Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DIY Advice: Hanging a Mirror  (Read 2758 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 18:00:05 »

Heres the deal.

The wife wants me to hang a mirror for her which may not seem like a big deal but its one heavy ass mirror. Probably about 25/30 KG.

We live in a new(ish) build so im going to be drilling through plasterboard.

My question is would i be safer to drill through the plasterboard and into the concrete wall or will the plasterboard hold it?
If i need to go into the concrete can someone recommend me screw length and width and also what wall plugs i should use?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 18:14:36 »

Get rob coy to do it  Wink
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 18:14:58 »

Anchor bolts.

If there's a void between the plasterboard and the breeze block make sure you get the correct bolts, otherwise standard anchor bolts will just crack the plasterboard when you tighten them.
woolster

« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 18:43:56 »

12.5 mm board will be dabbed onto wall with a 15 to 20mm void,50/60mm masonry plug and screw will do the job, be careful not to over tighten as the board will bow and then crack
fatbasher

« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 18:48:38 »

Heres the deal.

The wife wants me to hang a mirror for her which may not seem like a big deal but its one heavy ass mirror. Probably about 25/30 KG.

We live in a new(ish) build so im going to be drilling through plasterboard.

My question is would i be safer to drill through the plasterboard and into the concrete wall or will the plasterboard hold it?
If i need to go into the concrete can someone recommend me screw length and width and also what wall plugs i should use?

Depends on the dimensions of the mirror, wether it's framed and any fixing points built into the mirror/frame.

I'd be inclined to screw some batten to the wall with some Gripfill or no more nails style adhesive for extra bond. Then fix the mirror to that. It will be proud from the wall but won't go anywhere.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 19:36:01 »

Depends on the dimensions of the mirror, wether it's framed and any fixing points built into the mirror/frame.

I'd be inclined to screw some batten to the wall with some Gripfill or no more nails style adhesive for extra bond. Then fix the mirror to that. It will be proud from the wall but won't go anywhere.

dimentions = big fuck off heavy mirror :-)
its wooden framed with 2 fixing points.
I thought about the batten route but it wouldn't look right.
fatbasher

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 07:18:31 »

dimentions = big fuck off heavy mirror :-)
its wooden framed with 2 fixing points.
I thought about the batten route but it wouldn't look right.

Just checked your weight estimate. Two fixing points are not going to be enough i'd suggest. You also have to take into account that the board is dabbed onto thermolite blocks and they are a pain trying to anchor anything into.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 08:39:23 »

If you are going into breeze blocks then get an epoxy resin from buildbase or somewhere like that & pumpit into the hole then put your rawl plugs & screws in then leave it a few hours to dry then hang the mirror or you could use frame fixings that are used to fit windows, you would need to drill a slightly smaller hole than the screw, then screw the screw in & hang the mirror.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: