Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slow web browsing, i-mac 7.1 running OS X 10.4 (tiger)  (Read 4418 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Sunday, May 4, 2014, 20:27:02 »

PC user seeks help from apple mac quacks.

OK so I got the "you've used a computer, you must be an expert that can help me" thing from someone I know. No problem, I can muddle through a PC eliminating the obvious. But I get there and its a bloody mac. I last used a mac at university in 1995. Fucksake.

As it turns out its an intel core duo based iMac from circa 2005 (yes that old) running OSX 10.4, which I believe is called tiger (ROAR).

Symptoms - slow browsing. Sites take ages to open, but are quick to load once they do. Example, type www.google.co.uk. It can take 30 seconds for the site to open (search box to appear). Same happened with the BBC. But once it loaded the frontpage, the site was lightning quick to open links. Its like DNS is taking ages.

Things I know:
   - Started being slow a few months ago.
   -The internet is not slow. My laptop worked fine (no delays opening the same sites). In fact speedtest on the mac worked fine, once the site loaded.
   - Some websites (cough) keep asking him to download something called mackeeper - god knows if he did and whethe he  ran it. What is it?!

Things I tried
   - Tried to run sophos anti-virus/malware just in case, but can't since OS X 10.5 is min requirement
   - Tried to update Opera. Can't. He has the latest for 10.4
   - Tried to install Firefox (unavailable for 10.4) and then TenForFox ( can't, Intel architecture PITA. Mostly built for power Mac)
   - Ran Applejack.

Things I forgot to do
   - Check the DNS server hadn't been changed from Sky's/try open-dns - to be honest no idea how to

I have absolutely no idea how to diagnose this, given its a Mac. Any ideas gratefully received.

Ah well, at least I found a converter add on to allow docx to be opened in Word 2004!
kerry red

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 4, 2014, 20:36:55 »

Unfortunately, Mackeeper is a piece of malware which, once installed, is very difficult to get rid of.

It can sometimes install itself without anyone knowing.

If you google Mackeeper there is a apple users forum discussing the problem
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 4, 2014, 20:42:26 »

hmmm. Will have to see if it was installed then Sad
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 4, 2014, 20:45:18 »

It is supposed to help clean up the OS and also help restore deleted files.

Various pop ups keep asking for it to be downloaded and whilst some people have not been affected a lot have had major problems with it.

I think there is an uninstall available which may sort it
chunky monkey

« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 06:03:47 »

Pretty sure you can't change DNS in a Sky router, locked down
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 07:45:17 »

Pretty sure you can't change DNS in a Sky router, locked down

Thanks.

Was thinking more on the mac. On a pc you can specify the dns server address rather than get it via dhcp, assume the mac is similar (I'll google it later!)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 08:33:19 »

My advice....chuck it in the bin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 08:46:33 »

Mine too, but they seem reluctant
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 09:27:38 »

Thanks.

Was thinking more on the mac. On a pc you can specify the dns server address rather than get it via dhcp, assume the mac is similar (I'll google it later!)

System Preferences then Network. Select the relevant connection then Advanced.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 21:36:23 »

Sounds like it needs to go through the OSX upgrade path as tiger is the mac equivalent of windows XP.  I have an OSX leopard 10.5 disc which you will need to get through to the more recent versions DM me If you want more info...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 5, 2014, 22:07:35 »

Thanks  @MacPhlea , quick question, does the upgrade preserve what is already installed?

I'll check to see what they want to do, then PM you if they want to upgrade.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 05:24:25 »

Thanks  @MacPhlea , quick question, does the upgrade preserve what is already installed?

I don't think it does, but you're better off with a clean install, which is pretty painless.

http://store.apple.com/uk/question/answers/product/MC573Z/A/my-software-is-os-x-tiger-and-i-want-to-upgrade-it-with-the-snow-leopard-1068-will-that-work-or-do-i-need-snow-leopard-105-first/QFJ2C2P7FC42T4XT4

I'm not sure Tiger has Time Machine, but if you have an external HDD you can backup to HDD using Time Machine (or Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper if you don't).

Then you can install Leopard (or Snow Leopard which is superb) and as part of the installation when it asks if you want to migrate an old system, give it the backup and then it painlessly migrates all the old files/apps/settings onto the new OS.

Sorry for jumping in MacPhlea! Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 08:42:16 »

You should check what the latest version of the OS is that is supported by the iMac first. If it is from 2005 then I think the highest you can go is 10.5, officially at least. If it's a later Intel model then you can go higher.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:15:33 »

Thanks  @MacPhlea , quick question, does the upgrade preserve what is already installed?

I'll check to see what they want to do, then PM you if they want to upgrade.

It will preserve your document s and programs although depending on what is installed some May not be compatible.

Can you send a screenshot of the results when you click on the 'about this mac' under the apple logo in the top left corner?

As long a it's got a couple of gb's of ram and is an intel it will go beyond 10.5 but you need 10.5 to get to 10.6 (snow leopard) and Apple don't sell 10.5 discs anymore.  The other choice is to do a clean install of the latest OSX which may be an option.

Just copy the user profiles and applications to another disk you shouldn't need more than this as it contains all the documents, music and photos (apps don't need registry settings in OSX to work)

TOP TIP if they have iPhoto installed make sure that you export all photos from the library first (select original when option for 'kind' is displayed) - iPhoto has an uncanny knack of corrupting during upgrade paths - it's happened to me twice now. Save these as well so that if the iPhoto library corrupts you have a back up
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:30:09 by @MacPhlea » Logged
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 09:36:51 »

Sounds like a typical Microsoft solution to the problem Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: