Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpes new ground - possibly  (Read 16543 times)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:37:33 »

It appears Scunny are looking to build a new stadium ( GP itself is only 27 yrs old  Eek )
Anyway there is a link here

http://stadiumdb.com/designs/eng/scunthorpe_united_stadium

The bit that caught my interest was the cost, £18 million for a 12k stadium but up to 50% of that would be covered ny football fund/eu etc

So basically a new stadium for £9 million, compare that to Powers estimate for a training facility of around £4/5M  Hmmm
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:46:01 »

Looks somewhat like a smaller version of Brighton's ground.  Not a bad thing as that place is the pretty much the only decent original ground design of the last 10-15 years probably
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:08:29 »

The advantage for clubs like Scunny, is that land prices are probably quite low and lots of brownfield about waiting for a use.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:21:13 »

The advantage for clubs like Scunny, is that land prices are probably quite low and lots of brownfield about waiting for a use.

They only moving 900 metres so imagine own the surrounding land, as we once did  Bad Mood
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:29:37 »

They only moving 900 metres so imagine own the surrounding land, as we once did  Bad Mood

Town have never owned any land....
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:32:53 »

So basically a new stadium for £9 million, compare that to Powers estimate for a training facility of around £4/5M  Hmmm

I think you've missed something here. Just because somebody else is footing half the bill, it doesn't mean the stadium won't still cost 18M.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:06:55 »

That is a nice looking little stadium I would love the CG to be developed similar to that if it was possible.

Although I would prefer a bigger cpacity of somewhere between 17k and 20k because if we do go up then crowds will probably go up as well.

Otherwise it does look very nice, not sure if grants are available for new grounds from the FL/FA like there were a few years ago or if it would all have to be funded by sponsorship/commercializing areas.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:08:06 »

I think you've missed something here. Just because somebody else is footing half the bill, it doesn't mean the stadium won't still cost 18M.
As a comparison York City new ground has a capacity of 8k and is going to cost £37m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-29565797

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:21:19 »

Well obv will still cost 18m but the way it reads up to 50% will come from funds etc so a 9m cost to the club.
As their current stadium was only built in 1988 it can't be a crumbling wreck surely, from the artists rendering looks like a hotel is included in the build in a stand so am guessing more than match day use only is the intention
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:48:13 »

That is a nice looking little stadium I would love the CG to be developed similar to that if it was possible.

Although I would prefer a bigger cpacity of somewhere between 17k and 20k because if we do go up then crowds will probably go up as well.

Otherwise it does look very nice, not sure if grants are available for new grounds from the FL/FA like there were a few years ago or if it would all have to be funded by sponsorship/commercializing areas.

As a purely theoretical exercise potential ground capacity is interesting....there really is no evidence from the last 20 odd years to suggest we'd need any more than 15K tops, and even that might be an over estimate.  Space would be better used in facilities rather than capacity.

Take 2 sides who historically are a bit smaller than us, but not by much, Bormuff and Roverum.....both have either a new ground or a re-development and get about 10,000 or a bit less in the Championship....I'd imagine we could get something similar if promoted.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:02:57 »

As a purely theoretical exercise potential ground capacity is interesting....there really is no evidence from the last 20 odd years to suggest we'd need any more than 15K tops, and even that might be an over estimate.  Space would be better used in facilities rather than capacity.

Take 2 sides who historically are a bit smaller than us, but not by much, Bormuff and Roverum.....both have either a new ground or a re-development and get about 10,000 or a bit less in the Championship....I'd imagine we could get something similar if promoted.

On average, yes. But what about the big games which are necessary to boost that average? It's stupid to say we'd only average 10k so we only need 10k. If we were im the Championship, plenty of sides would bring 2-3k and we'd be foolish not to accommodate for that by building a stadium that held at least as many as the CG.

Personally, I think lower tiers holding 10-12k and upper tiers holding 3-5k are the way to do it, with the upper tiers only open when necessary.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:09:50 »

I'd go with 15k, but designed in a way that it will be easy to expand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:12:24 »

On average, yes. But what about the big games which are necessary to boost that average? It's stupid to say we'd only average 10k so we only need 10k. If we were im the Championship, plenty of sides would bring 2-3k and we'd be foolish not to accommodate for that by building a stadium that held at least as many as the CG.

Personally, I think lower tiers holding 10-12k and upper tiers holding 3-5k are the way to do it, with the upper tiers only open when necessary.

As I said, a generous decision would justify a capacity of 15K, to allow for the odd big game...but the main focus should be on how to accommodate the 365 money generators, rather than mainly empty seats.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:12:41 »

As a comparison York City new ground has a capacity of 8k and is going to cost £37m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-29565797

I think the £37m quoted is for a lot more than just an 8k seat stadium. The complex includes a community hub with health facilities, a library etc., a new sports and leisure centre and a small retail park.

..never go back.
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:45:09 »

I think the rough rule of thumb for the cost of building a new stadium is around £1,000 per seat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: