Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Play offs - first leg v Sheffield United  (Read 88743 times)
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 18:46:42 »

I've heard people say this genuinely; that Power/Coops had told the players to underperform or to not try too hard in the last important games of the season so we got more £ (presumably the players all went "yeah all right then")

Some of our fans  Doh

Let's hope it's true. Cheesy
Flashheart

« Reply #241 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 18:47:24 »

I've heard people say this genuinely; that Power/Coops had told the players to underperform or to not try too hard in the last important games of the season so we got more £ (presumably the players all went "yeah all right then")

Some of our fans  Doh

How would that even work?

*Edit. Oh wait, yeah. I see now. Never mind.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 18:53:10 »

Let's hope it's true. Cheesy

True!

I've also been told by a Taxi driver who once carried Don Rogers that the reason is we dont want to go up because Power can't afford it.

*i didn't mention that a lot of town fans have met/know Don, my Dad used to live next door to to him
**and how the hell would he know anyway
***and it's also obvious bollocks

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:04:51 »

True!

I've also been told by a Taxi driver who once carried Don Rogers that the reason is we dont want to go up because Power can't afford it.

*i didn't mention that a lot of town fans have met/know Don, my Dad used to live next door to to him

Was this Taxi driver a Leeds fan by any chance? I got a taxi a few weeks back to the game and he was saying how our chairman can't afford for us to go up... RIGHT.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Flashheart

« Reply #244 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:10:26 »

"I've also been told by a Taxi driver who once carried Don Rogers that the reason is we dont want to go up because Power can't afford it."

Now this one is nuts. Since when has it been mandatory for any owner to spend more money if they get promoted?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:14:37 »

Was this Taxi driver a Leeds fan by any chance? I got a taxi a few weeks back to the game and he was saying how our chairman can't afford for us to go up... RIGHT.

He wasn't, but I think I know the guy you mean. Think the last time he took me to the CG he spent the entire journey slagging off STFC and calling me mental / stupid for going. Horrible bloke.

Since when has it been mandatory for any owner to spend more money if they get promoted?

I suppose if redevelopments are needed there's a cost involved. But yeah, it's utter nonsense. It's the sort of thing you read in the Adver comments, it's quite astounding when you hear someone say it in real life.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:37:14 »

He wasn't, but I think I know the guy you mean. Think the last time he took me to the CG he spent the entire journey slagging off STFC and calling me mental / stupid for going. Horrible bloke.

I hope you treated him to a lovely blast of "six nil on aggregate"
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:51:08 »

True!

Ha ha, that old chestnut. I'm surprised the Honda story did not get an airing.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 19:57:10 »

I hope you treated him to a lovely blast of "six nil on aggregate"

That's the trouble with Taxis. They're expensive enough as it is and I couldn't have walked! You just sort of have to smile and nod and mutter "wanker" under your breath..

Ha ha, that old chestnut. I'm surprised the Honda story did not get an airing.

Which one's that? I'm sure I've heard it before.

Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 20:00:59 »

That's the trouble with Taxis. They're expensive enough as it is and I couldn't have walked! You just sort of have to smile and nod and mutter "wanker" under your breath..

Which one's that? I'm sure I've heard it before.

Every time the club has missed out on promotion the club is per ported to have told the players not to try because they can't afford it. Honda were going to pump money into the club but the board vetoed it ('80-'90) era.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 20:53:52 »

Anyone going up from London?

Looks like I will be able to get the time off now but with train tickets extortionate it would be good to share the petrol costs...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 21:06:10 »

Every time the club has missed out on promotion the club is per ported to have told the players not to try because they can't afford it. Honda were going to pump money into the club but the board vetoed it ('80-'90) era.

Ha, it's good to know that nothing changes.

Interesting (it's not really) my Dad told me recently the company he worked for thought about sponsoring Town once but chose some horse racing thing instead. Turns out being associated with a football club in the 80s wasn't desirable, who'd have thought it? It's those unambitious managers..

Panda Paws

« Reply #252 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 21:12:57 »

Anyone going up from London?

Looks like I will be able to get the time off now but with train tickets extortionate it would be good to share the petrol costs...

I am, but via Swindon where my car will be full. I'm doing the home leg on Monday and can help you out there if needs be.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 21:22:07 »

I just re-watched the semi finals against Brentford.

Regret it now.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 21:51:55 »

I am, but via Swindon where my car will be full. I'm doing the home leg on Monday and can help you out there if needs be.

Ah ok, think I'm sorted for Monday but cheers anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: