Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham pub  (Read 15399 times)
medwayred

Up the Reds

Ignore
« on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 12:03:09 »

Most pubs around the ground are now closed. The beacon tavern is around 10 min walk away. Huge pub with pool table. They are more than happy for Town fans to drink there before the match.

* image.png (223.59 KB, 640x1136 - viewed 397 times.)

One Davie Bamber.......................
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 12:21:33 »

I was half tempted to go tomorrow but the train from Victoria is partially served by a bus so for that reason I am out.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 13:24:37 »

I was half tempted to go tomorrow but the train from Victoria is partially served by a bus so for that reason I am out.

Yep bus from Meopham (never even heard of it). The alternative is go from St Panc but that's a bus from Strood. Good old rail replacements!
Panda Paws

« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:02:13 »

I'm going. I haven't seen us score yet this season and don't see that changing tomorrow.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:07:18 »

Yep bus from Meopham (never even heard of it). The alternative is go from St Panc but that's a bus from Strood. Good old rail replacements!

Victoria is easier for me to get to. I did notice the St Pancras one as well. I have never heard of either Meopham or Strood!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:10:39 »

Victoria is easier for me to get to. I did notice the St Pancras one as well. I have never heard of either Meopham or Strood!

Only heard of Strood as it was buses from there a few years ago too. Meopham sounds like its made up but I'm sure Red Frog or Reg can give us a history lesson on the place. :-)

(PS. That's not a request chaps!)
« Last Edit: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:13:38 by Paolo69 » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:47:29 »

Only heard of Strood as it was buses from there a few years ago too. Meopham sounds like its made up but I'm sure Red Frog or Reg can give us a history lesson on the place. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meopham

Its got a very long main street and Michael Gambon lives there, that's about it - although it has  vastly smaller population that Burslem!  Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 14:58:10 »

On last season's match day thread v Gills, there was a history lesson on the Cinque Ports. It seems like a long time ago when the world and TEF were  happier places, Shaw Rosso was match day thread guru, we could put out a team with a full bench and nick a rare point at Priestfield.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=54978.0
« Last Edit: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:00:03 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:07:32 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meopham

Its got a very long main street and Michael Gambon lives there, that's about it - although it has  vastly smaller population that Burslem!  Cheesy

Meopham appears to claim it is a strassendorf 7 miles long....outstriping Brinkworth at 6 miles, however Brinkworth is reputedly the longest strassendorf in the country. I smell bullshit.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:27:42 »

Meopham appears to claim it is a strassendorf 7 miles long....outstriping Brinkworth at 6 miles, however Brinkworth is reputedly the longest strassendorf in the country. I smell bullshit.

Why resort to foreign Reg? There's a perfectly good English word for "Straßendorf" (with a capital S): a ribbon development.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:33:02 »

What have I done?!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:36:59 »

Well it is near Gillingham......
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:45:52 »

Why resort to foreign Reg? There's a perfectly good English word for "Straßendorf" (with a capital S): a ribbon development.

I was taught that the correct geographical term for such a thing was strassendorf....always look on the sonnenseite des lebens.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 15:50:32 »

I was taught that the correct geographical term for such a thing was strassendorf....always look on the sonnenseite des lebens.

Were you brought up in the Channel Islands then?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 5, 2016, 16:01:14 »

My apologies. Turns out you were right Reg. The term is used in human geography. Though my term wins a googlefight hands down.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: