Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Apple Mac. Problem with Trash.  (Read 3690 times)
Munichred

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 4, 2014, 19:15:19 »

Help needed!

I have an Apple Mac Book, running Safari and Firefox.  The short version: I put 3  Safari Applications in the Trash today,
all three trusted applications I don't need any more. There were just those three in the box. I then tried to Empty Trash using Secure Empty Trash.  A box appeared showing the items to be trashed, and there were over 4,000 and they started being deleted. I stopped the action.  What was happening???       I opened a Bluetooth message yesterday which I thought was sent by a friend but it wasn't and I deleted it immediately. The computer started the whirring noise it makes when under load. Did some sort of virus get in which is causing the Trash problem?

I need advice in words of one syllable, or at least understandable by me as a non-techy.

Cheers

John
South Hams STFC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 4, 2014, 22:54:37 »

As far as I am aware there are no viruses etc. that can effect Macs... The problem may be in trying to delete Safari as it is part of the Mac OS

Proud supporter of Swindon Town since 1974...
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 4, 2014, 23:31:58 »

Set it on fire.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 06:09:31 »

As far as I am aware there are no viruses etc. that can effect Macs... The problem may be in trying to delete Safari as it is part of the Mac OS

I wasn't trying to delete Safari, just 3 Applications. 2 were Full Tilt Poker and the other was RAC Route Planner
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 07:13:08 »

Wrong.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 11:56:40 »

I don't know much about Macs but if they are anything like Windows then a single application could have hundreds if not thousands of associated files which would all be deleted along with the main app. Try Google if there aren't any Apple experts on here.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 12:15:52 »

app zapper is what you need for your mac. best way to completely remove all items from any installed apps.

http://www.appzapper.com
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 12:17:38 by magicroundabout » Logged

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 5, 2014, 13:36:25 »

put the whole mac in the trash
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 6, 2014, 22:29:06 »

Thanks for the advice. It seems I was worrying about the 4,000+ items for nothing.

I dragged the applications out of the trash and opened them. There were indeed many files which I started to trash in small batches, eventually dragging the applications back into trash and trashing the lot. Nothing bad happened Smiley
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 7, 2014, 04:42:59 »

I blame Jesus.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 18:38:01 »

I don't know much about Macs but if they are anything like Windows then a single application could have hundreds if not thousands of associated files which would all be deleted along with the main app. Try Google if there aren't any Apple experts on here.

Barry Scott is an Apple convert now I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: