Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sorry state of affairs...  (Read 18154 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 10:40:40 »

Barry was good last season. Poor this season... He's far from the biggest of our issues at full-back.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:08:57 »

Barry was good last season. Poor this season... He's far from the biggest of our issues at full-back.

The likes of BOO, Barry and Brophy last season started off as 3/10 players. They managed to get up to 5/10, namely just about acceptable lower Div 3 standard. Obviously the hope was that they progress to a 7 like a Gladwin and then be sold on. hasn't happened they've regressed to a 2, or being generous a 3.

Yaser Kasim has been even stranger... started off at a 2.....rapidly got up to an 8/9, now a 1.

You would need to be in close daily contact with these players to know why they've regressed.... in other words you'd need to be Luke and Embers. Is it just coincidence  Hmmm
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:48:46 »

The likes of BOO, Barry and Brophy last season started off as 3/10 players. They managed to get up to 5/10, namely just about acceptable lower Div 3 standard. Obviously the hope was that they progress to a 7 like a Gladwin and then be sold on. hasn't happened they've regressed to a 2, or being generous a 3.

Yaser Kasim has been even stranger... started off at a 2.....rapidly got up to an 8/9, now a 1.

You would need to be in close daily contact with these players to know why they've regressed.... in other words you'd need to be Luke and Embers. Is it just coincidence  Hmmm

I'm going to stick my neck out and say there is a problem with training. As you say many of the players we have seem to have gone backwards. I do wonder what the hell they actually do in training, apart from organise Fifa tournaments on their playboxes.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:53:05 »

so come on then smart arse what level did you play at and which star players did you recommend as ones for the future.
tbf he didn't claim to be able to spot good players, his special talent is, apparently, being able to spot shit ones. Although this season, that's generally been a case of pointing at the ones in the red shirts.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:55:35 »

so come on then smart arse what level did you play at and which star players did you recommend as ones for the future.

Devizes sunday league division 7
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:57:48 »

tbf he didn't claim to be able to spot good players, his special talent is, apparently, being able to spot shit ones.

Which would surely mean he could select the good players by process of elimination.

Sign him up I say. He played at a decent level, dont ya know?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 12:24:38 »

I'm going to stick my neck out and say there is a problem with training. As you say many of the players we have seem to have gone backwards. I do wonder what the hell they actually do in training, apart from organise Fifa tournaments on their playboxes.

Certainly a noticeable decline has set in since we left Wanborough.

The new training facility seems a chimera...always seemed too good to be true. Having said that Hoddle and Ardiles, managed OK with the most basic of facilities, dog shit covered grass on the CG extension, and astro throwing area on the athletics for some keepy up volleyball.

Down the years I've always liked to watch training.... you do get a decent feel for how things are shaping up. Sadly latter day Wanborough became too difficult because of increased security, you could no longer pedal up and just walk in through the woods. These days I'm not even certain where they train.

Halcyon days were at the A ground... take in training and get loco numbers from the footbridge, that's multi tasking man style  Smiley
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 12:35:20 »

We appear to be making the rash assumption that they train. Fitness and basic organisation appears to suggest otherwise.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 12:37:28 »

Which would surely mean he could select the good players by process of elimination.
tbh, I think that might actually sum up our recruitment process over the past couple of years - "sign up loads, we'll bin the shit ones, then play what's left". Just no-one remembered to ask "But what if they're all shit?"
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 12:45:22 »

When someone raised the subject of training at the Trust AGM last night, John Trollope said that he thought it odd that current day players seem to pick up far more injuries (pulls and strains) than in his day.  He reminisced about the training in the 1960s at the Wills Avenue sports ground where the changing rooms were a hut with two tin baths in it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 13:19:15 »

Errrrrrrrrrr, no.

You've missed the 50 shades of brown between.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 15:12:59 »

When someone raised the subject of training at the Trust AGM last night, John Trollope said that he thought it odd that current day players seem to pick up far more injuries (pulls and strains) than in his day. 
Trollope went over 300 consecutive [league?] games before crying off (pretty acceptably) with a broken arm and then returning for 400 more games.  A genuine legend.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 15:25:38 »

Spot on and one of the more disappointing aspects of these modest prospects showing a small degree of progression is that they did indeed fall back lower than ever.  They appear to personify the more recent failures in coaching and motivation.  You have to wonder why Williams, a contender for worst manager in the football League is (allegedly) so highly rated as a coach?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 15:30:08 »

When someone raised the subject of training at the Trust AGM last night, John Trollope said that he thought it odd that current day players seem to pick up far more injuries (pulls and strains) than in his day.  He reminisced about the training in the 1960s at the Wills Avenue sports ground where the changing rooms were a hut with two tin baths in it.

The A ground. Not Wills Avenue as such, but a patch of land next to the railway line, right on the boundary of Swindon and Stratton St Margaret.  Hence the workshop by the entrance was known as The Boundary Works. Stratton in its collective forms of SM, Upper and Lower, was bigger than Swindon.

It was a bit more than that...as it had floodlights and a small stand.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 17, 2017, 16:12:29 »

Oh, right.  It was JT who referred to it as "Wills Avenue" and that rang a bell with my childhood memories.

Here's an interesting piece about the three sports grounds:
http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=8&s=116&ss=955&c=4415

The pic of the 1975/76 Vickers FC team appears to show them as having been managed by Des O'Connor and John Gorman  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: