Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are all Landlords complete bastards?  (Read 4705 times)
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 17:11:10 »

Found a new place to rent (bigger for our kids) which we are due to moved into at the end of the month, paid £100 holding fee and 200 admin fees to estate agents last week.
Then this afternoon had a phone call from the estate agents saying that the landlord wants the price of the rent to go up £50 a month.

Feel stitched up here, haven't moved in yet.

I haven't signed the contract yet, as were waiting for it to come through.

Immoral fuckers.

Anyone had similar experiences?

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 17:50:39 »

Bushey is a right tosser. He's too big for us now. I say big, but he's actually a short ass who drives a smart car.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 18:21:10 »

Mostly, yes. But letting agents are even worse. Absolute cunts the lot of them.

I'd tell him to shove it up his arse. If you agreed to proceed on the basis of a misrepresentation that the rent would be £xx pcm, and paid the admin fees on that basis, then you're entitled to withdraw and get your admin fees back at very least.
Dozno9

« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 18:54:54 »

You've entered into a pre-contract arrangement based on x,y & z and although you have not yet signed a contract the fact is you've parted with cash based upon x,y & z and now this sounds like it is a matter (as manc_red states) of misrepresentation.

If this is the case you have the complete right to pull out and get your money back and depending how you feel you could try and prove this rise was done knowingly and gain damages from him (he may just say it was an error mind).
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 19:04:14 »

Almost entirely yes.

Private landlords are generally better than agency ones, but there are always exceptions. My current one isn't too bad but that's mostly due to apathy rather than actual helpfulness.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 20:44:27 »

We asked them to consider leaving the increase for at least six months or at least half it.

We very much have no choice and agree it for the kids sake, as we had to give our current landlord 30 days notice after we agreeing to take this one the other week. (unless they're willing to take us back?)

Got me by the nads.

tbh, our estate agents have been very helpful and will try to get him to rethink.

I will only get my holding fee back I expect, as it states admin and credit check fees are non refundable.

Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 20:55:48 »

tbh, our estate agents have been very helpful and will try to get him to rethink.

Or so they tell you.....
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 21:06:49 »

Who's the agent?
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 21:11:18 »

Select Properties.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 21:27:53 »

I've not had any dealings with them, so don't know if they're just trying it on or not.

It's a bit cuntish of the landlord, but technically within their right. Do you dare call their bluff and risk not getting the tenancy?
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 21:35:50 »

You've entered into a pre-contract arrangement based on x,y & z and although you have not yet signed a contract the fact is you've parted with cash based upon x,y & z and now this sounds like it is a matter (as manc_red states) of misrepresentation.

If this is the case you have the complete right to pull out and get your money back and depending how you feel you could try and prove this rise was done knowingly and gain damages from him (he may just say it was an error mind).

My old dear's a letting agent and she says it's against the law, or something like that, for pretty much the same reasons as Azza and manc_red says. Money has changed hands on an agreed basis which shows both parties acceptance of a contract, they then can't change the terms to suit their needs.

And don't trust your agent, sounds like they're pulling a fast one to me.

Would you mind telling me the details of the property (location, size, price)? (PM me if you want, I'm just curious if my old dear has something available.)
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 17:43:05 »

After rejecting it, they came back and agreed to keep it as the price agreed, but will likely to increase after six months by £25.

Barry, it's a 3 bedroom house in Calne.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: