Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tv aerial question  (Read 2166 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:10:17 »

Ok, so just moved into my new house and waiting for by to sort out our internet and tv. The previous owner has sky.
I've tried to plug a tv in with Free view built in but it won't pick up any channels.
My father in law mentioned when sky do an install they put another aerial point in the attic and as it's now canceled I have to switch the line back into the original aerial. Is this true and what exactly am I looking for?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:17:43 »

Is there an aerial point?  Just use that for now.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:18:39 »

If there is a dish a sky box or freesat box should work. Freeview has nothing to do with sky and you wont get a signal through a dish. They don't fit aerials as far as I know. Or touch anything to do with aerials as their service is seperate and they don't need to.
If you want free TV just buy a freesat box and you are away as long as the dish is OK.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:26:11 by arriba » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:22:35 »

If there is a dish a sky box or freesat box should work. Freeview has nothing to do with sky and you wont get a signal through a dish. They don't fit aerials as far as I know. You're not trying to get freeview from a satellite input are you?
As far as I'm aware there is no dish, I've not had a proper look. I may well be trying to get free view through a satellite input yes, would make sense as to why it's not picking anything up.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:24:05 »

You should still have a traditional TV aerial socket,  use that and choose antenna when you select input on your remote.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:29:57 »

You should still have a traditional TV aerial socket,  use that and choose antenna when you select input on your remote.
just checked and I am plugging into an aerial. I'll get the wife to check in the attic. She's smaller than me. Haha.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:33:06 »

As far as I'm aware there is no dish, I've not had a proper look. I may well be trying to get free view through a satellite input yes, would make sense as to why it's not picking anything up.

If the old house owners had sky then was it via sky or a paid freeview extra via a roof aerial or virgin ?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:37:45 »

It was via sky according to the paperwork.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:42:15 »

It was via sky according to the paperwork.
must have had a dish then. Don't usually get removed when people move out. Go and have a look outside. Any wires coming into the house near to where the old owners had their TV?
What are you after and what did you have before moving?
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:45:22 by arriba » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:50:21 »

must have had a dish then. Don't usually get removed when people move out. Go and have a look outside. Any wires coming into the house near to where the old owners had their TV?
What are you after and what did you have before moving?
ill have a proper look. There are several cables left in the house where she had the tv. One aerial type cable and 2 similar cables but with very thin pin connections one I assume went into the back of her sky box and one into the router?

We did have virgin in the old house but had to cancel as they don't supply where we have moved so went with bt

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:56:01 »

Looks like they had sky+ as the two feeds sound like satellite fee ds to me. Go find that dish and you will be laughing. A freesat recordable box will work fine if you want free TV. Wont need an aerial if the dish is there. No good with bt TV though
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 20:58:44 by arriba » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 21:10:18 »

Satellite or cable will have screw in F connectors. Standard aerial will have push in connectors.

Which do you have?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 21:14:05 »

Satellite or cable will have screw in F connectors. Standard aerial will have push in connectors.

Which do you have?
both by the sounds of it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 21:18:51 »

The "aerial type cable" could well have been used to chuck output from the Sky box to other TVs in the house. Hard to tell unless you know where it goes!

If there really is an aerial on the roof/in the attic, but the cable downstairs isn't working, then make sure they haven't removed an amplifier from the loft that used to connect the aerial (and boost the signal) to downstairs - not exactly unheard of when moving house.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 9, 2014, 21:22:35 »

Ok, so just had a look downstairs and in the front inside wall I have two boxes both have a tv socket and a sat socket . At the moment both have cables plugged into tv, one goes under the carpet to the other side of the room and the other goes into a junction box and goes upstairs. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Where the old owner had the tv are 2 screw in connectors but which look like they have come in staring through the wall from outside.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: