Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Home connectivity problems  (Read 3133 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 20:16:50 »

TEF helpdesk, help me.

I need some help with some problems I'm having with my powerline adapters, they keep dropping out during the day and I can't reconnect them despite trying different sockets until all of a sudden they start working again. Particularly infuriating this week as I'm on call...

The problem I have is that my desktop PC is upstairs and my router is downstairs. The phone line comes in through the front of the flat downstairs, connected to the router and a wireless access point connected to the router. Router connects to a powerline adapter downstairs and then another powerline adapter is upstairs connected my PC. The powerline adapters have worked okay most of the time but due to a lack of sockets, I have to plug it in to a four way instead. I'm convinced it's the wiring of the property as it's a town house that's been split into four separate flats. I've not really used powerline adapters other than this £20 set of D-Link ones I bought almost two years ago, is it worth investing in a better set?

I can't run a cable as it's a rented property and it'd look awful (unfortunately we only have black cat5 cable at work). Wireless is an option but there are about 30 broadcasting networks within range...

Is there anything I've missed?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 20:30:40 »

I need some help with some problems I'm having with my powerline adapters, they keep dropping out during the day and I can't reconnect them despite trying different sockets until all of a sudden they start working again. Particularly infuriating this week as I'm on call...

The problem I have is that my desktop PC is upstairs and my router is downstairs. The phone line comes in through the front of the flat downstairs, connected to the router and a wireless access point connected to the router. Router connects to a powerline adapter downstairs and then another powerline adapter is upstairs connected my PC. 
You are not with BT are you, we had all manner of problems with ours but once we raised it with them they immediately replaced them all with no questions asked.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 20:35:57 »

Somehow I posted prematurely... I am indeed with BT, not replaced the Home Hub yet. The adapters weren't supplied by BT though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 22:04:50 »

IIRC you're supposed to plug powerline adapaters straight into the wall, not into a four-way. Get yourself a pass-through powerline adapter and plug the fourway into that:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1090930.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504951290|tsid:59158|cid:200290250|lid:94813101410|nw:g|crid:66128554130|rnd:8099781604872553499|dvc:c|adp:1o4|bku:1&gclid=CjwKEAjwwbyxBRCS74T049iEp0wSJACkO5v1PV-oytIqPyWhxg_oivIiKNC1AYeNSO4kEYKjxUhANhoC8knw_wcB
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 22:15:02 »

Always worked fine in fourway, although not a surge protected one. I'd rather not spend £40 on some passthrough adapters to discover it's still a problem with the internal wiring...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 10:12:00 »

It probably is to do with the wiring.

Although, I've got some passthrough adapters you can have if you want to try them out.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 10:13:42 »

Get one of these to test the socket without surge protection. They only cost a few quid.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: