Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28999 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:06:41 »

If anyone who went has the time for an opinion when they get home then please do share it.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:15:52 »

Just got back. We played well and had a great deal of possession. I think the defence made 3 mistakes all game and gillingham scored twice and hit the bar with the third. We need to be more dangerous with ball though. Gladwin was ok first half but faded in the second. There seemed to be an unwillingness to give the ball to B Smith on the left, but we need to use him more to create more space, he has a great cross on him as well. We comfortably deserved the point and on balance should have won but we didnt really have the clear cut chances you would expect for the amount of possession we had. Williams took his goal really well but it was down the other end so difficult to see clearly.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:17:58 »

fantastic display of passing football but worrying that we need 9 chances to score twice when gillingham created 2 chances and scored twice and o
their 1st goal was created by us. Kass and Mass totally dominated midfield from start to  finish, Byrne again dangerous.Smith M didnt have a great day but cleverly set up Williams for his goal.Thompson shaky at times but Turnbull impressive at the back.Gillingham played like an away team and Id be well pissed off if I had to watch that every week.5 men at the back at home against an away side with 3 at the back, a joke.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
london_red

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:18:58 »

First game I've been to this season but sounded similar to Crawley and Luton. Dominated possession and created by far the best openings, but they scored from their first two shots. Playing our style always going to be harder when you're behind and teams can pack men behind the ball.

Was impressed by Smith(B) but he didn't get the ball enough.

Williams' goal seemed to make him a new player and while he didn't get many more clear chances he chased everything and had a much better work rate.

Back 3 are an asset when we have the ball but there'll be plenty of heart in mouth moments this season.

Saturday looking like it could be 7-6 with how Crewe have started so get your money on 0-0 now.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:19:33 »

Cheers  Smiley
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:00:38 »

One thing that really frustrated me last night was the short corners. It's not like we don't have any height in the box and yet we insisted on passing it around the edge of the box before it eventually ended up back on the half way line.
doomster

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:11:53 »

Trouble is we get gladwin to take those corners thus removing some of the height.  Really louis Thompson (when playing) and or Byrne should take corners and swing them in under the cross bar.

Same applies to free kicks in similar territory why we prefer to make a threatening situation an opportunity to go back to the half way line is truly bizarre.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:14:52 »

One thing that really frustrated me last night was the short corners. It's not like we don't have any height in the box and yet we insisted on passing it around the edge of the box before it eventually ended up back on the half way line.
It started to get irritating when we still did it despite Gillingham having 2 players out there marking ours everytime. Played well and without those 2 mistakes would have been a comfortable win. Decent point though
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:50:09 »

fantastic display of passing football but worrying that we need 9 chances to score twice when gillingham created 2 chances and scored twice and o

If we keep that level of performance up we'll get our just desserts. Consistency is key but I do believe you make your own luck.

Also, Taylor is a bloody good manager. He'd done his homework on us and then some. He'll be happy with a point after the game definitely.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:44:27 »

Personally think it's a good point away from home - and even better to stick in a 90th minute equaliser against the pikies!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:50:00 »

Just got back. We played well and had a great deal of possession. I think the defence made 3 mistakes all game and gillingham scored twice and hit the bar with the third. We need to be more dangerous with ball though. Gladwin was ok first half but faded in the second. There seemed to be an unwillingness to give the ball to B Smith on the left, but we need to use him more to create more space, he has a great cross on him as well. We comfortably deserved the point and on balance should have won but we didnt really have the clear cut chances you would expect for the amount of possession we had. Williams took his goal really well but it was down the other end so difficult to see clearly.

A lot of that sounds like the Scunny game. Gladwin playing well first half but fading in the second, Brad Smith being ignored on the left when in good positions etc.

Not wishing to come over all Reg, I am pleased with a battling point but Gillingham had a lot of key players out injured which I guess forced them to play at home soaking up our possession and relying on mistakes and balls over the top to create chances.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:51:07 »

I'd be a lot more worried if we weren't creating chances. Keep creating chances in the quantity we have and someone will get an absolute battering soon.

Can see Williams getting a few, sounded as if his confidence grew last night after the goal.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:04:23 »

Took a quick look at the Pikey's OS, and Taylor (who knows his stuff) is quite complimentary about our performance. 

http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/article/taylor-swindon-media-aug-20-1841697.aspx

kerry red

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:30:17 »

We are not very far away from being realistic contenders for the top 6 - if not better.

If we only had a fraction of the money PdC wasted in his reign we'd get there.

As it is, I reckon we're in for a replica of last season - which is no bad thing - maybe even a bit better.

Byrne has been the stand out player for me - more than making up for Pritchard - just needs the odd goal here and there.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:33:10 »

To balance out your view Audrey we need inept and crass input.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: