Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3096 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 11:47:07 »

I will try and be brief...

Mrs had a hire car last week as hers was in for repair (someone drove into her and their insurance sorted) upon return garage noticed a dent in the bottom of hire car door, Mrs not aware of anything and checked when she got it etc.

So, this it seems will cost us to get it fixed, if we go through the insurance that was issued with the hire car excess is £250, but I wondered if she went though her insurance and tell them she was driving it on her insurance the excess is £100, either way it will go as a claim against her so I wondered if we would get away with going through her insurance to pay it.
We have been told the damage is around £350.

Thoughts anyone ?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 11:53:59 »

Torch it and deny all knowledge.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 11:55:40 »

Was the damage identified at the return of the vehicle? if not, challenge it.  They would struggle to provide proof of who caused the damage, especially if the car has been hired since.

If it was picked up on return then it will depend on the impact of claiming - I think claiming on their insurance would mean your better half will probably keep any no claims.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 12:33:37 »

Insurance claims often sting you twice - firstly through the lost no claims and secondly through the base premiums that no claims discount applies to being higher for a number of years.

As has been said, going through their insurance might mean her NCD is unaffected, but you'd still have to declare it as a claim when it comes time to renew her insurance, which could cause her premiums to rise for the next few years (how much and how long depends on the insurer).

Given the cost of damage is not horrendously higher than the excess the cheapest thing overall might be to pay for the damage outright and not go through insurance at all, as galling as that is.
If you decide to do that make sure you get a written quote from the bodyshop doing the work for them and if at all possible seek a couple of alternative quotes too to ensure you're not being ripped off.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 13:00:50 »

I know its easy to say in hind sight but always inspect the car with the garage on collection and note down any issues no matter how small.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 13:13:49 »

Yea we get the insurance bit  - have to hope it does not go up much - but we have not got the ready cash to just pay this, annoyed enough at what or how the dent got there.

Just wondered if there was any reason anyone knew we couldn't conveniently forget the hire car ins and claim on her ins at the £100 excess instead of £250.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 13:14:44 »

I know its easy to say in hind sight but always inspect the car with the garage on collection and note down any issues no matter how small.

She did and noted scratches claims she saw no dent - the dent is odd though where it is but we have no proof either way sadly
scillyred

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 13:31:10 »

If you hire regularly, you can get a car hire excess insurance. Due to my location, I am always using hire cars on the mainland. The insurance is only about £35 and covers you up to the excess limit which is £1000, if I remember correctly. You can also do it for Europe, which tends to shut the high power insurance salesmen at the airports up  Wink 
Thankfully, I have only had one minor claim and they paid up very speedily.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 15:13:29 »

Just wondered if there was any reason anyone knew we couldn't conveniently forget the hire car ins and claim on her ins at the £100 excess instead of £250.

You might have an issue if her policy has a clause in it that says it won't fully cover claims that are also covered by a separate insurer.
Give them a call to start the claims process, they'll quickly tell you if that's the case once they realise it's a hire car.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 15:37:22 »

I've just got a quote elsewhere and it is £100 cheaper - may end up putting in on a card now as it is closer to either excess
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 16:26:59 »

Did the hire company point out the damage when they did the walk-around when your wife returned the car, or at a later point?

If it were me, I'd be doing all I can to dispute I caused the damage.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:42:59 »

Did the hire company point out the damage when they did the walk-around when your wife returned the car, or at a later point?

If it were me, I'd be doing all I can to dispute I caused the damage.

It was pointed out when the car was returned, problem is they went round it before she took it and noted scratches, while I'm p'd at having to pay for it I dont think we have got a choice sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: