Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Laptop help  (Read 8923 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 26, 2014, 12:45:52 »

Afternoon all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop, mainly for Football Manager, the Total War games (if poss, not a deal breaker), looking at the TEF and watching sport online.  Budget of up to £400 (can go a bit above if needed).  I see so many variables such as processor speed, ram size and so on, and not sure what would be best for my needs.

All help (and abuse) gratefully received.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 26, 2014, 23:07:29 »

You've got no fans.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 26, 2014, 23:11:07 »

You've got no fans.

I'll need at least one, or the thing will over heat.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 08:52:24 »

just a quick look on PC world they have this on sale 200 quid off
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-p151sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10075604-pdt.html#cat-0

1.5TB storage is a bit overkill, but FM will run a dream on it.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 13:01:20 »

I'll have a look later as I have a friend who's asked me to have a look around too.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 19:25:29 »

Had a look at that HP in PC World today, looks good and decent build quality. Spec is spot on too.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 19:54:37 »

Had a look at that HP in PC World today, looks good and decent build quality. Spec is spot on too.

Just don't let them sell you any aftercare....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 21:28:11 »

I am in a similar position I am presnetly leaving work and setting up on my own as a consultant (more on that later!) and need to buy a lap top, main thing would be to run word bit of picture manipulation email etc etc.

The above looks great but a mate who is a computer whizz - he does something I dont understand and probably earns more in a week than I do in a year!, says not to touch HP with a bargepole as they use cheap rubbish components!

Any other opinions - I need to get this sorted by the time the world opens for business on 5th January!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 22:12:07 »

Most of the cheap machines are made with the same basic level of components.

Sony used to be renowned for quality but they recently outsourced production of their machines.

Unless you want to spend a lot, it's all much of a muchness and you're best off just buying the best spec for your budget.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 22:17:58 »

The above looks great but a mate who is a computer whizz - he does something I dont understand and probably earns more in a week than I do in a year!, says not to touch HP with a bargepole as they use cheap rubbish components!

I wouldn't touch HP based on the customer support experiences I've had with them. Whilst this was mainly on the business side of things, if anything you'd expect that to be better given the higher pricing and quantities involved. Dell on the other hand have always been excellent.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 27, 2014, 23:42:26 »

I've only ever had to deal with Dell and they're awful, even as a business user with ProSupport.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 09:30:16 »

I find HP support really good. Yes it is a pain getting through, but their next business day parts service is superb. Their procurve equipment is excellent, and we have 7 year old laptops which are still going strong despite all the abuse they get from students.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 10:55:45 »

I find HP support really good. Yes it is a pain getting through, but their next business day parts service is superb. Their procurve equipment is excellent, and we have 7 year old laptops which are still going strong despite all the abuse they get from students.

I've only needed to speak to HP a couple of times but i found them a lot better than Dell
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 22:00:39 »

Well that's as clear as mud thanks all  Embarrassed The conclusion I have reached is that all have good and bad points!

Can anyone suggest anything available for sensible money on Amazon, I have some money to spend on there as the leaving present from existing employer.

I have realised that IT and computers are a foreign language to me!
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 21:11:48 »

So I picked up my laptop a few days ago, just got round to setting it all up, and it's running fine, except I get an error message when I log in.

'igfxTray Module has stopped working'

I've tried searching and updating drivers, but to no effect.  I doesn't seem to be effecting the laptop, but if anyone knows how to fix the problem, please let me know.  Cheers.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: