Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Obscure XI  (Read 36139 times)
kerry red

« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 17:23:29 »

Yeah, there's a whole separate thread potential in 'players who seemed like they'd be great signings but really weren't'

I was very excited with the prospect of Gareth Whalley running our midfield like a league One Xavi.

Also Wilf I think you're talking about Marion Broomes, although the fact that I remember him and I was about 7 that season suggests he might not be eligible.

Marlon Broomes was a good player - scored an absolute scorcher (Brum?) at the CG when on loan from Blackburn.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #61 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 18:08:49 »

I haven't heard of so many of these - think you should put the year they played next to their name.

Mick Blick are you sure?

I've had a rummage...

Mick Blick, if he's an anorak like me, can pick up his copy of Town -v- AS Roma, 'International League Cup Winners Cup' programme, 1969, and see his name missing. But if he has the official team sheet, he'll show his grandchildren that he played, and won 4-0. Against Fabio Capello et al.

Rod Desmeules slightly less so. He's in the picture of the squad -v- Juventus the previous season, but didn't play. A Juve team including the legendary Luis Del Sol, Real Madrid European Cup Winner in the Di Stefano (RIP), Puskas era. So close...

David Round had 4 sponsors, no less, in the programme of 80/81. 2 more in 81/82. Doesn't seem to have made an appearance, although I have the prog for Town -v- Huddersfield in Sept 80 and he's penciled- (or in my case biroed) in as a sub, in the days when, it seems, non-playing subs didn't get a mention in the official records. I wonder if Sharon & Julie Keyse of Cashes Green (where?) felt they got value for money for their £38 2-year sponsorship...

At least these guys made the Show. Nearly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 18:28:45 »

I've had a rummage...

Mick Blick, if he's an anorak like me, can pick up his copy of Town -v- AS Roma, 'International League Cup Winners Cup' programme, 1969, and see his name missing. But if he has the official team sheet, he'll show his grandchildren that he played, and won 4-0. Against Fabio Capello et al.

Rod Desmeules slightly less so. He's in the picture of the squad -v- Juventus the previous season, but didn't play. A Juve team including the legendary Luis Del Sol, Real Madrid European Cup Winner in the Di Stefano (RIP), Puskas era. So close...

David Round had 4 sponsors, no less, in the programme of 80/81. 2 more in 81/82. Doesn't seem to have made an appearance, although I have the prog for Town -v- Huddersfield in Sept 80 and he's penciled- (or in my case biroed) in as a sub, in the days when, it seems, non-playing subs didn't get a mention in the official records. I wonder if Sharon & Julie Keyse of Cashes Green (where?) felt they got value for money for their £38 2-year sponsorship...

At least these guys made the Show. Nearly.

Cashes Green is Stroud way I think.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 18:42:54 »

Alan Flanagan has to be worth a mention. One (apparently) superb game at Sheffield Utd...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 18:56:57 »

Alex Rhodes, anybody? Can honestly say I just can't recall him.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=RHODESAL
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:10:54 »

Alex Rhodes, anybody? Can honestly say I just can't recall him.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=RHODESAL

Why I mentioned him on page 3  Smiley

I thought he may have been a Kingy signing, but was a Wise signing according to that.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:11:24 »

He was quite highly rated at the time I seem to recall.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:14:43 »

Why I mentioned him on page 3  Smiley

So you did Reginald. Well played.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:18:03 »

So you did Reginald. Well played.

He's definitely obscure though...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 19:39:44 »

Must admit Alex Rhodes is the first name mentioned on this thread that I've seen play but had totally forgotten about.
All the others I recall or are before my time.
ekarot

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:01:22 »

Howard Goddard 1976/77 is related to my wife's family from pen hill left footed player with huge blow dried hair.Glenn cocker I'll was cock for us but good for saints until Paul Davis at gooners sorted him.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:02:16 »

To qualify for this, there should be a minimum number of games played to make it a challenge.  Chris Hamon was an interesting call.  I remember him quite easily, name wise, and I remember him playing against Wolves away at the end of the 94/95 season.  I am sure I saw him play again, but have no memory of him after that debut appearance.

Nathan Edwards I simply cannot place, I don't think and while I remember him, McAreavey played a lot more than I remember, over a few seasons!
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:04:38 »

Steve Peplow.
ekarot

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:11:56 »

Dont forget the disco king frank mcavannie Andy Rollins Dave cole Derek hall Steve berry John Kelly Roy wegerle  Craig Taylor and terry gibson
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 1, 2014, 20:23:00 »

Berry and Wegerle did ok in their short spells for us I thought
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: