Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sorry state of affairs...  (Read 18155 times)
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 12:00:09 »

No mention of the A ground there. These places were my stomping ground as a kid particularly the BR ground. Hoddle sometimes usd the BR ground for training and Ossie sometimes used the Wills. The loss of these traditional working class places along with the working mens clubs with their indoor pursuits like crib darts and skittles has been a tragedy.

If you look at the map on that article, then the A ground was alongside the track that can be seen running off to the railway beyond Copse Avenue

There used to be a wondeful annual bowls tournament, which involved men and women troting round between the various greens at Swindon BC, County Ground BC, Wills BC, BR BC and Garrards BC.  Swindon BC and CG BC are still just about hanging on.

Is part of the A ground in this picture, or is it all Wills?

adje

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 12:17:58 »

I may be wrong but I think the major number 1 reason we are where we are on the pitch is the persistent pursuit of a playing style which is completely disastrous .

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 12:22:44 »

Wills ground...is in the foreground. So no A ground.  You can see 2 bowling greens one at Wills and one at the Extension.

Also the grass tennis courts, which were more or less where the game advertising sign is by the Magic.

As a kid used to squeeze in through, hole in the fence.... you were meant to pay.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 14:34:10 »

As much as I'm disappointed with this season and ultimately think we are down, I do believe in the model trying to be applied. Develope players and sell them on for a profit we can't afford to do anything else. This season it has just not been done well powers and co have just got it wrong not the players and not the fans. All the calls for powers to go without knowing the alternative is madness. If there was a rich owner wanting to buy us powers would be the first to sell up at a profit. The fact that this has not happened to me means only worse is out there. I for one don't want another Jed mcrory back here. If there was a better alternative then I would swap powers in a flash but there is not.

Sent from my iPhone
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 14:59:13 »

I have no faith in the model. Apart from the initial 6 months of the PO season we've been rank.

As with any business you have to invest to progress - hence the decent PO season, Power invested in players.

If you run a business where you have to invest in plant and machinery to remain competitive and if you don't you stagnate, become uncompetitive and, ultimately, you close down.

This so-called sustainability is really bollocks. It's just another way of saying I'm not investing. The club isn't being sustained, it's going backwards at a rate of knots. Rattling around in L2, or worse, still wont put off some punters, mind.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 16:01:25 »

I have no faith in the model. Apart from the initial 6 months of the PO season we've been rank.

As with any business you have to invest to progress - hence the decent PO season, Power invested in players.

If you run a business where you have to invest in plant and machinery to remain competitive and if you don't you stagnate, become uncompetitive and, ultimately, you close down.

This so-called sustainability is really bollocks. It's just another way of saying I'm not investing. The club isn't being sustained, it's going backwards at a rate of knots. Rattling around in L2, or worse, still wont put off some punters, mind.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 16:05:40 »

right,  so we've stagnated, and we are uncompetitive,  so when will he close us down and fuck off ??.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 16:08:38 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 16:21:02 »

I didn't say he will - I was on about 'ordinary' businesses.

If you would like to argue against the stagnant and uncompetitive bit, though, I'd like to hear it.
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, March 18, 2017, 19:00:33 »

As much as I'm disappointed with this season and ultimately think we are down, I do believe in the model trying to be applied. Develope players and sell them on for a profit we can't afford to do anything else. This season it has just not been done well powers and co have just got it wrong not the players and not the fans. All the calls for powers to go without knowing the alternative is madness. If there was a rich owner wanting to buy us powers would be the first to sell up at a profit. The fact that this has not happened to me means only worse is out there. I for one don't want another Jed mcrory back here. If there was a better alternative then I would swap powers in a flash but there is not.

Sent from my iPhone

Boring,just like the football this season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: