Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Greenmeadow  (Read 12005 times)
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 13:53:36 »

the only dodgy thing i see is FlammableBen walking down Okus Road every now and again.

You got to watch out for badgers, menacing fuckers the badgers.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 14:37:01 »

Not sure how old your children are, but I know the ins and outs of the schools in the area as well.

Swindon Secondary Schools are proper going down the pan....the levels of GCSE success, have fallen behind the national average...and now bracket Swindon in with the norvern, former mill town ghettos like Bradford, Oldham, Rochdale.....in fact it reads like the Div3 league table.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 14:38:22 »

Tbf Reg, it does look like a northern town.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 14:48:49 »

Tbf Reg, it does look like a northern town.

When was the last time you went up north 4D ? 

It was often said that the old railway town, was like a norvern town planted in the south....hence the Working Men's Clubs, football and dog racing....but sadly no longer.
Talk Talk

« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 14:59:51 »

Swindon Secondary Schools are proper going down the pan....the levels of GCSE success, have fallen behind the national average...and now bracket Swindon in with the norvern, former mill town ghettos like Bradford, Oldham, Rochdale.....in fact it reads like the Div3 league table.

That's just not true Reg.

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=GR&f=YuxhhwkWZe&superview=sec&view=&sort=l_schname&ord=asc

The majority are around the national average, a few lower (the usual suspects), but several way ahead like Lydiard plus the peripherals around the town like Warneford, Ridgeway etc. who usually attract the better teachers and more education focused parents.

I don't know why you feel the need to run Swindon down all the time as though there was some glorious golden age in the past. It's fine, it's the average UK town in so many ways. I like it immensely.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 15:05:06 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=GR&f=YuxhhwkWZe&superview=sec&view=&sort=l_schname&ord=asc

The majority are around the national average, a few lower (the usual suspects), but several way ahead like Lydiard plus the peripherals around the town like Warneford, Ridgeway etc. who usually attract the better teachers and more education focused parents.

I don't know why you feel the need to run Swindon down all the time as though there was some glorious golden age in the past. It's fine, it's the average UK town in so many ways. I like it immensely.

I got all excited that Bradon was top of that list and then realised it was sorted alphabetically.

Further down though, wtf is Wizard Education? Is Hogwarts now under Swindon LEA?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 15:40:56 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14109301.GCSE_results_in_Swindon_continue_to_fall/
Talk Talk

« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 15:47:53 »

Yep, in the past. That's a year out of date.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 15:53:07 »

Citing the adver as a credible source hahahah
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 16:09:21 »

When was the last time you went up north 4D ? 

It was often said that the old railway town, was like a norvern town planted in the south....hence the Working Men's Clubs, football and dog racing....but sadly no longer.

I went to Kingston Bagpuize (sp) a few weeks ago.
It's the lanes around the back of a lot of streets that give it a northern feel.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 16:20:29 »

Yep, in the past. That's a year out of date.

Sadly, it's a fact that standards are dropping based on test scores, of course it's all about averages, and there are schools where they're doing OK, but Gove's replacement, has said 3 years of < 60% means you're a "coasting" school and should trigger some sort of intervention to raise standards.

All of this will be played out in the next few years against a recruitment and retention crisis in key subjects at secondary school and deep cuts in FE.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 7, 2015, 16:29:26 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 18:58:05 »

A lot of schools are becoming MATs, which means they can choose their own curriculum to an extent. This will have a major impact on a students education.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 19:00:41 »

Small world.  My mum and dad live in Coln Crescent and have done since 1972.  I grew up there and aside from 2 years where I lived in Abbey Meads, I stayed in Greenmeadow.  I now live in Seaton Close, which is a little bit further down off Thames Avenue.

It's a really nice family area and is well placed to get to anywhere in Swindon. We've extended our house twice rather than moving, because we like the area so much.  You've got the recreation ground just through the alley off Coln Crescent as well with a play park for the kids.

I've drunk in the Shield and Dagger since I was 16/17 (now 40).  It used to be a very rowdy pub and did have a bit of a reputation for being rough with fairly regular fights breaking out.  That was a long time ago though and it's nothing like that anymore.  We've all grown up now  Wink

My friend lives on Severn Avenue and told me earlier about the vehicle break ins.  I think the culprit has now been arrested.  Things like this are not the norm.

Any questions, please feel free to pm me or my dad.  He posts on here as Ticker45.

Highly likely I know you if you went Hreod, being the big 40 myself.  All that part of town is quite nice to be honest including both Haydon's and Woodhall.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 19:42:32 »

Yes, obviously. 99.9% the UK, for starters.
I don't know about that. I was walking home yesterday and turned onto my road and there were two blokes wrestling on the ground before leaping up and trying to have a boxing match in the middle of the road. A drunk bloke was pleading with them to break it up and hug each other so I guess the UK is pretty safe after all.
Talk Talk

« Reply #44 on: Monday, December 7, 2015, 20:45:11 »

I don't know about that. I was walking home yesterday and turned onto my road and there were two blokes wrestling on the ground before leaping up and trying to have a boxing match in the middle of the road. A drunk bloke was pleading with them to break it up and hug each other so I guess the UK is pretty safe after all.

I guess that you are back in Bamford then James?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: