Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guess/who do you want on opening day thread 14/15...  (Read 6579 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 10:50:59 »

Not just that. Over the recent past, there's been a Wolves, Forest, Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Soton down here, to leaven the dough a bit, some seasons even a couple of them.

Then, sometimes locals like Rovers, Cheltnumb to add a bit of spice.   A seaside trip, like a Bormuff, Plymuff, Pompey, Brighton or even a Torquay, is always welcome....but now all somewhere else.

No, however you want to look at it, aside from Bristol City, there's not much to excite.

A very good summary Reg.

It's pretty bloody dull this season, isn't it?

Bad Mood
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 10:57:00 »

Why no Jan 1st fixtures?  That is surely a first.
kerry red

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 11:09:52 »

Coventry, playing at Sixfields in front of 1500, doesn't quite cut it.

I was only thinking of ease of travel, really, in comparison to the multitude of Norvern outposts
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 11:15:05 »

Most of the quietness I put down to the court case, there is no way Power will invest in manpower or signings if he is no longer deemed to be in control of the club come the 26th June.

If Jed is (however unlikely it seems) said to have a stake/full ownership of the club then there are many rumours he will oust Cooper from his role (cue Cooper haters joy) so it is entirely understandable that there is a deafening silence from the CG at the moment.

I don't like it either but I fully appreciate that nothing can be done until that date.

At least most players arent even out of contract until the 1st July so I doubt we have missed out on any potential signings yet, even though PdC would have probably signed 12 players by now Cheesy

CUE: Yippeeeee!

Not bothered now....just need this board thing dusted.

Barnsley away is one of my last 6 to do.

City on Easter Monday looks good.

Clems Army!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 11:22:09 »

Prem playing that day  Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 11:27:27 »

Nothing other than a guess but, with New Year's Day falling on a Thursday, you really have to choose between having a game on Jan 1st or Jan 3rd.  Otherwise, you would have 4 games in 9 days (Dec 26th to Jan 3rd incl), which would be pushing it a little.

Faced with the choice of having a game on Jan 1st or Jan 3rd, Jan 3rd is probably the more sensible option given that the following day (a Sunday) is going to be a day off for more people.  Just a guess.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 11:58:50 »

Equally aren't 'holiday' games supposed to be local to help the fans travel, Fleetwood away? I live in Lancaster which is only about 20 mile up the road and its a ball ache to get to on public transport even from here!

Oh and my other local game Preston away is on the wifes birthday....  thanks fixture computer...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 12:13:47 »

Oh and my other local game Preston away is on the wifes birthday....  thanks fixture computer...

Well that's her present sorted then.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 12:55:33 »

Judging by the fixtures can only see myself getting to 5 away games next season - As mentioned Shitty away Easter Monday looks like the stand out in what is a very Northern league!

Also, what is it with the FLs computer? Away again on a boxing day ffs!

#VivaKenBarlow!
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 16:17:59 »

Orient away is always a great day out and going to do it again this year but I wont waste money and go to the game this time.
Ruined a good day out that did.
Mrs Miggins

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 18:43:31 »

Like a few others, am rather pissed off that we are away on Boxing Day for the 8th yr running so I emailed the Football League asking them to explain how this can be fair. 

This is the response I received, don't know why I expected to get a decent answer! sorry it's a bit long winded.  Hmmm

Thank you for your email.

We have raised your query with our fixtures and competitions department who have advised the following.

Swindon Town are one of three teams in League 1 who do not have a natural pairing, others are Crewe Alexandra and Gillingham. Pairing are when clubs are linked together, usually due to proximity and thus avoid fixture clashes, assisting with club and local authority requests. You will note that all of these three teams are away on Boxing Day so it was difficult to force a Swindon change to be at home in any of the available slots in the pairing grid.  There are a number of potential knock-on effects of pairings. One such example may be knocking all South Yorkshire clubs to be at home and all permutations have to be considered. However the fixture officer was aware of the frequency of away games you note and will certainly look at this for next season.

By way of some background, The Football League works with the clubs themselves in attempting to shape fixture lists that meet the majority of clubs’ approval. This is due to the complex methodology involved in the compilation of the fixture lists. The fixtures are worked on for many months by The Football League’s competitions department and our fixture scheduling partners. During this time all considerations and requests from all clubs are considered by The Football League, to get to a position where most are satisfied with the final list.

Along with certain basic competition rules on home and away frequencies, often there are several circumstances which dictate when fixtures will fall and many are specific to individual clubs (such as when near neighbours are home/away or whether there is a local public event/activity taking place on a certain date). Once the fixture lists have been compiled, Clubs will consult the Football League’s competitions department to attempt to mould their fixture list in their favour but it is extremely difficult to meet all clubs’ requests.

There may be specific reasons why a club has indicated they might wish to play a certain fixture at home or away so it might be worth consulting with the Club regarding a specific date/change.

A couple of historical online resources may provide further insight into the process for you.

Football League FAQ – Fixtures Explained http://www.football-league.co.uk/features/20120618/behind-the-scenes-compiling-the-fixture-list_2293307_2813098   

News story on The Guardian from 2013 regarding the compilation process http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/15/fixtures-premier-league-football-league-compiled  

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Kind Regards,
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 18:49:10 »

Least you got a reply!

Clems Army!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 19:00:02 »

So would shitty not be a pairing? Or did they get yeovil in the FL game of snap
Mrs Miggins

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 19:16:02 »

So would shitty not be a pairing? Or did they get yeovil in the FL game of snap

Would've thought so wouldn't you, but I guess The Gas Heads  still have to be taken into the equation even if they are non league (stiffles snigger) Was going to say the Police overtime bill would probably scupper any chance of us playing them on a bank holiday, but we are at Trashton  Gate Easter Monday, so god knows!
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 19:27:36 »

Swindon Town are one of three teams in League 1 who do not have a natural pairing, others are Crewe Alexandra and Gillingham. Pairing are when clubs are linked together, usually due to proximity

If Crewe is not a natural pairing with Port Vale at a distance of about 12 miles, then their argument falls flat on it's face.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: