Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 35422 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:48:07 »

Horse dancers dont need handouts i would have thought

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:55:36 »

You would have thought a sport like basketball, what with its appeal to kids, should be a sport that we target to improve our performance on the world stage over the next generation or 2

I like most sports to varying degrees but horse dancing isn't a sport, might as well have ballroom dancing in the Olympics

The Brexit campaign, made a great deal of the UK's soft power and sport is one area we have it in spades. I don't particularly begrudge horse dancers their dosh, as it is there and obviously is going to be pricey,  but we are still a society massively split by class and poverty, and sport can help. 

Money shouldn't be pointlessly wasted, but a decent investment into inner cities can pay dividends....my mind harks back for example to the Haringey Cricket Academy, which was set up by an old West Indian, Reg Scarlett in 84. 

His money came from getting young most black lads on YTS schemes.  I saw a feature once, and the facilities were very basic,  a shed, with some nets. A dozen of his kids went on to play county cricket, some to play for England.  One of the most successful was Mark Alleyne...who now teaches cricket at Marlborough College.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:58:51 »

I do presume Sutton was joking given that we have not 'brexitted' yet and the leave campaign has had fuck all to do with a 4 year process between Olympics.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 10:11:03 »

I did like the interview with Amy Tinkler (great Carry On name) on getting GB's first ever medal in the gymnastcs floor event, explaining that she'd just be getting back home in time for her GCSE results. Balding nearly exploded.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 14:55:57 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37105796

And this for the headline alone http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37103648
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 15:21:45 by horlock07 » Logged
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 22:36:32 »

I do presume Sutton was joking given that we have not 'brexitted' yet and the leave campaign has had fuck all to do with a 4 year process between Olympics.

I think that you're looking at this the wrong way. 

Yes of course the preparation for the Rio Olympics started maybe even before London 2012 for some people and certainly straight after for most of our athletes. 

However it is indisputable that the Brexit vote has been a major factor in inspiring our team to our best ever overseas performance.  This is in sharp contrast to our European counterparts who have, as usual, fallen away at the wayside once faced with genuine world opposition rather than an artificial EU playing field.   
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 23:22:36 »

Indisputable? Come on fella
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 06:54:05 »

You cant claim its indisputable.  Seriously have you spoken to any of the athletes?  Or are you just putting your views on to them? 

They tend to thank their coaches, their families and partners and sometimes God.  Not Nigel Farage.

Never knowingly overstated.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 07:48:14 »

I think that you're looking at this the wrong way. 

Yes of course the preparation for the Rio Olympics started maybe even before London 2012 for some people and certainly straight after for most of our athletes. 

However it is indisputable that the Brexit vote has been a major factor in inspiring our team to our best ever overseas performance.  This is in sharp contrast to our European counterparts who have, as usual, fallen away at the wayside once faced with genuine world opposition rather than an artificial EU playing field.   

This is trolling right?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 08:35:58 »

All y'all just got whooooooshed
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 10:01:13 »

Being grumpy, if you win $25k its income and probably should be taxed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37099066
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 10:06:35 »

The prize money probably should but taxing the value of the medal itself is a bit much.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 10:07:05 »

Being grumpy, if you win $25k its income and probably should be taxed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37099066

I'm not sure why a US thing is of any interest grumpy or not.  But if you want to be grumpy over tax, then the fact that the new Duke of Westminster can inherit £9 billion, and not pay any inheritance tax, might be a starting point.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 10:15:03 »

I'm not sure why a US thing is of any interest grumpy or not.  But if you want to be grumpy over tax, then the fact that the new Duke of Westminster can inherit £9 billion, and not pay any inheritance tax, might be a starting point.

Good shoehorning there... Not sure whether it warrants a pint or not?

Incidentally the £3.6bn saved (entirely legally) is over 50% of what its going to cost the government each year to match the subsidies which will be lost on Brexit. (Source Private Eye)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 11:13:05 »

Incidentally the £3.6bn saved (entirely legally) is over 50% of what its going to cost the government each year to match the subsidies which will be lost on Brexit. (Source Private Eye)

I thought we paid more in to the EU than we received back in subsidies, etc. So we'll be a net gainer and there will be no "lost" cash on Brexit...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: