Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shed  (Read 5024 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 10:47:09 »

Hi all, can anyone recommend a local place to get a decent shed.

Preferably tanalised, tongue and grooved, cheap.

If nothing local then online recommendations?

Thx.
paul backskin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:08:41 »

Shrivenham Fencing or Bulldog Sheds
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:21:48 »

We got ours from here and they were excellent.

https://www.skinners-sheds.com/
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:26:42 »

They look decent and solid guys, thanks. I'm looking at spending a bit less, as I am tight  Smiley

Seen some for around £350, min of 7x5 max of 8x6
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:28:18 by 4D » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 18:22:20 »

Tiger Sheds.

Ordered from them twice now. Delivery can take a while, but good quality for the price.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 20:13:31 »

Yep Tiger Sheds online are pretty good but quite a wait for it to be made. Got the Man Cave from them.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 07:59:47 »

Worth remembering this.

The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the lowest price is forgotten. Benjamin Franklin.

So you pays your money and takes your chance. However much you decide to spend, There are some critical points to bare in mind that will ensure your shed lasts longer.

Firstly if you are surrounded by trees, this keeps moisture locked in and around your shed. This aids mould and mildew spores to grow on the timber and keep any moisture in the substrate longer. Tanalised timber loses its effect after a while through evapourisation and natural degradation. Also worth noting that the timber trade recoginises that under current regs the tanilisation process is not as robust as it once was due to having to reformulate out the nasty shit that did the real work. Sure there are certain timber structures that have to have this and carry extensive warranties but that shit is bloody expensive and won't be used on your shed.

Secondly, guttering and discharge of the water from the roof. If you have water butts to save this in that is a bonus. If not the down pipes must drain away from the structure and minimise splash back at ground level as again this will accelerate the degradation of your timer.

Thirdly don't put it up against a fence for a similar reason as having trees around it. Ideally you should be able to walk around it to give it an airflow to dry and paint with a suitable coating.

Lastly, a suitable coating. A preserver is a regular maintenance regime as there are varying qualities on the market and it does not matter so much as to wether it is water based or solvented. The active ingredients do the work not the liquid perse. Avoid using stuff like Cuprinol less mess and Ducks back or Ronseal one coat Fencelife, Timbercare or Fencelife plus. Sadolin is a really good product, however if you're going to use it use one coat Classic and two coats extra or three coats of classic. Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain is my coating of choice. You can dilute it by 20% with water for a first coat primer on bare wood and then two coats of full fat. If the conditions are right this can be done in a day if you start early enough, with Sadolin as it's a solvented product you need to do this over a few days to allow coats to dry properly. If you're really flush and you've spent a shed load (see what I did there?) Sikkens would be a good shout.

My current shed was inherited from the previous owners and is now circa 19 years young. There are a few panels on one side that may need replacing due to a bit of rot. This was caused by the shed being tucked into the corner of our garden and no guttering. Until I rectified this about 15 years ago.

Sorry to drone on but I hope the above is useful. A man cave needs careful consideration.

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 08:38:13 »

Thank you all, and good write up Legend, you're a er Legend  Smiley
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 08:39:53 »

Arthur Jackson knows a thing or two about sheds.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 09:48:12 »

Arthur Jackson knows a thing or two about sheds.
For all the publicity Arthur Jackson gets, he only ever had one shed.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 09:58:21 »

This is a classic 4D Q&A thread. Can this be pinned in some way as an example of how to do it? Smiley
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:02:20 »

Who's Arthur Jackson?  Huh?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:05:19 »

Some people are showing their age

These may be more appropriate

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:14:26 by Audrey's Bellend » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:25:27 »

I'm older than FH  Grin
I remember that MP sketch now
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 12:17:10 »

Legends, I want to paint my shed so it looks pretty. What kind of paint would you recommend? Should I be coating it first?

Good tip about the guttering, I will do that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: