Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: fibre broadband questions.  (Read 5106 times)

Ignore
« on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 11:50:25 »

Howdy.
I've received a fibre broadband router from talk talk. The grey internet cable is too short to reach from my master socket to the router. The grey cable supplied has 2 wires within it to the pins(red and green) whilst my current white cable I use for my current broadband router has 4 wires(green, Brown,white yellow) I phoned talk talk to ask the difference between the two and they couldn't tell me. They just said my current cable would be ok.

My question is do I need to buy a new longer cable to do the job or will the 4 wire cable I currently have work for fibre? Also what is the difference between the two? Thanks in advance techy dudes.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 11:52:59 by arriba » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 11:55:01 »

As long as it's got the right RJ45 or RJ11 connectors on it, it doesn't matter how many pairs the cable has.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 11:59:20 »

As long as it's got the right RJ45 or RJ11 connectors on it, it doesn't matter how many pairs the cable has.

okay ta. What's the difference between the two? The router itself has only two pins so only two of the four will connect anyway. I guess this is okay?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:09:23 »

Difference between what? The connectors or the cables? RJ45 and RJ11 are just different sized connectors.

The extra pairs in the cables are there for more than one line. The router is only designed to take one line, hence only two pins being connected. The other pair in the cable won't be 'live' anyway because they're probably not even connected up within your master socket.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:11:20 by Samdy Gray » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:19:46 »

Difference between what? The connectors or the cables? RJ45 and RJ11 are just different sized connectors.

The extra pairs in the cables are there for more than one line. The router is only designed to take one line, hence only two pins being connected. The other pair in the cable won't be 'live' anyway because they're probably not even connected up within your master socket.
the difference between a four wire cable and a two wire one, the wires themself not the connectors.
I've checked what you say above and only two connect so I'll try it. My fibre doesn't go live until the 19th so won't know how good it is until then. Cheers Sam
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:34:40 »

Yeah, you only need a single pair to carry the vDSL (fibre signal). I had to do something similar with mine (extend it), so I kroned in a new cable into a vDSL faceplate - there are only 2 wires..

The only issues would be
  - 1. the quality of the old cable is crappy (i.e not properly shielded, etc) meaning sub optimal speeds/dropouts
  - 2. the old modem uses some stupid nonstandard pinout, meaning the wires are connected up wrong, meaning old cable plain won't work.

Doubt either is likely. Suck it and see.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:51:13 »

Cheers.
I put a new faceplate on my master socket recently to do away with the filters and the router is working just like the old one with speeds the same. I may buy a two wire cable for when my fibre goes live and compare it with the current four wire one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:58:15 »

No point. Two or four wires will work the same.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 13:03:10 »

Okay.
Thanks for that batch.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 13:35:26 »

If you're having fibre fitted for the first time, an engineer will come and change the faceplate over anyway.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 13:59:00 »

If you're having fibre fitted for the first time, an engineer will come and change the faceplate over anyway.
That's not my understading of it. I think they said it's self set up and the engineer just does his thing at the box in the street. Hope you're right though as they can check my set up etc then.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 14:01:07 »

That's not my understading of it. I think they said it's self set up and the engineer just does his thing at the box in the street. Hope you're right though as they can check my set up etc then.

Different company, I know...but, when I had fibre installed through BT, they said they always send an engineer out if it's the first time fibre has been installed in that property.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 14:08:55 »

No home visit engineer for sky install.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 20, 2014, 22:50:04 »

Well I had a visit. Fibre went live yesterday and I thought it was working great as my speeds had increased massively. Had a knock on the door and the fella said they'd picked up a fault between my house and the junction box when setting it up. He came in, ran some tests and located the fault 50 metres away.
Changed my master socket and faceplate and then investigated the fault and fixed it. Superb service as I didn't even know anything was wrong. My bill has gone up by a fiver a month and have had all that for the price of it. Well pleased
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, December 20, 2014, 22:58:33 »

Great news, its good innit!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: