Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28677 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 23:01:44 »

The Opponent: Gillingham

Moving on from Crawley, we now arrive in the garden of England for the Gills big cup final.  Having grew up in Kent and living in the same street as one of their driveway tarmac experts I am told that they still sing “we hate Swindon” at most of their games, home and away. Odd bunch it must be said. If you happen to arrive early today can I recommend The Royal Engineers Museum which is the most important collection of records and information about military engineering history. Outside there is a collection of tank-mounted bridges. Chatham Historic Dockyard is also well worth a visit should you wish to see a few boats.

Gillingham is a sizeable enough town with some 112’000 residents (this does not allow for the travelling folk that have slipped through the system). Some of the more notable people that can proudly call Gillingham their home include footballer Ryan Bertrand, Stupid haired Chef Gary Rhodes, Pop Idol fat cunt Rik Waller and presenter Sir David Frost. Gillingham has been the scene of two notable disasters: on 11 July 1929 a public demonstration by Gillingham Fire Brigade went wrong, resulting in 15 fatalities, and in the 1951 Gillingham bus disaster, 24 Royal Marine cadets aged 10 to 13 were tragically killed in a road accident.

Last Time Out – The Pikies 2 Yeovil 0. 16th August 2014 –  Att: 5,173. After beating the same opposition just a few days before in The League Cup it looks as if the lucky heather was well and truly still hidden somewhere in Priestfield.  Joe Martin opened the scoring with a 20-yard free-kick and Danny Kedwell made it 2-0 with a rebounded shot from his parried penalty, initially awarded after Nathan Smith's foul. Yeovil were denied a first-half goal by debutant keeper Stephen Bywater, who saved Kieffer Moore's tame spot-kick.
Starting XI – Bywater, Hessenthaler, Martin (Pritchard 87’), Hause, Legge, Egan, Hare (Fish 11’), Loft, German (Dickenson 67’), Kedwell, Morris. Hare replaced by Fish? You couldn’t make it up.

They have served us both –  Bill Armstrong, Arthur Beadsworth, Aaron Brown, Paul Crichton, Moses Ashikodi, Trevor Benjamin, Deon Burton, Jonathan Douglas, Jimmy Bain, Austin Berkley, Freddie Cox, Stuart Elliot, Jock Wilson, Pat Terry, Sammy Simms, Luke Rooney, George Purcell, Iffy Onuara, George N’dah, Jay McEveley, Jimmy Kennedy, Junior Lewis, George Travers, Curtis Weston, Paul Smith, Alan Scott, Howard Pritchard, Callum Kennedy, Ken Lambert, Bob Innes, Leigh Mills, Frank Nouble, Giuliano Grazioli, Ty Gooden, Jimmy Glass, Jack Rutherford, Alan Reeeeves, David Peach, Martin Neyland, Mark McCammon, Darius Henderson, John Gorman, Dean Marney, Jo Kuffour, William Miller

One From The Past – Gillingham 0 Swindon Town 2 – Play Off Replay, Friday May 29th 1987 – Att: 18’491 - Two goals from Steve White at Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park secured Lou Macari’s Swindon Town a place in the Second Division. 
Swindon: Digby, Hockaday, King, Coyne, Parkin, Calderwood, Bamber, Berry, Henry, White, Barnard.

The Odds –   Gillingham 2/1  Draw 12/5  Swindon 6/4 

The Son Says –  Despite the unfortunate result in Gatwick at the weekend he is sticking with a positive 2-0 victory.

The Prediction –  The bookies seem more confident than me on this one, but I will stick my neck out and go for a 1-0 win, another Smith goal in front of 5’922 (312 from Swindon).

And Finally – Gillingham was a limb of the Cinque Ports and was of great importance as the Chatham Dockyard was within its boundaries. It was started by Elizabeth I and finally closed in 1984 causing massive local unemployment and abandoned caravans all over Medway.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 00:17:58 »

Good work as always...interested to hear that Gillingham was a limb of the Cinque Ports (pronounced Sink Ports)....I've not heard much about these (Hastings, New Romney, Hythe, Dover, Sandwich) since having a book as a kid, which told me that Winston Churchill was Warden of the Cinque Ports.

Apparently they held an ancient privilege, to do something at a Coronation but this was eschewed  in 1953, because they had started to fall into disrepair, mainly due to silting up. Hopefully, there'll be no chance of the Pikeys, getting to do owt for the Coronation of Charles III.

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 00:54:57 »

Cinque Ports were, to the best of my recollection, essentially Henry VIII's follies against a French invasion and mostly attempts to build medieval-style artillery forts at a time when the more modern star-shaped fort or trace Italliene was becoming prevalent, and rapidly proving that big stone walls are a terrible thing to hide cannons behind, primarily due to their ability to be a fucking massive target for enemy gunnery.

Hurst Castle is a fine example of such a place, many of which have later additions, particularly from the 19th century (both Napoleonic and Victorian) or the world wars added. The cafe in Hurst Castle does a brilliant selection of cake, and the walls of the castle itself offer fantastic views of the needles and solent.

I may be prattling on, but discussing cake at a castle is still much more interesting than anything that has ever happened or ever will in Gillingham.

2-0 town.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 01:03:17 by Honkytonk » Logged
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 02:08:57 »

Not confident, don't remember us winning at Gills recently. 2-0 Gills with 312 away fans.
kerry red

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 04:35:17 »

We'll turn over the Knackers, no problem.

2-0, Smudga and Byrne with 348 from the Shire.

BTW, had a childish chuckle when I noticed Leicester have signed a player named Fanni.

Excellent!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 07:29:57 »

We are always shit at Priestfield, but the performances of the first 3 games have been encouraging so if we play like we have been I think we can get something. Peter Taylor seems to be following a similar policy of getting in young players and keeping the ball, if they play that way it will suit us no end. Hopefully Louis won't be missed too much!

I work with a Gills fan so a lot riding on this for me!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 08:41:41 »

Good read SR, I've enjoyed the openings to the match day threads so far.

Unfortunately I think we'll lose tamely tonight 2-0 and the first murmerings of unrest may start.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 08:48:39 »

Good start so far - unlucky against Crawley from what I have read and seen - far too early to get gloomy so at best we will get a 1-0 win but realistically I think a draw - it is only Gillingham after all..... Yes

Bathtime
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:07:29 »

1-2

I come from a land down-under
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:14:55 »

I work with a Gills fan so a lot riding on this for me!
Didn't know you worked on the blackstuff
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:42:53 »

BTW, had a childish chuckle when I noticed Leicester have signed a player named Fanni.

Excellent!

If 'Fanni' was in the same team as The Pikies 'Hare' my chuckles would be beyond childish.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:45:17 »

Good read SR, I've enjoyed the openings to the match day threads so far.

Cheers BO  Smiley
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:45:57 »

We've started well and if we continue to play as such, I will always back us to win but until we get a few away wins under our belts I will be perfectly happy with a draw.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 11:12:53 »

Cinque Ports were, to the best of my recollection, essentially Henry VIII's follies against a French invasion and mostly attempts to build medieval-style artillery forts at a time when the more modern star-shaped fort or trace Italliene was becoming prevalent, and rapidly proving that big stone walls are a terrible thing to hide cannons behind, primarily due to their ability to be a fucking massive target for enemy gunnery.

Hurst Castle is a fine example of such a place, many of which have later additions, particularly from the 19th century (both Napoleonic and Victorian) or the world wars added. The cafe in Hurst Castle does a brilliant selection of cake, and the walls of the castle itself offer fantastic views of the needles and solent.

I may be prattling on, but discussing cake at a castle is still much more interesting than anything that has ever happened or ever will in Gillingham.

2-0 town.

Think the Cinque Ports, goes back well before Henry VIII, I'd always had it down as a Plantagenet thing, when the ruling classes were still essentially French, hence the cinque for the 5 ports.

Hurst Castle is a fine spot mind....I lived in Southsea, for a few years, right opposite the Castle, which was also a Henrician Castle, part of the network designed to protect Soton and the Solent...which by then had largely usurped the Cinque Ports in strategic importance.

It's a little known fact that the upgrade of the guns and associated infrastructure at Hurst of 1609, was paid for by a levy on the good people of Wiltshire....which I suppose is fair enough if it kept the French and Spanish out.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 11:21:01 »

After yesterdays story over who will play Left side i hope he doesn't switch Byrne there. He has been one of our best performers on the right side and making him play left to play Lelan right side would be a bad idea. Was Barthram that bad at Lb? I assume Gladwin will start in Midfield with Williams up top as opposed to them blooding young Marshall.

The bench will be devoid of all real options tonight for sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: