Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Council Tax Banding Appeal  (Read 6070 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 16:17:36 »

Anyone got any experience in this?

Through conversation a peer suggested that i am paying too much council tax. So i put in a request to have my banding reevaluated. I received a letter today saying i do not meet the valid criteria to have my band reevaluated. Apparently you have to request this within 6 months of paying tax on the property. I've lived there for more than 6 months.

Its not something I've ever questioned, i just paid it. I'm going to appeal because near identical houses on my street are 2 bands lower and i'm on the same band as houses valued £150k more than mine.

Just wondering if anyone has been through the process?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 17:03:09 »

Isn't it based on the house value and it was purchased at? So people down the road maybe paying less as they bought the house many years ago.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 17:26:39 »

Through conversation a peer suggested that i am paying too much council tax. So i put in a request to have my banding reevaluated. I received a letter today saying i do not meet the valid criteria to have my band reevaluated. Apparently you have to request this within 6 months of paying tax on the property. I've lived there for more than 6 months.

Its not something I've ever questioned, i just paid it. I'm going to appeal because near identical houses on my street are 2 bands lower and i'm on the same band as houses valued £150k more than mine.

I deal with council tax in work. Any banding queries need to be directed to the Valuation Office. You can query your banding at anytime & it can go up or down (or more than likely stay the same) based on the outcome of the inspection conducted. Band reductions can be backdated aswell so definitely worth a query especially in your case if identical properties are 2 bands lower than your own. I've seen cases where thousands of pounds worth of credit have been created as a result of banding errors. Mistakes are rare but they do happen so definitely worth enquiring about. Bear in mind I live & work in Wales so my advice is based on legislation here. Not sure if this differs to England at all.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 17:34:19 »

Isn't it based on the house value and it was purchased at? So people down the road maybe paying less as they bought the house many years ago.

It's based on the value on what the value on 1st April 1991 would have been. Obviously this is difficult for ones built after this date, but I believe they would compare to similar properties for an estimate.
Panda Paws

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 17:35:05 »

It's based on RV (rateable value) set in April 1991, or at least used to be I think. Same value your water rates are based on if you're on a fixed (rather than metered or AHC tariff).
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 17:59:21 »

Banding can be different depending on extensions and also if the occupants have a disabled resident which allows for a band discount. Obviously be careful that a request for a reassessment doesn't lead to a band increase for your neighbours and they find out who it was.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
scillyred

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 20:11:57 »

PM me if you have any problems - I used to work for the Valuation Office Agency in a previous (and much, much less enjoyable) incarnation
 Roll Eyes

Best action initially is to write to them and tell them why you think it is wrong & await their comments. Not possible to appeal after the specific time periods.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 22:59:27 »

There is a form to fill in but certain criteria need to be met.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 23:45:25 »

Thanks for the replies. I may be pm-ing a couple of you in the morning.

Yes, the tax band is based on what the property was worth in 1991. My house was built in 2007.

I have already filled out the firm and it's been rejected. I think I have good grounds to appeal so may call on some advice in the morning.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 13:58:17 »

I put an appeal in and after much deliberation it turns out when my banding was reviews it was based on the plans of the estate and not the final built properly. My banding is based on a 4 bed 3 story house when in reality its only a 3 bed 2 story house. Its possible development plans were changed after the banding review had taken place.
Either way, its looks like i have a good chance of winning the appeal and having my banding lowered. With luck i might even get 3 years back pay.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 15:52:31 »

NOICE
scillyred

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 18:35:44 »

I put an appeal in and after much deliberation it turns out when my banding was reviews it was based on the plans of the estate and not the final built properly. My banding is based on a 4 bed 3 story house when in reality its only a 3 bed 2 story house. Its possible development plans were changed after the banding review had taken place.
Either way, its looks like i have a good chance of winning the appeal and having my banding lowered. With luck i might even get 3 years back pay.

I have PM'd you a couple of times - I hope you are getting them as they do not show up in my outbox ?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:30:12 »

I have PM'd you a couple of times - I hope you are getting them as they do not show up in my outbox ?
Scilly, I've only received 1 pm from you and that's the one from today. So I haven't been ignoring you. Sorry.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 06:40:13 »

Mine failed, will be appealing it.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 5, 2017, 13:22:59 »

UPDATE: My banding has been changed from E to D. Result. I was hoping it would go down to C but still 40/50 odd quid a month less to pay out and i will be pursuing SBC for 3 years back pay.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: