Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mike Spearman article  (Read 5574 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 12:21:51 »

....by Sam Morshead.

There's a part 1 and 2 in there somewhere.  An interesting read....

http://swindonlinksport.com/subcategory/swindon-football-club

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 12:27:13 »

Would have liked to have read more detail personally. Nothing about some individuals in there that I'd like to have read his views on. An interesting read nonetheless
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 14:35:27 »

Interesting to read about Power being so on edge during matchdays. Always pictured him being quite cool and calculating in the background. I suppose it's time to finally retire the bond villain image I established during the early weeks of the takeover.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 15:40:06 »

Always got on great with Mike Spearmint, I worked at the club when he joined and was always a nice friendly person who genuinely loved the fans.

A good interesting read that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 15:48:15 »

Always got on great with Mike Spearmint, I worked at the club when he joined and was always a nice friendly person who genuinely loved the fans.

A good interesting read that.

It's one of those curious things, that Mike is a genuinely good guy... and the fans like to think there is someone of around who they can trust, but reading the list of chancers who got involved on his unofficial watch, is a bit scary.

We could do with another Cecil Green, but these types of people don't seem to exist any more in public life...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:10:14 »

It is quite shocking hearing about the chancers that we have had along the way, the chances of another Cecil Green I am afraid probably won't happen again in my lifetime but you never know there could be a rich STFC fan who loves the club and has a business head that could come in.

Nah thats not the way of football these days, those men are rare, luckily for Shitty they have one in Lansdown but they are very much in the minority these days.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:11:25 »

It's annoying that I can a good article and only think, 'we lost 4-2 at Old Trafford, not 4-0 and conceded 100 goals'.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:14:11 by Costanza » Logged
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:13:51 »

Couple of mistakes though.....we lost 4-2 at Man U, not 4-0. And we conceded 100 goals not 102.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:17:56 »

It's annoying that I can a good article and only think, 'we lost 4-2 at Old Trafford, not 4-0 and conceded 100 goals'.

However it's understandable, with Mike at 85, then the odd slip can be excused, not sure what Sam's excuse is mind.

We were one of only 2 teams to score an aggreagate 4 v the Champions that season.
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 17:33:32 »

However it's understandable, with Mike at 85, then the odd slip can be excused, not sure what Sam's excuse is mind.

We were one of only 2 teams to score an aggreagate 4 v the Champions that season.
My excuse is that it was his quote, Reg. Always a tricky one that - changing a quote.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 17:44:24 »

Good to read he thought Jed was a prick
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 17:57:49 »

Good to read he thought Jed was a prick
Although (and it may be the way it comes out, rather than what he actually meant) it kind of comes over that he mainly took umbrage when his boardroom privileges were threatened rather than because Jed was wrecking the club. Don't get me wrong, he's a lovely fella by all accounts, but he seems to have stood by silently when a hell of a lot of tossers were doing our club over up, down and sideways.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:11:05 »

Although (and it may be the way it comes out, rather than what he actually meant) it kind of comes over that he mainly took umbrage when his boardroom privileges were threatened rather than because Jed was wrecking the club. Don't get me wrong, he's a lovely fella by all accounts, but he seems to have stood by silently when a hell of a lot of tossers were doing our club over up, down and sideways.
What would you have done?
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:34:28 »

Don't forget that he's eighty fucking five.  And even in the darkest days he was well into his 70s, with no real power at the club and probably only (like Carson and others) a financial interest to try to protect.  If I have the energy to be alive at those ages, never mind following Swindon all over the country, I'll take that. And excuse me if I'm not up to fighting off chancers, scoundrels and hoodwinkers like some geriatric superhero.

The amount that Mike (and plenty of other well-intentioned local small businessmen) personally invested - and risked in Swindon Town Football Club, puts our own creditable efforts at buying a season ticket or two into sharp perspective.  I know that I wouldn't have lost my home if the court case went the wrong way in the summer, and Jed took us off into the sunset.

Mike taught me about loyalty (what was that game in about 84, on a Sunday and there wasn't even a programme for the 2000 there to grumble into?  Mike picked me up and made sure I was there); about cricket (opening the bat and playing the arc) and most of all about finding a boozer when all seemed lost (that day at Northampton a million years ago when it kicked off with the double decker).

It is a shame that there are none of his Joey Beauchamp anecdotes in there, but well done Sam on a decent piece - even if it feels like there's a book worth of stuff that we've not heard.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 20:26:44 »

What would you have done?
Speak out.

EDIT: Although Christy makes a fair point about his age
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 20:31:36 by pauld » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: