Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Town no closer to new faces  (Read 10448 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 10:06:04 »

I don't think I can remember a pre-season with as little transfer activity as this one.  Was expecting a small flurry of activity in late July, and it never came.

Power clearly has a youth-based philosophy, and he's sticking to it.  What I find bizarre is that there appears to be so little (or no) money for a few older heads whose presence will complement and develop the youth.  We seem to have significantly less financial clout than a plethora of clubs in the division with smaller infrastructure - ground capacity, catchment, fanbase etc. - than we have.  Punching well below our weight.  Disappointing.

It's either bold or stupid, whichever way I suspect an exciting season ahead....it's important that we get the home form going from the off, because like last season, it's difficult to see this side winning too many on the road.  

Can we maintain our Div 3 status, or are we back on the Div3/Div4 yo-yo?
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 10:10:00 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 10:08:41 »

I don't think I can remember a pre-season with as little transfer activity as this one.  Was expecting a small flurry of activity in late July, and it never came.

Power clearly has a youth-based philosophy, and he's sticking to it.  What I find bizarre is that there appears to be so little (or no) money for a few older heads whose presence will complement and develop the youth.  We seem to have significantly less financial clout than a plethora of clubs in the division with smaller infrastructure - ground capacity, catchment, fanbase etc. - than we have.  Punching well below our weight.  Disappointing.

This completely.

It will be interesting to see how August and September go.  If we do poorly, the supporters will turn fairly quickly.  I think everyone appreciates we need to run things in a more sustainable manner, but you've only got to look at the significant decrease in season ticket sales to see that people see that as meaning we'll plod along as a League 1 club with no real chance of pushing on.  

Heaven forbid if we start to slip down League 1 and selling players as the season progresses.  There just doesn't feel like there's much to draw people back to the County Ground or even keep some of us longer term supporters there.  If I'm honest, I don't see it that changing without investment and there doesn't appear to be anyone around willing or able to put in.

In terms of Ward, having spoken to him at the school, he's pretty much been frozen out.  Unless somebody comes in for him that isn't the other end of the country, he'll continue to train and pick up his wages as his family are settled here.  Doesn't help us really, but can see why he would do that from a personal perspective.
DRS

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 10:26:55 »

One of my worries is that now Sherwood has left Spurs Power does not have as many contacts in the game as he has made out.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 12:11:28 »

Sherwood and Les Ferdinand in stand with Cooper for first half of yesterdays game. No players from Spurs but some tactical input maybe?

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 12:49:31 »

The first XI doesn't look brilliant, not poor either.
The lack of signings is worrying but then a lot of clubs hold onto player until they are certain they don't need them and it some cases it's like buying a house with an onward chain!
I've no evidence back this up but I expect the majority of loan signings go through on deadline day. So I think we will get a few in.

The worry is, if/when we go get loan players in, we appear to be wanting/needing to build our team around them rather than having them slot into the team/squad that's already prepared for the season.

It's always good to have decent loan players like Pritchard last season but the issue is then replacing a vital part of your team, loan players should had depth rather than being the focus.

I think we will a few in on loan which may potentially disrupt anything we've done in pre season or leave us unprepared for the seasons start.

The depth is worrying - at the moment, one injury, one suspension and one player off form and we'll be throwing in the under 12s

We'll see what happens but think this is very much a bottom half of the table team.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 13:06:41 »

The depth is worrying - at the moment, one injury, one suspension and one player off form and we'll be throwing in the under 12s
You mean the Salver Cup Winners over Everton?  They might be skilled enough to make influential ball boys if ever we go that way.

I fear that a poor start could mean a long season (the sort Reg seems to imply is exciting) and a dip in numbers at the CG

The only plus for me is that I feared this at this stage last season which was quite creditable and even lucrative.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 13:29:30 »

I think we will actually start well.
It's when the fixtures pile up and injuries hit us we will struggle.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 14:12:05 »

We'll get the players we need and we'll be ok.

It's All Good..............
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 14:18:40 »

Many wrote last season off before it started on the basis we would build for 2014/15 and mount a challenge. While I am of course wary of speaking too soon it does appear increasingly likely any further incomings will be kids. It will be very interesting to see if we do start slowly (which I think we will), how patient the fan base will be...

The backline is frightening and I hope Cooper and Power can see that or we will struggle.

Also, I think we need a sweepstake for the date of the first rant about loaning out Storey...won't be long I am sure.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 14:18:55 »

I think we will actually start well.
It's when the fixtures pile up and injuries hit us we will struggle.

The danger is we dont start well and then implode when the fixtures pile up and injuries hit us
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 15:10:34 »

I said on Twitter this week that I worry we will struggle. Last season we had more quality. We had Pritch, Mason, Ranger, Troy, J Mac. Letting the latter of them go was a big mistake. J Mac would have been the perfect captain this season, an older head who showed leadership here last season.

We don't have that backbone of players now and that's what makes me worry. The midfield looks good but there are no wide options. Why don't we sign some proper wingers? Smith can bang a few in upfront but other than that I can't see where the goals will come from to be honest. The back line really worries me. No leadership and very mistake prone. We need Stephens to come in. Again I think we should have taken a punt on a 1 year deal for Troy as well.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 15:17:09 »

The midfield looks good but there are no wide options. Why don't we sign some proper wingers?

Going with wing-backs this season it seems. Probably the best option for a smaller squad.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 15:27:37 »

I said on Twitter this week that I worry we will struggle. Last season we had more quality. We had Pritch, Mason, Ranger, Troy, J Mac. Letting the latter of them go was a big mistake. J Mac would have been the perfect captain this season, an older head who showed leadership here last season.

We don't have that backbone of players now and that's what makes me worry. The midfield looks good but there are no wide options. Why don't we sign some proper wingers? Smith can bang a few in upfront but other than that I can't see where the goals will come from to be honest. The back line really worries me. No leadership and very mistake prone. We need Stephens to come in. Again I think we should have taken a punt on a 1 year deal for Troy as well.
J Mac didn't want to stay but hasn't yet found a new club. I think he sold up and left the area pretty soon after the end of the season if memories serves correctly? We could have taken a punt on Troy but there was every chance we'd have ended up with a crock after half a dozen games and burdened with his wage. I think letting him go was probably the right decision albeit a risky one. Ranger should have been given the boot long before we eventually got rid of him and ditching both Harley and Ward is the correct decision.

The problem doesn't lie with the players we let go but the lack of recruitment but in recent years we've recruited key players at the last minute who have been important figures - Kasim, Ranger and Ajose last season for example.
kerry red

« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 17:16:53 »

I think Gladwin will be a good player this season and I still have hope for Williams.

Throw in the rest of the midfield and the leagues best keeper and we will be OK
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 17:42:54 »

I think Gladwin will be a good player this season and I still have hope for Williams.

Throw in the rest of the midfield and the leagues best keeper and we will be OK
I like your way of thinking
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: