Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 7333 times)
Pete

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 14:37:40 »

I can't find another thread on this due to my poor search skills, so here goes.

After taking my prescription variety of tablets my thoughts turned to the computer variety. I'm looking for a tablet because I have to move away from my desk for a few longer periods during the day, my android phone is OK but I'd like something slightly bigger. I have wifi.

Looking at a few reviews the HUDL2 looks ok, also been recommended the Nexus 7. My budget is £100-200. I only need to browse tinternet, read mails and watch films.

Any recommendations?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 14:42:53 »

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Pro-Tab which is fine for what you want - pretty much what I use it for.

Got mine from John Lewis for under £200 - can't remember the exact price.

My only gripe is the poor battery life. Lucky to get 3-4 hours before charging.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 14:58:58 »

I don't have a tablet but wanted to be the 3rd Pete to post in this thread.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 15:01:14 »

Don't let the thread peter out, then!
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 15:13:09 »

Windows tablets are becoming incredibly cheap since Microsoft made their licensing free.
I wanted a cheap one and bought a Linx 8" from Sainsburys for £90. It does all I need and the spec is right up there with Android tablets, it even comfortably copes with image editing in GIMP.
Add a keyboard for less than a tenner and it's great value.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 15:47:42 »

If that is all you want to do the Hudl2 from Tesco is excellent value, especially as it has come down in price - and if you know anybody who works in Tesco they can get 20% of for you until Sunday (should bring it down to about £85!),
Skinny Pete

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 15:54:55 »

Talk Mobile are giving away a free Galaxy Tab-Pro with a phone upgrade.

Only a £23 per month contract, too
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 16:07:31 »

If that is all you want to do the Hudl2 from Tesco is excellent value, especially as it has come down in price - and if you know anybody who works in Tesco they can get 20% of for you until Sunday (should bring it down to about £85!),

Thanks Ronnie

I was leaning towards the hudl2, but I like to ask the uncensored opinion that you can find here. hudl2 looks fantastic value, whats the catch?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 18:14:54 »

No catch mate!  I am not really very technically minded but my wife bought me one for Xmas and was so impressed with how quickly I picked all the bits and pieces up that she bought herself one - not she really is computer illiterate but can work it easily, only this afternoon she downloaded a programme on BBC i-player and watched it through ('twas Holby city though!!).
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:04:52 »

I've got an asus transformer pad. Cost me 120 quid from John Lewis, it's not as smooth as an iPad but at a 1/3 of the cost you'd expect that. I'm happy with it to just browse the web etc.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:32:47 »

We've bought a couple of hudl2's for our kids for holiday and for the money I've been very impressed with the hudls. Not as good as an iPad obviously but value for money great? Especially as we got discount thanks to club points.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 11:41:37 »

Windows tablets are becoming incredibly cheap since Microsoft made their licensing free.
I wanted a cheap one and bought a Linx 8" from Sainsburys for £90. It does all I need and the spec is right up there with Android tablets, it even comfortably copes with image editing in GIMP.
Add a keyboard for less than a tenner and it's great value.

Stupid question, if you get a windows one I assume you can download app's (is there a windows store or something like on android?)

I am realizing that I am rapidly becoming a complete bloody Luddite!
Skinny Pete

« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 11:47:25 »

Androids have their own OS, but most apps have an android version available for download.

I had an iPad before the Samsung Galaxy Pro-Tab I have now. I've got no issues with the difference.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:28:26 »

Stupid question, if you get a windows one I assume you can download app's (is there a windows store or something like on android?)

I am realizing that I am rapidly becoming a complete bloody Luddite!

Yep, there is a windows "Store". It does not have the range that Apple/Android has but has the key things.

I have a windows work mobile and a personal Android phone/tablet and can get pretty much the same apps.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:30:31 »

I got the Hudl in the end. For £99 fantastic value for money.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: