Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Macclesfield Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29011 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 00:01:09 »

The Opponent:  Macclesfield Town

So how many of us are going to make the long trek north for this one?  Sadly I won’t be amongst the numbers travelling what with work and everything else so its Wiltshire Sound for me in a Transit van.  The trouble is I often end up working outside of the listening area, I’m due out in Cirencester later today, so it could be a case of relying on the TEF for updates, although whenever I look for updates on here I usually find out that Player is shit and the opposition commentary is much more entertaining than ours! Another interesting week at STFC. The General Manager is no longer, with plenty of reasons as to why he is not, some laughable it has to be said. Safe journey to those making the trip today, fingers crossed you bring the result home that makes the draw much more interesting tomorrow.

Macclesfield has been accused of having few cultural amenities; in 2004, research was published in The Times naming Macclesfield and its borough the most uncultured town in Britain, based on its lack of theatres, cinemas and other cultural facilities. On the flip side, despite being a cultural desert, in 2008, the borough was named as the fifth happiest of 273 districts in Britain by researchers from the Universities of Sheffield and Manchester. Some of the more well known names from the musical world include bluesman John Mayall as well as Ian Curtis and Stephen Morris of Joy Division, and Gillian Gilbert, who along with Stephen Morris was a member of New Order; Bernard Sumner, who was also a member of both New Order and Joy Division, is from the nearby village of Alderley Edge. A memorial to Curtis is located in Macclesfield Crematorium. Other famous folk from Macclesfield include cricketing legend Jonathan Agnew, Antiques boffin David Dickinson and bearded sailing hero Ben Ainslie.

Where the opposition gather – 

http://fansonline.net/macclesfieldtown/mb/view.php?id=121263

Macclesfield  Last 6 – WLWWDW

They have served us both - Paul Ince, Ashan Holgate, Antony MacNamee, Yaser Kasim, Colin Heath, Jon Beswetherwick, Mark Gardiner, Mark Cooper

The Odds – Macclesfield  4/1  Draw 11/4  Swindon 4/6 Fancy a repeat of the Port Vale scoreline? A rather miserly 66/1 with Hills for a 2-5 away win.  Bit of a longshot for first goalscorer and rather long overdue has to be Darren Ward at 28/1 with Bet 365.

The Son Says –  He seems to remember this lot beating us before but has assured me that it was a one off and we will thrash them 1-0.

The Prediction –  I am thinking class is likely to shine through here, we are 2 leagues apart for a reason and off the back of putting 5 past Port Vale last weekend I am going for a 3-1 win, with goals from N’Guessan and a Ranger double, 2’444 in attendance with 355 from ourselves.

And Finally –  A local legend attaches to the famous flight of 108 steps from Water's Green to St Michael and All Angels Church in Macclesfield? It is said that anyone who can make it from bottom to top without taking a breath on the way will have a wish granted. The cynical, however, might wonder if any such claim was based on a quick stop in the pub where the trek begins.

COYR COYR COYR
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 00:16:57 »

Banana Skin....

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 00:17:34 »

On the 9.15 rattler for this, really excited for some reason - love The FA Cup which is probably why and a new ground to visit - didn't get to the game last season as was in London, but I think we'll win 3-0 tomorrow! 2100 in attendance with 350 making the trip up and beers to celebrate on the journey home! C.O.Y.R!!!  Pint

#VivaKenBarlow!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 01:24:17 »

Not going, myself...

I'll never forget the Friday night game where I spent 6 hours on the M5 and got in JUST before kick off after a mess around with tickets on the gate....then we lost 2-0, at 1-0 the announcer said 'Goal number one, scored by 'Gorgeous' George Donnelly!'....I vowed never to go there again based on that alone!

This time (aside from our less than convincing away form) 0-3 with Luongo, N'Guessan and Ajose scoring...325 travelling fans.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 10:11:07 »

The Opponent:  Macclesfield Town

Some of the more well known names ...........

Too kool for skool with Joy Division etc Rosso. 

Might I add the late Brian Redhead, presenter on Radio 4s Today program in the Macari, Ardiles and Hoddle years, who always trumpeted his norvern Macclesfield connection. 

Redhead once gloriously responded on the Today program to an accusation of left wing bias by Chancellor Nigel Lawson by offering a minutes silence for him to apologize in for daring to presume which way Redhead voted.

Good luck to the 300 (it seems), it will be very interesting to see how we cope.  2-1 STFC at a guess.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 10:16:53 »

After last season, making a prediction for this just seems wrong.  Fingers crossed and hope for the best.  If we get a chance to play, we'll murder them.  But I'm not sure we will.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 10:39:17 »

BBC Wilts for me today
Remember all to clearly last seasons encounter ( in fact came across last seasons programme and ticket yesterday while hunting for a logbook ) and am hoping we dont slip up again.
3-1 town with 366 making the effort to schlep up norf.

Not gonna make a prediction on scorers as think will be a few changes today
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 11:54:23 »

I have a feeling this will be a very low away attendance, 250 odd.
ChinaWhitenRed

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:01:15 »

Transmission on BBC will be shit but Luongo will Tear Them Apart 0-4

Change must come through the barrel of a gun
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:02:06 »

We will be shit and ..... sneak through 1-0 with an early Ranger goal.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:09:22 »

I'm feeling far more confident than I have any right to - never a good sign.

Nonetheless I will predict my usual...

2-0 Ranger, Ajose
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:13:19 »

I have a feeling this will be a very low away attendance, 250 odd.

You may be right esp after the nightmare trip up to Oldham only a couple of weeks ago.
Usually the FA Cup will drag a few extra fans out tho
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:18:30 »

Come on Swindon...New Year is always a more joyous time for me when the Town are in the FA Cup third round.
Comfortable town win of 2-0 with us scoring very early.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:18:52 »

1-1

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 9, 2013, 12:58:18 »

A bonus northern fixture for me to get too so me, the old man, my little brother and a united fan are making the short trip from Manchester. Think if we get an early goal we could romp this but we rarely do well against non league and I remember seeing us comfortably beat here on the terrace a few years ago. Im going for a nervy 2-1 win after letting them back in from 2 nil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: