Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Digital TV Packages  (Read 8015 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 09:51:55 »

We are presently signed up with BT for their TV package, we have to connect via Powerline Adapters as the router is in another room and the adapters packed up once and BT replaced, they have now packed up again and BT want £50 to replace.

On thinking about this I am not sure we really need the BT system as we have a Fire Stick which the missus uses all the time for Netflix, Amazon etc, plus the TV has Freeview already installed, we would lose BT Sport but I don't use it that much and if necessary In laws round the corner have it.

What we could do with is a box that will a) allow recording and b) if possible pausing of TV. Do such things exist that do not require internet connection if possible?

Speaking to BT and trying to negotiate a new deal is like speaking to a brick wall!

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 10:32:26 »

You can get poweradapters for 20 quid a pair
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 10:34:32 »

Currys have them for £24.99
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 10:56:47 »

Apologies should have said we need the ones with a combined socket in them as our 1970's house only has about 5 sockets in the entire house (until its rewired next year!). Found refurb ones on Amazon of £22 but now thinking whether just to buy a hard drive recorder and sack BT off entirely!
normy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 10:58:15 »

I also found the BT adaptors very unreliable, which I had to scrap, and I bought ADDON adapters which are working extremely well.

ust be the oldest
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 12:19:41 »

Apologies should have said we need the ones with a combined socket in them as our 1970's house only has about 5 sockets in the entire house (until its rewired next year!). Found refurb ones on Amazon of £22 but now thinking whether just to buy a hard drive recorder and sack BT off entirely!
Serious suggestion but you can do away with the need for power adapters if you ask the sparky to run some cat5 cable?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 12:33:34 »

Serious suggestion but you can do away with the need for power adapters if you ask the sparky to run some cat5 cable?

We have already been through this with the sparky and he is lined up as part of the rewire to run a cat 5 under the floor while it is up, I am hoping he will also rationalise the location of the phone socket as its in the entrance hall which has no plus sockets meaning we already have a ball ache with an extension lead to run the router.

The issue is more do I bite the bullet with BT spend 20 odd quid on new powerlines for now or just sack it off entirely, not helped by the fact that I will also need an entirely new line into the house shortly for the office in the garden we are finishing. I fucking hate technology!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 12:33:37 »

If you're getting a re-wire, then Cat5 to every room is a must.

We cope fine with freeview and then Netflix/Amazon.

For sport, I just find a stream somewhere.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 17:21:29 »

So back to the original question, any suggestions of a cheap and reliable Freeview Box with which we can pause TV and includes a hard drive recorder?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 20:19:49 »

No suggestions, Humax was on the list when I last looked but a) that was for freesat b) the model range has changed.

May be looking again next month if Sky fail to deliver the discount (heard its getting harder).
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 09:27:24 »

All these suggestions for cat5, if you're rewiring, use cat6 ffs.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 10:31:50 »

So back to the original question, any suggestions of a cheap and reliable Freeview Box with which we can pause TV and includes a hard drive recorder?
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1405950/best-freeview-box-2017-the-best-set-top-boxes-for-viewing-and-recording

Might help
Barry Scott

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 10:54:59 »

All these suggestions for cat5, if you're rewiring, use cat6 ffs.

It’s exactly what I’ve done. Although part of me couldn’t shake the feeling that cat5 or cat5e would’ve been sufficient and cost a shit load less. (We used nearly 200m some how...)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:07:50 »

No suggestions, Humax was on the list when I last looked but a) that was for freesat b) the model range has changed.

May be looking again next month if Sky fail to deliver the discount (heard its getting harder).
We had a Humax on Freesat for a couple of years, brilliant boxes if thats what you are after, we had a Bush for 6 months and it kept locking up and was slow to respond but only cost £120 and the Humax was £250 but well worth double the price.

No idea if Humax make Freeview though.

I rewired our house with Cat6 (albeit only about 35m of cabling) but the cost over the price of Cat5 was only about £15 difference in total.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:18:33 »

Helpdesk has numbed my ability to think IT. Go Cat6, obviously
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: