they had a weekly pub quiz on a Sunday night.  It's only a small local pub buried in the middle of a housing estate, but I used to enjoy it.

Haven't been for a while though so might want to check if it still happens if you are interested.
Any pub with a flat roof is iffy. Iron  Horse, Shield and Dagger, Goldfinger . . .
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 00:46:31 »

Any pub with a flat roof is iffy. Iron  Horse, Shield and Dagger, Goldfinger . . .

The Spotted Cow... when I used to drink there in the mid 60's, it seemed to consist of a bunch of flat roofed, prefab huts, which I believed replaced an older building.  When it finally got an upgrade, that seemed to consist of copying the prefab architecture, with a slight pitch to the roof.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 27, 2018, 09:16:38 »

Used to love the one at the old O'Neill's, where Sir Dans and that is now.

They'd come out with buckets of chips for the punters, was great. Our team name was often "we're only here for the chips"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: