Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pub quizzes  (Read 7315 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 21:51:46 »

A bunch from work want to have a crack at a pub quiz, ideally Sunday night as we work lates through to week, anybody got any suggestions? ta!

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 22:48:49 »

First question.... What are you asking?  Smiley
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 07:52:31 »

Go to a pub, that offers pub quizzes, on a sunday would be my suggestion.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 08:57:35 »

http://www.swindonweb.com/event/?search=cat&cat=845&t=Quiz+%2F+Poker+Nights
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:11:36 »

Thanks for the help Reg!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:34:29 »

Thanks for the help Reg!

A good pub quiz is hard to find. I stopped about 2015, when The Steam Monday went tits up. Howard also used to run it at the Sun Lydiard on a Sunday.... but don't know if he still runs it pub or quiz.

I've encountered folk from the Tawny Owl, who seem to be of a reasonable standard. They might have something, but it would take wild horses to get me out there... despite knowing a tidy bird who lives round the corner, but she's a bit strange.

The young lads from my Steam team, took to doing the Clifton on a Wednesday and reckoned it was Ok. I've even heard of something in Long's bar on Monday, being spoken of as OK, but that would have been last reported about a year ago.

The Hive monthly Sunday is not taken too seriously... the Glue Pot had one in the week until quite recently, but haven't heard anything o that since the autumn.

The Running Horse was doing something back last summer, mid week and apparently popular.... it's changed its name, Bertie Denyer would not be happy.

The problem is pubs give it a go, it runs for a while then they give up.... to get a decent one like the Steam, does take a bit of work, and very easy to lose it as what happened there when Howard sold up.

No idea about the Crown on a Sunday.... but the landlord Frank Plyer was an STFC director in the early 60's, when we got promoted to Div 2.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:41:41 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:50:35 »

The Village Idiot (Village Inn), Shaw village centre,  on Thursdays, starts 9pm. I keep threatening to go.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:54:47 »

I used to live near the Iron Horse Pub in Wroughton and they had a weekly pub quiz on a Sunday night.  It's only a small local pub buried in the middle of a housing estate, but I used to enjoy it.

Haven't been for a while though so might want to check if it still happens if you are interested.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 10:29:12 »

I used to live near the Iron Horse Pub in Wroughton and they had a weekly pub quiz on a Sunday night.  It's only a small local pub buried in the middle of a housing estate, but I used to enjoy it.

Haven't been for a while though so might want to check if it still happens if you are interested.

The Iron Horse is an oddity.  Why build a new pub on a small estate when there are plenty of traditional pubs within 5 minutes?  I guess the thinking was those favouring living in a new build, wouldn't want something serving ale with a log fire and darts etc, and the locals in the traditional pubs would regard the newcomers with suspicion.

The sort of factors explored in the 60's BBC soap The Newcomers.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:04:44 »

Blunsdon arms has one on sundays which has a fair turnout

Things get better but they never get good
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:44:29 »

The Wheatsheaf in Upper Stratton used to be packed for quiz night on a Friday I think it was.

The quality might not have been great, but a good laugh.
For example.

Q. Where does the Giro tour take place.
A. Penhill

A sadly missed local pub.

Was there for a midweek lock in once.
For no apparent reason the landlord got some tins of paint out and started to decorate.
Two massive Rottweilers then appeared and started wandering around as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:53:06 »

The Wheatsheaf in Upper Stratton used to be packed for quiz night on a Friday I think it was.

The quality might not have been great, but a good laugh.
For example.

Q. Where does the Giro tour take place.
A. Penhill

A sadly missed local pub.

Was there for a midweek lock in once.
For no apparent reason the landlord got some tins of paint out and started to decorate.
Two massive Rottweilers then appeared and started wandering around as well.

Reminds me of another lost pub The Bell... the owner Claude a Frenchman wanted to do some alterations so got punters armed with sledge hammers etc to work after closing. It was probably a listed building and so needed planning but they don't seem to worry too much about such things in France.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:18:13 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:58:35 »

Reminds me of another lost pub The Bell... the owner Claude a Frenchman wanted to do some alterations so got punters armed with sledge hammers etc to work after closing. It was probabaly a listed building and so needed planning but they don't seem to worry too much about such things in France.

Have a look here and you can find out for yourself. https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:01:31 »

Gluepot one still going, Wednesdays though and 9pm start !
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 18:12:40 »

The Sledge looks to be starting up it’s Thursday night quiz slot according to the pop up advertising sign in the sports/punch up bar last night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: