Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Car woes (Panda...)  (Read 7426 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 22:03:42 »

it was more that starting in first with clutch down didn't engage gear...

but yeah, garage..
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 09:21:32 »

Had a similar problem with my Scenic, couldn't get a gear at all when stopped at traffic lights on Cricklade Road, turned engine off and was able to get it into 1st gear and drove straight to my garage on Kembrey Park.  Bearing in mind it was five o'clock boss man came out to look at it, pumped clutch a few times with engine off and we were able to select gears with the engine running.  Got me home ok and back to garage next morning where they took a proper look, turned out to be a  hydraulic pipe to the clutch not working.  Had to wait on a back order from Renault (Fish Bros.) to get the required part but it turned up the next day and we were off and running.  Think it cost me about £120 in total - a lot better than a new clutch which I thought I would need.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 10:51:06 »

it was more that starting in first with clutch down didn't engage gear...

but yeah, garage..

Is a strange one in the fact you still have clutch pressure. Tried starting it with the clutch up?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 13:01:17 »

Is a strange one in the fact you still have clutch pressure. Tried starting it with the clutch up?

as in pedal up? actually I tend to press down on clutch when starting engine by default so no.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 13:33:44 »

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but following a perfect MOT (no advisories) 2 weeks ago all of a sudden my car grinds at the front driver side wheel when pulling forward. In reverse its fine. Also make a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to the right, but not when turning to the left.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 13:46:50 »

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but following a perfect MOT (no advisories) 2 weeks ago all of a sudden my car grinds at the front driver side wheel when pulling forward. In reverse its fine. Also make a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to the right, but not when turning to the left.

Sounds like a CV joint or a bearing, is there any lateral movement in the wheel when jacked up?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 13:50:51 »

classic bearing symptoms..
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 13:55:46 »

Does the steering grind when stationary? If so check your power steering fluid level
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 14:39:22 »

oh yeah if stationary disregard my post!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 9, 2017, 10:49:07 »

Jacked the car up yesterday, found the problem straight away. A sheered coil spring.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 10, 2017, 11:15:47 »

So after all that it was a straight clutch.

Take it to Optima .

Did do thanks. More expensive than Mr Clutch but worth it because I'm sure they'll do a top job, but the service was phenomenal. Rang up Weds evening, told to bring it in Thurs and should be able to do Friday and ready for Saturday.

Got phone call 3pm on Thursday saying it was done! Shame Mrs was out but got it this morning.

Must have got lucky with a quiet time.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 10, 2017, 11:21:56 »

So after all that it was a straight clutch.

Did do thanks. More expensive than Mr Clutch but worth it because I'm sure they'll do a top job, but the service was phenomenal. Rang up Weds evening, told to bring it in Thurs and should be able to do Friday and ready for Saturday.

Got phone call 3pm on Thursday saying it was done! Shame Mrs was out but got it this morning.

Must have got lucky with a quiet time.

Usually get mine booked in quite quickly, but it's always got other cars there when I go. I think they're just efficient and put in a shift. I need to get a new anti roll bar fitted when I can be bothered and the inevitable other problem which will crop up between now and then  Roll Eyes

Glad you got it sorted - it did sound like part of the clutch was buggered unfortunately. How many miles were on the Panda?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, February 10, 2017, 12:12:58 »

Mrs been riding the clutch Batch?

I don't rate fiat's that said. My punto was fucked after 75,000 miles and had been serviced regularly etc.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, February 10, 2017, 12:31:24 »

On only about 35K, she's only done about 3K in it herself so no idea how it was treated before that.

Not a FIAT fan myself Arriba, to be fair its a decent car for what it is IF it stays reliable...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 10, 2017, 13:01:45 »

Try owning an Alfa. It's been in the garage every other month 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: