Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Obscure XI  (Read 36138 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 06:33:52 »

Think he scored but we didn't win.
Score the winner on his debut, home to Port Vale...on one of the coldest nights ever?

Proctor scored two in four games, so a pretty good RAF return. One was in a defeat at Luton (3-1?)

Neil Webb.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 07:12:00 »

Ben Martin and Kevin James.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 08:22:46 »

Dave Partridge
Claude Gnapka
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 08:41:14 »

Never heard of Darren, but Derek Hall is an obscure curio....

Richard Green and Lee Middleton were two other players from that era who made the team photos without playing.

Neither were that young either, Green did okay before and after his season at Swindon. Middleton and his (twin?) brother both played for Coventry, the other Middleton had a longer career in the pros than ours did... I think.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 08:51:55 by Costanza » Logged
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 08:50:26 »

Nicky Tanner on loan from Liverpool. Ex-Rovers.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 09:58:44 »

Never heard of Darren, but Derek Hall is an obscure curio....
There is some one by the name of Hall in that 92/93 photo - I don't know if his name was Darren or not and I have no memory of him, certainly obscure though

Looking at that reminds me of the Channel Islander Chris Hamon - I don't know if he's been mentioned already?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 14:29:02 »

Nicky Tanner on loan from Liverpool. Ex-Rovers.

He wasn't obscure, just fucking useless.

I guess it didn't help his cause that he was brought in to cover Calderwood
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 07:35:47 »

(My memory really is clogged up with shite. Thanks to this thread it's finally proved useful)

Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 19:40:06 »

I want to flag up Roy Compton....now I never saw Roy play, but he's always been something of a mystery to me.  We go back to the 73/74 season when we were wretched under Les Allen, Roy was a 19 year old striker who we'd picked up the year before I think from Millwall.

Roy is called in to make his debut at Ayresome Park, v MBoro, who are top of the league, whilst we're detached at the bottom.  It's February, and Boro field what many consider to be the hardest sounding team to have played English football....not only did they sound hard...they were hard.

Platt
Craggs
Spraggon
Souness
Boam
Maddren
Murdoch
Foggon
Mills
Hickton
Armstrong
sub....Brine

Ok not unexpectedly we lose, but Roy scores on debut. His home debut is in front of 2,600 a few days later, in one of those 3 day week matches, which kicked off week day afternoon because of power cuts. The following Sat in front of 5000 odd Roy scores v Cardiff and we get a point...so 2 in 3, a seemingly decent start.  A week later Roy is subbed v Pompey at the CG, and that was it...never played another league game for anyone.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 19:56:04 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 08:38:57 »

Paul Edwards
Adam Willis
Alex Smith (scorer away at wba on 9/11)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 09:07:58 »

Played against John Kelly in some charity match at Tisbury ...mid 90s...(Ian Beale and Archie from Emmerdale was there too). He told me he fell out with Macari and that was that.

Jimmy Gilligan has to a shout for me......seemed alright but was bombed out..

Clems Army!
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #101 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 12:32:59 »

Roy Compton is a mystery to me too. Disappeared without trace.

Another who played a handful of games around that time, and scored a couple – Richard Legg, nicknamed, of course, Dicky Legg.

David Munks, same era.

Mike Dillon, on loan from Spurs. Played 7, then seems to have had a career with New York Cosmos, Washington Diplomats….and Cheshunt.

Phil Harris, who I mentioned earlier: 1 sub appearance in 1976. That’s it. Some career…

We really had some rubbish in those years.
kerry red

« Reply #102 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 12:44:49 »

I went to school with Richard Legge in Chippenham - albeit he was a couple of years older than me.

He played at the old Hardenhuish ground for Chippenham before making it 'big' with STFC!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 12:50:31 »

Makes me think of how many town players are local to swindon. Charlie Griffin from chippenham,  Fitzroy Simpson from Bradford on Avon iirc?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, August 4, 2014, 13:36:04 »

Makes me think of how many town players are local to swindon. Charlie Griffin from chippenham,  Fitzroy Simpson from Bradford on Avon iirc?

Fitzroy played for a youth team v my mate at Warminster town, apart from him setting up two goals and scoring a Hattrick my mate owned him!

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: