Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League shake up proposals  (Read 25599 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:03:44 »

Led by Mr Greg Dyke....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Are they seriously considering completely shaking up a system that has worked very well for decades just to try and improve the national team? Why bring in laws to help the big clubs poach young talent off smaller clubs for nothing, then create a new league for these kids to go and play in? Seems completely pointless.

I hope common sense prevails. This is NOT the answer!
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:12:20 »

If I supported a Premiership team and cared massively about the national team then I'd love this plan.  I do neither of those things therefore hate this idea.

Doubt it will happen anyway, restructuring plans come up every now and again and always end up being binned.

DMR

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:22:07 »

I've not read his suggestions in detail but isn't he basically on about reserve PL teams playing in the lower leagues? In which case, why not? It works for the rest of Europe.

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:27:40 »

This isn't worse than the whole academies idea which lets big clubs poach young talent for cheap from somewhere else. That's much worse.

I don't see a problem with having Man U II playing in the league. But they shouldn't get a free pass just because 'daddy' is in the Premiership- they have to start at the bottom and work their way up.
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:06:12 »

What would happen though if Man U II were promoted to the PL? If they are unable to be promoted, then how will they be able to play in a league that is otherwise competitive?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:12:24 »

What would happen though if Man U II were promoted to the PL?

Well then Man U II would play in the PL.

Seriously though, I doubt that'd ever happen, because if a reserve team does so well one year in the championship then its better players will probably be promoted to the First Team.

Perhaps they should be assigned to a fixed league, but then it's unfair on everyone else in the league.
kerry red

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:19:28 »

I've not read his suggestions in detail but isn't he basically on about reserve PL teams playing in the lower leagues? In which case, why not? It works for the rest of Europe.

But that's what happens now. We only have to look at our team this year to see PL reserves playing in lower leagues.

And just how would another 20 clubs be integrated into the 3 other divisions?
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:21:34 »

What would happen though if Man U II were promoted to the PL? If they are unable to be promoted, then how will they be able to play in a league that is otherwise competitive?

Doesn't seem to affect them too much in Spain, but maybe they are just used to it? A few of the top teams have reserve sides who've made it to the second tier, but can't get promoted to the top division. If they come top the next team just gets promoted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983%E2%80%9384_Segunda_Divisi%C3%B3n

Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:28:57 »

Doesn't seem to affect them too much in Spain, but maybe they are just used to it? A few of the top teams have reserve sides who've made it to the second tier, but can't get promoted to the top division. If they come top the next team just gets promoted

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Also, what about attendances? How many of these B teams will be reasonably well followed. Yet another kick in the teeth for lower leagues financially?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:36:29 »

Ah, yes, another scheme to "benefit the national team and help develop young English players", that old lie again. That was the lie they used to sell the Premiership, and guess what? The top teams stuffed their teams with foreign players to the detriment of young English players and the national team. And if they're allowed to get away with this, they'll stuff their B teams with foreign players.

Notice also that the Championship clubs are banded with the Premiership clubs in being allowed to enter their B teams lower down - this is a bridgehead for Premier League 2 by the back door.

The "problem" here is that the top Premiership sides are warehousing players they have no hope of ever being able to use, not even so much on the off chance that they might become useful, as to stop the other sides from signing them. I don't see why the lower leagues should continue to be pulled apart to solve problems the mega-clubs have created for themselves.

The idea of  football as an actual sporting competition grows ever more distant each time something like this is suggested and inevitably nodded through. The FA should grow a pair and rein in the PL, not keep finding new and ever more ridiculous ways to hitch up their skirts and bend over for them.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 10:55:07 »

This would benefit the big clubs only. Would do nothing for the likes of swindon town. A bit like a Tory government looking after the rich whilst the poor suffer.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:07:58 »

The "problem" here is that the top Premiership sides are warehousing players they have no hope of ever being able to use, not even so much on the off chance that they might become useful, as to stop the other sides from signing them. I don't see why the lower leagues should continue to be pulled apart to solve problems the mega-clubs have created for themselves.

Bang on the money
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:09:37 »

I see Chelsea have won the Youth Cup for the third time in 5 years.

Not one of those who played has become even a bit part player for the first team.

2 players have each played once for first team.

Until they limit the number of foreign players who can be in the starting 11 will there even be a chance of seeing an improvement in the national team
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:37:08 »

Imagine a Championship made up of 20 PL reserve sides and 4 real clubs. You could finish in the bottom four and win promotion!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:39:27 »

That time you play Man Utd B and Van Persie and Rooney are coming back from injury but the rest of the season they have fucking Darren Fletcher. No thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: